1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hassan Whiteside

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Nov 27, 2013.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

12 blocks in 24 minutes. Wow.

2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

SMH as the hate is still flowing. Jeez. Some of y'all just don't know how or when to do this
    [​IMG]

1."downbytheriver"- you do know the point of revisiting this thread isn't/wasn't to say Whiteside is the second coming of Wilt, Russell or Olajuwon but rather to settle the point that he is actually a decent and serviceable NBA player right? I don't even think basketballholic was hyping him up as the next great NBA center. Just that he is better than several back up centers in the league and is good enough to play in the league. Even with a small sample size I think one can agree he is good enough to play in the Association.

2. "topfive"- As someone already noted, Whiteside isn't exactly a player one gameplans for a la Jeremy Lin or other non bigs. He doesn't run the point, he doesn't have plays run for him or set up the offense. You don't gameplan for a player like that. He isn't out there setting up on the block to run through various post moves like he is Ewing or Olajuwon. If anyone is getting the ball in the Miami post with frequency, it is Bosh. But sure, let's act like Whiteside is Lin or Mo Williams or Harden or some other guard or say a QB in the NFL like Case Keenum. I bet the opposing teams will study his tendencies and his post moves and his preferred plays so they can "jump routes" and all the other crap opponents do to players they have studied in the NFL and NBA. Or not...since he is a center that doesn't get many touches on the ball unless he is rebounding, blocking or Wade and Chalmers decide to be nice and let him touch the ball in the post.

Sheesh. I bet y'all still wont give up and just say "Dang I never thought the kid was any good but glad he is finally living up to potential, let's see how the rest of the season goes." Instead y'all keep the hateration going in this CF Dancery. :(

3. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Because of Maury's unhealthy obsession with Ray Lewis with a basketball. It wasn't enough to draft him when DeAndre Jordan was available, but after everybody realized he was a scrub after his first go around with Houston, Maury decided to bring him back for round 2, smh.

Respect... Let the haters hate. I advocated for Whiteside in the past as well.

4. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

This is a good message board, but one of the problems on ClutchFans is that this website has no shortage of trolls and haters who only remember the analysis and predictions that someone gets wrong, even though many of them will never make predictions themselves. I've made countless correct predictions based on my analysis over the years (see my Zach Randolph thread, DeAndre Jordan thread, and NBA Gambling thread for representative examples), but very few give you the credit that one deserves. Instead they want to ridicule and/or harp on the times a person has been wrong.

Let me give you a couple of examples of this unfortunate phenomenon that I've encountered:

My prediction in the 2013 NBA Finals thread before the series started was 100% accurate and absolutely perfect, but when the series was over and I pointed it out in the thread, I had someone come in and criticize me.

Most recently, in the game thread before the contest started, I hoped that the Rockets would play respectable before losing at GSW, but predicted that they would most likely end up losing by double digits. I received hate rep in response to what turned out to be a correct prediction.

There are many trolls on this site, but only a relatively small number of people that provide quality analysis. Instead of hatin' and critizcing, more people should be giving this man the respect that he deserves.

#84 Kwame, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So he did block more than Alonzo Mourning..

6. GoHarden

GoHarden New Member

All I know is that he's the my best waiver wire pickup in fantasy in years.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

LOLZ

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Some <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Knicks?src=hash">#Knicks</a> people were interested in signing Hassan Whiteside last year. NY later inked Lamar Odom, though it wasn't an &quot;either/or&quot; thing.</p>&mdash; Ian Begley (@IanBegley) <a href="https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/559474565953626112">January 25, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I never expected this kid to do so well. I thought he would always be a fringe player at best. We could sure use him right now, with Dwight being out.

It's good to see the young man being successful.

9. basketballholic

This.

Don't have to game plan for his offense. He's a garbage man. But nothing wrong with that.

However, his defense could be something teams have to game plan for. I think he's going to have a Larry Sanders effect on opponents shots around the rim. Maybe even more so. And if he keeps that up it could be a situation where teams make a concerted attempt to drag him out of the paint area.

10. ferrari77

Ridiculous!
    He already has TEN rebounds in the first 3 minutes of this game!:eek::eek::eek:

That kid is straight up eating on the Basketball court.

11. ferrari77

This sounds straight up absurd but Whiteside just might get 30 rebounds in tonight's game if he keeps up this pace.

I just had to look up the rebounding records. Wilt with 55 in 1960? Russell with 32 in a half and Nate Thurmond with 18 in a quarter. No way Whiteside gets to any of those records but 20-30 in a game this season would still be phenomenal for that young fella.

12. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Whiteside is a rebounding BEAST! He's also a great shot blocker.

Get 'em, Daryl.

13. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

I would easily trade the NOP pick for Whiteside. He just got more rebounds in eight minutes than the Mavs got points in 12 minutes (14-13)

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Why would Miami make that trade?

15. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Did he just grab 14 rebounds in the 1st Qtr?!

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Just saw that...crazy.

17. ferrari77

3rd quarter is a little more than halfway done and he already has 20 rebounds.

SMH

18. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Random but relevant now….

I shook hands with him at a Rockets game during his rookie year when he was drafted by the Kings in 2010. :cool: #coolstorybro

[​IMG]

#98 tinywang, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  19. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Low impact player...his play does not seem to get reflected in the W/L area.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

14 rebounds after one
    16 at half
    24 for the game

Son, I am disappoint. :p