1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So far - the series hasn't really begun.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NewYorker, Apr 29, 2007.

1. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Yeah - because all we have seen is both teams hold serve.

The Jazz gave us emnormous fits the last two games, especially the last game tonight. They beat us in pretty much every aspect of the game. Which usually tells you that we were probably just content to be there.

The worrying sign is that the Jazz seem to have figured out how to guard Yao and T-mac pretty well - and that there is no sign the rest of the team can perform. I know I said we had too many scrubs to win - but geez, this is ridiculous. Head, Rafer, Battier, Mutombo, Howard, and Synder - are you guys just not up to task?

Regardless - all of this will be sorted out Monday - game 5. If we lose - the series is over because I don't think we can bounce back and win in Utah. And a victory will show us that the last two games don't mean squat and Jerry Sloan hasn't figured out anything.

So there it is - it's all about Monday. I hope our guys show up.

2. tinypure

tinypure Contributing Member

excuse me, Snyder got 0 mins in the 1st game, 2 mins in the 2nd, and DNP in the 3rd. How can SNYDER show up????

Just blame JVG !!!

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think the Rockets can win Monday but what's pressing is what if we didn't have home court advantage? Championship teams can pull out some wins on the road, and judging by what I've seen in Games 3 and 4, they aren't "there" yet. It's comforting to know that the Rockets can come home and, if needed, can come home again for Game 7. But they still need to put together some good performances if they want to survive after Game 5, much less the 2nd round.

4. NewYorker

Yeah well, we're not a championship team - so let's just stop thinking that way anyway. We're just trying to win the first playoff series in 10 years - and we have to do it any way we can. If we depend on HCA then so be it - that's what Utah gets for handing it to us. All that matters is winning the series - period.

5. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

You are absolutely 100% correct.

1st round is all that matters, and I'm not taking any shame in the fact we need homecourt to do it right now...

And it's not good to worry about championship teams yet because if T-Mac can't even step up his play in the playoffs smallest stage (the first round) what do you think it will be like on basketball's biggest (nba Finals)?

6. Hmm

Hmm Member

Another year of waiting = an older, streakier, slower, more despondant McGrady.

7. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

Utah has the momentum going into game 5, but the Rockets have homecourt. The question is really, what is going to be better?

We cannot expect the role players to play big next game. Either TMac or Yao have a monster game, or it is over. I was actually more troubled by Yao today than TMac. I think I am used to TMac playing incredible games and then sucking really bad. If you watched the game it seemed he was not existant. And then you look at the stats and he shot over 50%!!! It just did not seem like that during the game. He needs to be more aggresive.

8. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

"The series hasn't started until the home team loses" is one of the dumbest quotes in sports. The series starts when the ball is thrown up for the tip in Game 1.

The Rockets have not played well in ANY of the games so far, and it's been getting progressively worse as we go along. This series has definitely started, and at the moment the Rockets are down on the ground getting kicked in the face and it doesn't look like they even care to fight back.

9. Hmm

Hmm Member

So... what's the point in getting past the first round again..?

More experience for Yao.. so, when he's 30.. he can take us to the promise land along with... ?

10. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

If the series hasn't started yet, the Jazz still have a chance of sweeping us.

11. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

Dream was 31 when he won his first championship. It is not easy to win championships. Particularly if you are a Western Conference team that makes it exhausted to the finals. We need a bench, otherwise these guys cannot make it even through 7 playoff games.

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Don't bother. They're using the "we don't care if we don't win the championship, we're just glad to be here" approach.

I don't think we're a 100% championship-caliber team, but we're a lot closer than most teams. When you have the 4th best record in the West, you have to believe that there's a chance you can go all the way. That means you have to believe that EVERY SINGLE GAME counts, home court or no home court. I can predict right now what McGrady will say tomorrow..."We had some tough losses in Utah but this is why we fought for home court advantage--so that we can have our fans behind us and win in our own house". Which is all fine and dandy, but I don't remember watching a championship team never winning on the road before.

13. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Well, last time I checked, you had to make the second round before even getting a shot to get to the finals.

My master plan is that once we're in the second round, we can talk about that, then if we get to the WCF, we have to worry about that before talking about the finals...but THEN we can talk about the finals and a championship.

But if you could hack the system and bypass us all the way to the Finals, or hell, to game 7 with :01 left on the clock and we are up 10, that's all good too. Then, the first round means nothing.

:p

14. Rockets64

Rockets64 Member

The series was decided before Game 1 even started. Rockets win the series because they have HCA. Look at the differences in performance for each team at home and on the road. Neither team looks capable of winning a single road game. Rockets win by default.

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

"I have a bad feeling about this"

[​IMG]

16. aaronnguyen

aaronnguyen Member

Rockets never change their personel changed but their style never change. Being a Rockets' fan you have to get used to being down but not out. Rockets never want to go easy route when their back is against the wall that when they are bounce back. That is why we have the name clutch city. Go Rockets let take care game 5 and finish Jazz in 6 at their home.

17. yobod

yobod Member

You hit the nail on the head. However, I think the most troubling aspect about all of this is that we have yet to really LOOK like a team that even deserves to win a first round series. T-Mac has been pathetic outside of the second half of game 1 and our so-called role players aren't even worth mentioning. Guys like Head, Lucas, Howard.....even Mutombo just haven't shown up to play, and I don't understand it. I'm wondering if T-Mac's lack of any fire has worn on the team, and kinda made everyone (outside of Yao) lackluster, or if the Jazz really are just that much better than us....either way, it's upsetting to think about.

18. NewYorker

Until someone wins on the road - you can't be sure who the better team is - that's what that quote means.

In this case, it might take until game 7.

I expect us to bounce back in game 5 - still, it won't tell us who is better - just that both teams can hold serve.

19. NewYorker

We need a first round victory. Something - anything to build off of. Another first round defeat would be disasterous.

20. NewYorker

Everything rests with Game 5

Everything rests with Game 5

Outside of the comforts of home...there are a few other likely reasons.

One - the pressure is truly on T-mac. He, more than anyone out there knows - that the next few games are what might be his best chance to redefine who he is as a player

Is he one of the Elite players - or is he another Dominique? Or a Glen Rice? Just a very good player who looks like an super-star at times, but really can't deliver the goods when it's really needed

Two. Our bench can't play worse then they have been across the board. Credit the Jazz for a lot of it - but head, howard, and co are likely to have a decent game.

three - we've been humilated. Really humiliated. Game 3 and 4 were low-marks in the Rockets playoff history. Game 3 was an embarassment on paper. The third quarter of Game 4 was so sad for the T-mac end of half snafu and then rafer-heads clownish end to the 3rd Q. These things in my mind were worse than losing the first two games at home to Phoenix in '94, and 05's 40 point loss to Dallas). Usually, teams do one of two things after being brutally humbled like this. They die - usually weak teams do this - like the Orlando Magic of old. Or they bounce back. Like the Rockets of old.

So we just have to see now which one we are. If we lose on Monday - the series is over. We'll hang our heads and die - we won't survive game 6. But a victory promises a redeming and career defining game 7 for both Yao and T-mac - and that will be enough to bring us to the second round.

Game 5. I can't wait. If we're clutch - than it'll be awesome. And if not, well, these guys on the court don't deserve to be wearing a Rockets uniform. One thing is for certain, man - isn't it great? How long has it been - 2 years? Once in the past 10.

This sure beats figuring out who to pick in the draft. Bring on Game 5!