1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Auto Repair Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JeopardE, May 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Looks like I have to replace my engine mounts, and they're saying it's not covered under my extended warranty.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can get this fixed up without making another ridiculously large dent in my wallet?

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Moestavern19 is an auto mechanic. I think he does cheap labor on an hourly wage, I'd try him.

No, but seriously, I think you should try Auto Zone. I think they have installation for like 50 bucks and the labor shouldn't cost that much. Engine mounts usually run for what 60, 70 bucks? Not too bad...

EDIT: Also was going to ask, what is the make, model and year of the car?

#2 ItsMyFault, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  3. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

WTF is the warranty worth? Man those jerks called me night and day for my cars when they got around 3 years old. Seriously like a solid year of calls like I owed them money or something. Just trying to sell me a useless warranty.

What kind of car do you have? Do you have any friends with an engine lift? Or any desire to do they work yourself?

4. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Year and model?

5. JeopardE

The car is an '04 Altima 2.5.

Yeah, I'm rather pissed right now. Stupid warranty covers everything except the stuff that breaks.

I'd be surprised if AutoZone could do the installation for cheap -- that sounds too good to be true.

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Some AutoZones do it.. It just depends on who works there. It's not an official installation... it's like a side thing mainly.

7. DaDream

DaDream Member

I replaced my motor mounts once. It was an older car though. I located the mounts placed a floor jack under the center of the motor. removed the bolts on the mounts , jacked up the motor a little bit .... took the mounts off and replaced them. .... lowered the motor and tightened the bolts. Was a little easier than I thought. But it was a 70's car so yours my be a little harder to work on.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

While you're replacing those motor mounts make sure to swap out the muffler bearings -- you don't want to have to take the engine out again.

9. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

:eek: :eek:

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My engine mounts have been busted for half a decade.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Anyone know about control arms? The ones on my '03 A4 need to be replaced.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Anyone know about CD players? The one on my '03 Camry needs to be fixed.

:p

13. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Wait until you have real engine trouble, then the cost of the labor can be rolled into the extended warranty and you only have to pay for the mounts.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Warranty's never cover wear and tear. Engine mounts are considered wear and tear. I suppose you want your tires replaced too? Maybe even free fillups?

Mine have needed replaced for nearly a decade ... i guess it depends on if you care or not.

15. BigSherv

Most cars drive like new after you get them fixed. My 02 maxima did.

16. BigSherv

If you have steering wheel controls find a place that repairs the head unit. It may cost 200 bucks. If you don't have steering wheel controls just get a new deck.

I had 2 head units go bad in my maxima. Warranty covered it but they said the unit is 1800 buck. I raped the hell out of my extended warranty.

Best 800 bucks I ever spent.

17. BigSherv

on our TL the dealer covered them when they had to replace the tranny under warranty but he said usually they charge for it.

18. JeopardE

Well I was trying to ignore the rough idle at first, but now there's this low rattling sound coming from the engine at low RPMS. It's kinda bothersome and I'm worried that it could lead to further damage to other parts.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Considering the abuse Honda/Acura takes over TL's transmissions, they were probably just trying to save themselves a customer. :D What year TL? 01-03'ish?