1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Houston Dynamo / MLS Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jan 11, 2014.

1. SexyButIgnorant

Dynamo have sucked! what's wrong?

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Atlanta and Arthur Blank getting the 22nd MLS franchise and will start play in the new Falcons stadium in 2017. There's apparently technology being used in construction of the stadium that will allow it to be downsized for soccer.

Good move by the MLS. Gives the new FL teams another southeastern rival. Puts the MLS in the 9th largest market in the country. It will not be the Silverbacks or related to the Silverbacks.

Not sure who's next. San Antonio, St. Louis (still the most obvious location, IMO), Sacramento, Phoenix, and even Austin have all been mentioned recently as being in the running. I don't think the west coast needs another team right now. I think there's plenty of room for one in the middle of the country. San Antonio already has a stadium that was designed to be expanded should they get a team. St. Louis has been the center of soccer in the US for decades. Look at the list of talent that has come out of that region. It's pretty unreal they didn't get one from the get-go.

3. Beavis Stiffler

It's like they're in the same direction as last year's Texans. Hopefully it's not as worst. No way they can lose 14 or more games in a row.:confused:

4. Beavis Stiffler

I think it's either going to be San Antonio or Sacramento. But I'm rooting for San Antonio so MLS can have its own version of the Texas Triangle just like in the NBA.

5. Beavis Stiffler

This is somewhat good news for the development of young U.S. soccer players.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/04/16/houston-dynamo-become-latest-mls-franchise-launch-u-23-team

http://www.houstondynamo.com/news/2014/04/houston-dynamo-launch-under-23-team

6. SexyButIgnorant

Wow that's awesome! Especially for me. The more soccer that the Dynamo organization plays, the more money I make! Woo!

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't get the Atlanta move

A historically bad sports town in a league that should really focus on places that will fill seats. ATL will never do that imo, so many better options available

8. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

There might be better options but that doesn't mean there are potential owners willing to pony up the expansion fee and provide a suitable stadium arrangement, e.g. St. Louis. (NYCFC don't have a great stadium arrangement but it's NY and that's every league commish's favourite).

Atlanta doesn't seem ideal but just like Miami it is intriguing and can either work very well or end up being terrible. Not much middle ground.
    Anyway, they seem to have a committed owner and a stadium arrangement better than New York and Miami at the moment.

As long as they can put 15-20k in the seats each week then they'll be fine. No easy thing but I feel Atlanta just may surprise MLS fans.

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I'm as much a St. Louisian as I am a Houstonian in terms of the American cities I claim, and I would love to see STL get a team and give SKC a good rivalry but at the moment they are behind others. No viable ownership group at the moment. Then a stadium situation would have to be sorted.

Word seems to be that Minnesota are better placed/ahead of every other team you mentioned in terms of getting the next team to be announced. Same stadium arrangement as ATL and Vancouver I believe.

10. leroy

That's a shame they can't find a group in STL. I hadn't heard Minnesota as being in the lead but, at the pace they're moving, anything is possible.

11. leroy

[​IMG]

What a s***tastic day for Houston sports yesterday. Dynamo blown out 4-0. Astros lose chance at sweep in the bottom of the 9th. I heard we have a basketball team that played last night but I only saw Dwight Howard vs. the Trailblazers.

12. Beavis Stiffler

Not the result we wanted but at least there's one team from Houston that did not lose to Portland:eek:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mUi4BfMhEkA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

14. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

no highlight of the handball on rickettes?

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Nothing came out of it. :(

16. K mf G

really, i just wanted to see what the play looked like, when i was there it looked like the keeper came out of the box and used his hands, i thought it should have been a card

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Ah, cool. :cool:

However, the official minimum sanction for a goalkeeper handling the ball after it has been passed by a teammate is a yellow card, at least, and the ref didn't give it. And if deliberate and being unsportsmanlike conduct detrimental to The Game according with the rules and the ref it should be a send off. :eek:

#117 SwoLy-D, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  18. Beavis Stiffler

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JzBBMVSLay8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  19. SexyButIgnorant

So how about those Houston Dash! Lost 4-0 last night. They're not very good.

20. K mf G

nice pass from boniek and finish from barnes in his first goal