1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Shabazz Napier isn't in the top 10 in this draft, then maybe some scouts need to reevaluate their

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by what, Apr 5, 2014.

1. what

what Member

I don't see 10 gets better than shbazz napier, I'm sorry. To me this guy is what bradley beal was SUPPOSED to be. Namely, Kemba Walker.

2. TMac&Cheese

TMac&Cheese Rookie

We will find out today IMO. Guy is incredible tho

3. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

What exactly do you mean?

4. what

what Member

That Bradley Beal was an over-hyped bust.

5. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

And what's your take on Kemba?

6. Willard Decker

You're calling a player who's averaging double-figure points and shoots a high percentage from both three-point territory and the foul-line--and is in his second season in the NBA--a bust? What exactly were you expecting Beal to do? The Wizards are a playoff team this season and have clearly improved since he joined the team.

Please think before you post.

--Captain Decker

7. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Brad Beal is a 6'5" SG who's 20 years old and in his 2nd year in the NBA.

Shabazz Napier is a 6'1" (generous) PG who's 22 years old and in his 4th year in college.

I like Napier but this comparison makes absolutely no sense. Napier should, and likely will be a late-1st to early-2nd round prospect.

8. Willard Decker

^To follow up on my previous post, I'll add that comparing Napier and Beal doesn't make sense given that they play different positions. Also of note, Beal is almost two years younger than Napier and has already proven that he can play meaningful minutes at the NBA-level. To act as though he's a failure because he's fallen short of some arbitrary standard set by a player playing at the collegiate level is ridiculous and demonstrates a complete lack of common sense.

Beal may not have an NCAA Championship to his credit, but he has done something that Napier has yet to prove he can do: play in the NBA.

--Captain Decker

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

'what' is the king of overreaction and hyperbole. Don't take him too seriously.

10. Willard Decker

Noted for future reference.

--Captain Decker

11. what

what Member

I don't think it is hyperbole to say that Shabazz Napier, who before the tournament was a middle second round pick, should be a lot higher in the draft, should be ranked far higher than that.

But J Sizzle, I'm sure you know more about basketball than I do.

What was hyperbole and overreaction was to draft bradley beal in a slot where he'd have to be dwade to get a return on investment, in a draft where, Andre Drummond, John Henson, Harrison Barnes, Lillard, Sullinger, all came out.

Also, in point of fact, why I compare Napier to Beal is because unlike the experts on this board, I never considered Beal a shooting guard to begin with, I saw him for what he realize was an undersized hybrid, shoot-first point guard.

Any fool would know that bradley beal wasn't going to be able to play shooting guard in the nba, hell miami spent years trying to figure out the dwade puzzle before dwade finally was able to settle into the sg position[re: bulking up] to play the position.

So instead of talking out your ass, why not consider actually doing some logical thinking for once.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You should consider that projecting basketball talent into the NBA is a crap shoot. At best. Even Morey, who probably has had the best success over the last decade drafting second round players, missed badly choosing MM over Leonard. The only way to know if the other teams screwed up is when the Spurs draft a player.

And why is the EC so inferior to the WC? One answer is easy. EC teams cannot draft well to save their a**.

Beal is most definitely not a bust at SG. He has developed into a reasonable starter in the NBA. And that is about all that a team can hope for. The Bobcats missed badly with MKG, Detroit fell somehow into Drummond. Cleveland would do better just checking into nbadraft.net and choosing whoever they recommend. And Portland lands Lilliard, a gem. In retrospect Washington could have made a better choice. But they got a NBA starter out of it.

13. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

He may have been a little over-hyped but he's definitely not a bust. He was drafted at 3rd and in a re-draft he'd probably be drafted 4th or 5th (in a very solid draft), if someone is a bust they wouldn't be picked within two spots of where they were actually drafted.

14. Willard Decker

You'll find that your position on this issue is a lonely one.

A completely ridiculous statement. Beal has developed into a solid starter on a playoff team. Were the 2012 draft repeated, it's likely he would be selected a few spots lower to make room for Drummond, who's developed much faster than expected. He struggled mightily in his lone college season, the primary reason his stock fell.

Damian Lillard was a surprise as Rookie of the Year. Sullinger fell due to concerns about his back, an issue that had nothing at all to do with Beal. And what makes you think Barnes and Henson have been any better than Beal? Barnes is a rotation player at Golden State but nothing special. Henson is a solid role-player on the league's worst team.

I reiterate that Beal is a starter who plays meaningful minutes on a playoff team. That the Eastern Conference is weaker than the West is hardly his fault, as he can affect only the outcomes of games that he plays in.

That you consider him to be that type of player doesn't make it so. He plays shooting guard for Washington. John Wall is that team's primary ball-handler. But don't let facts get in the way of your analysis.

Except that he's doing exactly that and is getting better at it. And as the Miami Heat won an NBA Championship during Wade's third season (one more season of experience than Beal currently has), it seems to me they figured out how to use him fairly quickly.

You first.

2 people like this.
  15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

It's funny because what is always wrong.

16. Willard Decker

That won't stop him. As much as they knowledge and common sense, stupid people are even more lacking in restraint. He'll be back to grace us with his infinite wisdom soon enough.

--Captain Decker

17. CertifiedTroll

Bradley Beal 20 years old and 17 ppg >40% from NBA 3 PT line

Shabazz Napier 22 years old and 18 ppg <40% from College 3 PT line

Bradley Beal > Shabazz Napier

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

Bradley Beal definitely is not a bust but I agree with What it is insane at how low Shabazz is projected to be picked.

Maybe this run will make his stock skyrocket.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Oh look! Another Shabazz Napier thread!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PCij475dESw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Stop arguing with what, it's a waste of time.