1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Picking the most clutch in NBA playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, Apr 18, 2014.

1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Yup, and even without free throws, his eFG% is still higher than the likes of Curry, Paul and Durant.

So Harden basically debunks the myths that he is bad in crunch time because he relies on free throws (he scores efficiently even without free throws), and the fact that Harden won't get free throws in crunch time (he still gets it consistently).

2. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Harden shoots 0.24 FTs per minute for the whole game, and 0.54 per minute in crunch time.

3. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

I'm guessing Durant was an accident?

4. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Oh, you mean in "crunch-time."

5. WinkFan

Durant is actually quite a bit worse than normal in crunch time. It's just he takes so many shots there's always one to remember every game.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

What a weapon to have in the playoffs.

If we can ever surround him with some real shooters, it is going to be a "pick your poison" nightmare for opponents. Do you double Mr. Clutch or leave a pure shooter wide open?

7. roadstone

roadstone Member

What happened to Damian Lillard?

8. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

It's one team leader per team aka LA in Portland's case

9. WinkFan

Aldridge is Portland's highest usage guy, that's why he is on the list. Lillard's numbers are much better, though. If Lillard was on the chart I posted, he would be just about where Mike Conley is.

10. Zergling

Zergling Member

Should we look to Jeremy Lin to be our closer as opposed to James Harden?

11. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

James has already taken his game up a notch from last year. Every late game winning or tieing shot, I kind of expect it to go in. Its no surprise anymore. The beard is getting scary good and growing right in front of our eyes.

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

James Harden has been nothing short of amazing this year.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Only if we can't trade Harden for Paul George.

14. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

It's crazy to think about how much James has grown from last year to this year. He has always been pretty clutch, even in his OKC days but last year, it seemed he was trying to get the foul instead of trying to make the shot. I remember a lot of people hating on him for that. I was very frustrated with him also. But this year, he has been nothing short of amazing in clutch situations. He might have played a horrible game but the fourth quarter/last 5 minutes, he can just turn it on. I'm not surprised by that graphic. We could all see him doing it on a nightly basis. Simply amazing!

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Harden's biggest improvement in terms of crunch time has definitely been his shooting.

Last year, he shot 31.4% from mid-range and 32.1% from long 2s.
    This year, he shot 46.2% from mid-range and 41% from long 2s.

The numbers might still not be that overwhelming, but keep in mind that almost none of these shots are assisted. Meaning they mostly came from half-court setting in likely iso settings. If you take that into account, these numbers aren't half bad. And I certainly remember a lot of these mid-range jumpers go through during crunch time that I don't remember last year.

16. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Is there some way to measure the amount of points as well?

Parker/Conley might have the higher TS% but I'm guessing there's a huge point disparity between them and Harden.

17. WinkFan

If you roll your mouse over the individual players, it gives pts/36 minutes, plus a bunch of other stats.

18. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Damn, Harden has the highest pts/36, even higher than Durant. Didn't expect that.

What a beast.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

How is Durantula ranked that low?