1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Advice for a Friend

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Major, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Major

Major Member

And I swear, this is for a friend. :)

OK, my friend has been dating someone for a few years. Recently (last few months), every time they'd fight, his girlfriend would turn it into a much bigger deal than it really was, talking about breaking up. On Friday night, they got into a normal fight (or so he says), and she was ready to end it again. However, through some discussion (and self-described groveling by my friend), she decided that they should stay together granted that they try to fix a lot of the problems. My friend was happy.

He goes out last night and meets a cute and funny girl (his words, haven't met her). They end up driving to Louisiana in the middle of the night and didn't get back until 11:30 this morning. Nothing too inappropriate happened, just some kissing. Then, to top it off when he gets home, his girlfriend tells him that she's rethinking her decision.

Now, he's not as upset by that prospect as he was yesterday. He met a girl that he really likes and apparently appears to like him. That, or it could be that he knows that his world won't come to an end if the relationship is over. Either way, he's kind of torn right now. Should he wait it out with his girlfriend and see what she wants to do? If he does that, should he break off contact with this girl? Should he just realize that there's a good chance that his girlfriend is going to break it off and beat her to the punch? This is a tough one, and it really doesn't help that they've been hanging out today and things seem to be going pretty good. Regardless, I've given him some opinions, but I thought I'd ask the great all knowing BBS for some advice.

Yeah, I'm bored and figured that you can never get enough relationship advice from the Clutchcity.net BBS! :)

2. Major

Major Member

Interesting... I think I just had an out-of-body experience! :)

#2 Major, Jan 12, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2003
  3. Nomar

Nomar Member

Hire me for your website to write movie reviews. You gotta have two guys, just look at Siskel and Ebert!

Also, just tell Blake to bang both of them. ;)

4. Major

Major Member

Also, just tell Blake to bang both of them.

HA! The guy needing advice did write the original post, but it's not Blake! Another goofy friend!

Hire me for your website to write movie reviews. You gotta have two guys, just look at Siskel and Ebert!

But Siskel died. I don't want to be responsible for one of y'all dying!

#4 Major, Jan 12, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2003
  5. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I say ditch the gal that he is with. She is nothing but a problem, especially if she starts threatning to break up with him over nothing. Take a chance with the new girl.***

*** - advice is retracted if current girlfriend is rich or extremely hot. ;)

6. drapg

drapg Member

I believe Chris Rock put it best when comparing and contrasting the merits of "commitment" and "new p***y"

7. Isabel

Isabel Member

If there are constant problems in a relationship, maybe that's a sign that something is just not quite right there - no matter how much both parties would like to make it work. This guy definitely needs to keep his options open; at least he's single and can do that. If there's some way he could emphasize that he wasn't about to settle down with anyone right now, and let the chips fall where they may...

8. Nomar

Nomar Member

You're kind of annoying, aren't you?

9. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I agree with Sonny and Isabel -- get rid of the current girl -- she's just going to keep being a problem in the future. This new girl may be worse, but I imagine that the current girl and said guy will always have problems and will eventually break up. Right now is probably the best time to end it because even if the new girl isn't "the one", it doesn't appear the old one is either. At least now he's got someone else lined up who COULD BE the one for him. Out of a bad relationship into a new one.

10. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

If someone is asking advice about this, I think they are unaware of the depth of their feelings for the girlfriend, so tread cautiously.

Is she still maybe the one?

I would ask her if she is aware of any reason why she's threatening to break-up all the time. If you feel it's the right thing to do, ask the gf if she agrees that ya'll need time apart for a while, given the consistent threats to break it off. You can both assess the situation after.

Until you understand your emotions about gf and your outlook with her, I would take it slowly with the new girl. New girl won't mind (prob. work in your favor), and you don't want to f.u. the 'real' thing.

IMHO.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If she has been threatening to leave, it is a power play....call her bluff let her go....

Go out with this other cute girl....no one should be in a manipulative relationship.

DD

12. Timing

Timing Member

Your friend is obviously ignorant of the interstate travel laws concerning girlfriends. If at any time you meet a girl one night and end up in another state with said girl and aren't home before 8am then you're as good as broken up already unless the guy is under the age of 21 in which case nothing really much matters anyway.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

When couples are together for years, it might be best to take a break in order to properly sort out their true feelings.

That she's manipulative or wishy washy probably means she's at a point where she wants more or something different.

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

he should think about who he feels the happiest with. If his girlfriend start to threaten him with breaking up he should think real hard if he stil want a relationship with her. But if he think she is the one than he should stay with her. But in my opinion (and i'm a romantic) if he really likes the other girl and even kissed her, he doesn't love his girlfrined anymore. and maybe he should just break up. and see what happens.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Alright, **** it. It's me. I had Major post it for me since RM95's Girl sometimes reads the board. However, I don't think she's read it in a long time, so I'll take my chances.

First off, this is her first relationship that's lasted this long. While she loves me very much, she's starting to feel in her mind that she should be ready to get married since we've been together over two years (even though we've only been in the same town for four months). I should also admit that I'm a moody little b****, and a lot of times she feels that she has to walk on egg shells around me in order to not set off some sort of bad mood. She's not any better, but she's more willing to take the steps that she feels is necessary to fix the problem (counseling, drugs, etc.). I'm really not. I'm much more willing to go see someone about my general moodiness, but I'm not a big fan of taking drugs to fix it. FWIW, I do think that I have a problem. Both of my sisters have had very similar problems...what can I say, the Giffords are a moody clan. However, it's been much, much worse in the past, and I think I'm doing a good job in changing my general mindset whenever I feel my mood is shifting. So, whenever we have a fight...and normally they're pretty raucous and blown out of proportion by the both of us, it leads to a big discussion about the state of our relationship. So, my general attitude towards fixing my problem and the fact that she's concerned about not wanting to be married at this point leads to this. That, and she's super stressed out with her job too (she's a first year attorney).

Anyway, so it happens this weekend, then right before I go out on Saturday night, she decides that we're going to stick it out. I go out to Deep Ellum, and meet this really cool girl. Like it's said, we went to Louisiana at 3:00 in the morning and had a great time. I could just write it off to having a good time after a ****ty couple of days with my girlfriend. However, you have to understand what kind of guy I am. Basically, I'm a p***y. There have probably been a grand total of five girls (girls I were interested in, not girls in general) I've ever gone up to in a bar or club (or class, or anywhere) and managed to put four coherent words together. One was with the current RM95's Girl, one was with the former, and one was the other night. So, that's got me thinking that there's a reason I was able to go talk to her, that and the timing of the whole thing.

Since last night, RM95's Girl has sounded more pleased with her decision to stay together, even though who knows what happens after our next fight (they happen about once every three months...that's another reason why they seem to be so serious, we hardly ever have them). I can't tell if that pleases me or not. Waking up next to her this morning felt right, but then so did thinking about this other girl. Like it or not, I'm at the point where I'm ready to get married, and I don't know if RM95's Girl will ever want to marry me. I have absolutely no clue about what this other girl is looking for. Honestly, it scares me that I could end it with RM95's Girl, and this other girl doesn't even want to talk to me anymore...even though it didn't seem that way at all when she dropped me off yesterday morning. I want to keep talking with her and see her again, but I don't want to be <B>that</B> guy (yeah, I know it sounds weird to some of you), but I'm also positive that I don't know if I want to leave RM95's Girl yet.

There are definite pros and cons to both, like job status, etc.

Oh yeah, did I mention this other girl is married? :D Well, technically. The divorce is final next month and her soon to be ex is generally thought to be gay, even though that does seem to throw a little wrench into the story.

Thanks for reading, and here's hoping that RM95's Girl doesn't. :)

16. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Dude, Rocketman you are toast. Subconsciously you must want out or why would you be walking the edge like this, knowing that at any moment said Contestant #1 could read this. Besides, as Timing pointed out there are some serious interstate relationship laws already broken, disclosure of which is guaranteed to get you a big slap upside the head.

Dump contestant #1.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You're nuts to post all that on the BBS if there is even the slightest chance that your girlfriend reads this. I'd ask Clutch to delete the thread if you even want to try continuing with the relationship.

For some reason, I think RM95's girl sounds like the better girl, although I have never met either one.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

There's actually no way she'll read it, actually.

19. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

How about you post a picture of both and we will vote on which one to keep? :D

Seriously though, that sucks. Have you tried any counseling yet? Why are you so against medication that may improve your life?

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That's a good idea :D.