1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] The cost of playing through pain

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cloudx9, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Cloudx9

Cloudx9 Member

2. Exiled

Exiled Member

After Carl Lnadry , Greg Smith, he better be smarter and think of him self 1st.

3. Cloudx9

Cloudx9 Member

Btw I'm a big fan of Lin's, but I expect him to give 100% effort on defense seeing what Beverley is willing to do.

4. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Not worth it. We are not a championship team yet. We need Bev for his future years more.

5. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Worried about Bev. The way he looked last game was in pain. Meniscus tears normally don't look painful. But when it happens the player usually needs time off. As much of a factor Bev is, it's probably best he sit out

6. sutton

sutton Member

So, if he worn out before big contract year, will morey give him an appreciation pay?

7. sutton

sutton Member

Btw I'm a big fan of Harden's, but I expect him to give 50% effort on defense seeing what Beverley is willing to do.

1 person likes this.
  8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Nope, prudence is always the better part of valor.

He should have sat down when he injured his knee last game. He let DL get off on him in OT. He hurt the team by staying in.

If he's favoring that leg, he won't be effective. Rest him for a game or 2.

If we can't win it without him, we don't deserve it this year.

9. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Beverley is my favorite player on this team, but he should have come out of the game after Aldridge hurt him. He was not capable of playing after that, and Lillard blew by him twice on the next two possessions to win the game for the Blazers. As much as I thought Bev had a good game last night, the last coupole possessions he should have been off the floor. Anyone would have done a better job than how he was hobbled at the end of the game.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im getting the feeling (even though they aren't saying it) that Bev and his doctors are probably thinking that he's most likely going to have to have surgery in a few weeks when the playoffs are over-with anyways so the worst that can happen is he tears his meniscus worse and they have to repair it surgically anyways.

Like Bill Worrell said the other day, Bev has been playing on a slightly torn meniscus, for two years now, but that doesn't mean it might not be a bad idea to get it repaired surgically in the offseason anyways now that they know its going to be an issue for him in the future regardless.

I'm not a doctor but IMO, I really dont see where its going to impact his future. I think either way you look at it, he's probably going to miss the first quarter of next season if he has surgery which he should. If playing another game or two isn't going to make it worse than why not play?

11. sutton

sutton Member

Disagree, if you actually watch the replay, blazers run good play sets, three consecutive screens were set for Lillard to catch and shoot that 3, Beverley down at second screen, still there was third screen waiting...

12. rokit

rokit Member

Haberstroh fishing for clicks. Bev is not an idiot

13. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I'm not talking about the three, I am talking about the two drives to the basket where he went right past Bev. The first one Bev blocked the shot from behind, the next one was a score (can't remember if it was a layup or if Bev fouled him and sent him to the line).

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Just as an FYI, its totally normal for an athlete to come back to practice from a torn meniscus surgery within 3 to 6 weeks. I think Russ Westbrook came back a few weeks later himself.

If Bev has surgery this Summer, it is totally possible that he is back and ready to go by training camp.

Thats assuming he hurts it worse and has to have surgery which is worse case scenario by playing on it right now.

I think Bev's career is ok if its just his meniscus and he doesn't have other serious issues going on like degenerative knees or cartilage damage.

15. clutz

clutz Member

RIP Beverley

16. torocan

torocan Member

Don't be so sure. Highly competitive individuals are notorious for sacrificing their bodies, and sometimes that leads to taking too much risk.

Considering Beverley hasn't gotten his first big contract yet, how many NBA veterans would tell him to risk his health and future contract? Would we view this the same way if the Rockets end up eliminated and Beverley shortens his career or ends up with a much worse contract when he hits FA?

At some point a player needs to weigh their future against their desire to win. Yes, there are times you do what you need to do. Right now it's nowhere near a clear decision.

Hopefully Beverley truly isn't risking further injury to the knee. I would rather we lose some games in a season when we're far from favored to win a chip and have his contributions for future seasons when we're better positioned to compete than get knocked out by the Spurs and end up seeing Beverley lose the spot in the NBA that he's worked so hard to earn.

Losing Beverley in this year's play offs would hurt. Losing Beverley for the rest of his career would be much, much worse.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

His doctors cleared him. That's really all there is to it. Apparently Haberstroh thinks he knows better than they do whether Bev should play.

18. Play07

Play07 Member

all I know is the rockets better win this series!!! too much is going into this bev Defense situation if you ask me. I want to see lillard have under 15 points for me to get on board.

its not about BEV its about team D. what the grizllies did last night with conley, lee, allen on the wings checking westbrook and durant thats real TEAM D. Having bev is great but him giving 100% and harden giving 25% wont cut it

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Bev just needs to look at his coach to see the cost of playing through pain - McHale has a limp now because of playing on a injured leg during his playing career to help his team. I doubt Bev risks anything if the doctors gave him the slightest inclination that he shouldnt play

20. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I blame Mchale, harden, and howard. If those guys made free throws or made good decisions, we wouldn't be in OT and Bev wouldn't have gotten hurt