1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gary Kubiak fired

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Dec 6, 2013.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Kubiak will never change. He's learned nothing.

It's really cute to see the old Texans gang getting back together up in Denver. Every time we play them from now on it will be like the Houston-Baltimore game earlier this year. Kubiak is a great gameplanner before tipoff, but he can't make adjustments. Period. Denver just regressed in terms of its coaching.

1 person likes this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

3. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

What are you talking about man? I was told by everyone here that Kubiak is the greatest coach ever. The Broncos just built the greatest dynasty for years to come. That 3rd down and 10 draw play is going to win multiple SBs for years to come.

4. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

And if the Texans had run a draw when they were backed deep into their own territory instead of getting picked off by Brett Keisel that night in Pittsburgh they may have won the game and made the playoffs.

Being conservative isn't always a bad idea.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm happy for them. I'm curious to see how Denver does, I'll probably watch some of their games next season now.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Well, we know they have 2 years. Wade's defense only has a 2-3 yr shelf life of productivity. If Manning stays, I'd make they the early favorite for next season.

Though, hearing Archie Manning on 610 this morning, Peyton hasn't even begun to decide if he's going to play again.

7. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

So if the game was on the line or in OT, you would be absolutely fine with a draw? Because Kubiak is the perfect guy for that. It's not just the plays called,It's also the situations in which they are called.

Also, one interception would not have change that trainwreck of a game. It was an overall mediocre performance across the board.

8. Major

Major Member

Can you point to a single person here who has said that Kubiak is the greatest coach ever? When you feel you have to constantly create strawmen to make your argument, it speaks volumes.

9. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Go back and watch the lions and jags games from 2012 or the 2nd half of the ravens game from 2010. Kubiaks offense could go up tempo or 4 wide if needed to. Anyone who thinks his offense was all bootlegs and draws really wasn't paying attention.

And I'm fine with minimizing mistakes and not putting your team in a bad spot with silly turnovers.

10. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

It's called hyperbole. People will go on a limb to defend this guy as one of the best coaches ever when ironically they were probably the same fans calling for his exit because of how mediocre he was. I just find the situation stupid and hilarious. Why the hell not make a joke out of it?

11. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

I am "well aware" that the offense is not just play action/ bootleg. That still however doesn't answer the question. What's worse, risking a turnover or winning the game in a critical situation? You tell me.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You say it was hyperbole, but then you immediately follow that up with people going on a limb to defend the guy as one of the best coaches ever...

I dont think anyone here has ever said such a thing.

13. Major

Major Member

It's called a strawman. No one has remotely claimed what you said they did.

Except no one is defending him as one of the best coaches ever.

So you find a situation that doesn't actually exist outside of your own mind to be stupid. OK, I guess. :confused:

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

definition of insanity

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

So, uh, is that part hyperbole too? Because it's basically the same thing you said earlier.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Likewise, anyone who thinks the other 31 teams are doing anyting remarkably different is paying even less attention.

Watch how often teams call draws or screens on third and long: it's far more often than you apparently realize. Generally, it's difficult for teams to convert third-and-longs; opponents can sit on the first down marker and keep the play in front of them. That's a why a run/draw can be effective; the defense is likely to be playing off the line of scrimmage and its the one down in which the defenders are more likely to fire down field rather than up, creating space underneath that gives your playmakers room to make things happen.

Arguing that it's better to have your QB throw into heavy coverage reveals a fundamental misunderstanding of football. Even in a deperate, have-to-have-it situation, you're much better off splitting the distance into two plays and going for it than you are trying to push a defense 10+ yards downfield when the entire unit is specifically covering that.

17. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Surfing Wikipedia and learned that Wade Phillips' daughter was Helena in the My Chemical Romance video. Did not know that.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dk5-gCc_4s4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Already!? He just got to Denver! Give the guy a chance! I blame Phillips.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Looks like they are regressing their way back to the Super Bowl.

Congrats, Gary and Wade!

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Some of the best defense I have ever seen.