1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2016 80s, 90s, 00s NON MVPs Draft

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by LCAhmed, Jul 7, 2016.

1. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Well i guess Lamar was pretty solid, so scratch that last one about SF.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Majerle was 2x All-Defense and Manu is more than decent. Also have DJ, who could defend 1-3 easily. My whole starting five consists of athletic and good defenders who can switch and not allow easy ISO, plus I have DJ on the bench to put on perimeter players and wreak havoc.

I could also ask how Hardaway, Allen, Pierce and Francis are going to defend Isiah, Manu, Majerle, Redd, Ellis and DJ. Think my 1-3 position is much better defensively.

3. VBG

VBG Member

Yup. Isiah is going to go off as well. Also, I honestly I don't rate Dan Majerle as such a defensive stopper without hand checking. He's very good but not special. DJ is too small to guard Pierce. Gerland Wallace and Doug Christie are pretty solid defensively.

I honestly don't like players like Steve Francis much in these kinds of drafts.

4. VBG

VBG Member

Also, I don't see Isiah doing as well in the switching defense. I prefer my team with Penny, Moncrief and T-Mac switching :p

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

FTW 3 vs Donatas 2

Horry 4 vs kevC 3

Fallen 0 vs Jamers 6

JMC 4 vs don grahamleone 0

Von Rafer LOL vs RedN Doesn't matter, Von ain't taking it.

oelman 1 vs Jontro 3

VBG 1 vs thething 2

LCA 1 vs Tizzle 1

C mon guys, even if we made it first to 4, only 4 matchups have been decided, one of them was a give me because we drafted scraps.

#1145 LCAhmed, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

How does James vs fallen and Horry vs kevC get so many votes while the brehs of tizz vs LCA only get 2?

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I think FTW vs. me is at 3-2 now, i got a couple votes.

i've still got a couple matchups to vote on, but im on the road soon. ill try to later.

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Can I vote for myself or nah?

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Will give explanations alter:
    Donatas
    Horry
    Jamers
    JMC
    Thing

Can't decide on Jontro vs oelman, will decide later.

10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

The rule is to not vote on your own match up as more often than not (with the exception of don apparently) you will vote for yourself.

11. thething

thething Contributing Member

Fallen vs Jamers

I like Jamers team here. Got a good playmaker in Kevin Johnson. Mullin and Stackhouse are nice scorers. Pippen can matchup with Nique and limit him somewhat. Sampson will be tough to stop though Smits at least as some length. Baron Davis is super athletic but a little inefficient for me.

Overall I have to go with Jamers, though.

Fallen

Baron Davis/Andre Miller
    Joe Dumars/John Starks
    Dominique Wilkins/Lamar Odom
    Al Jefferson/Luis Scola
    Ralph Sampson/Andrew Bynum

vs

Jamers

PG - Kevin Johnson
    SG - Chris Mullin
    SF - Scottie Pippen
    PF - Jermaine O'Neil
    C - Rik Smits

Bench
    PG - Jason (White Chocolate) Williams
    SG - Michael Cooper
    SF - Jerry Stackhouse
    PF - LaMarcus Aldridge
    C - Shawn Bradley

12. VBG

VBG Member

LCA vs Tizzle

After doing some more research, Gilmore was a pure power player with not great hands. I think Ben Wallace is the ideal counter to someone who is a pure power player. The Sheed-Ben combo is fantastic defensively and Sheed's length will really both Webber. Sheed slowed down Prime Timmeh. It balances the insane passing that Yung-T's team has.

I like the way LCA's team plays together more with one pure ball dominant guard. One wing. Good spacing. Artis was a bit of a black hole with not great hands. Both Isiah and Manu are purely ball dominant guys.

Two of the strongest teams out there. Hardest pick IMO. Both teams have fantastic spacing on offense and very solid defense. I do see Pierce going off as there isn't really a perimeter stopper to challenge him. You're asking a lot of Manu to be the main defensive stopper.

I am assuming Antoine Walker never plays. If he plays, I switch my vote

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Power player? Do some real research now. He was huge, yes he turned the ball over, but so did Hakeem and no one here would dare argue that Hakeem had less than great hands.

I'm curious, what research made you think Artis had brick hands?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JeTiJKrhuX8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

^^
    Yea, Gilmore was known for his great touch and to be one of the more skilled bigs. Don't know where VBG got his info from.

15. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Gilmore won an MVP so you are disqualified from the draft LMFAO

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

ABA MVP doesn't count in an NBA draft, obviously.

17. VBG

VBG Member

First of all, we're not including ABA career.

Second of all, I meant hands in the context of being a PnR partner. Not in terms of touch around the basket.

He also played in an era of no help defense which should have actually helped his turnover numbers not hurt them IMO.

And I have no idea how you can question the fact that he was a complete power player. He also peaked in the ABA (was still damn good in the NBA)

Some sources + other stuff I looked up. I avoid player interviews since I don't trust players to rate their competition in the same era. Robert Parish did say he was stronger than Shaq but much less mobile.
    http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1035954
    http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1403558

18. VBG

VBG Member

Also, comparing their best years. Artis Gilmore's turnover rate is 40% higher than Hakeem.

Just FYI

19. don grahamleone

Why on earth would you play pick and roll with all those great passers? Also, a missed shot is a lot like a turnover. Artis makes up that TO dif on making the highest career percentage of shots in NBA history!

I'll check out those links after dinner though, thx.

#1159 don grahamleone, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  20. don grahamleone

He tried to play the douche, but the douche got shut down!

[​IMG]

What's next, John Stockton got MVP of his little league baseball team so he's DQ'd?