1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

My Top-100 Prospects

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Sen89, Apr 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Sen89

Sen89 Member

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Dante won't have anything to do with being a SG, get him in the PG list

3. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I'm far from convinced that he can play PG at a high-level in the L

4. Voice of Aus

Have up you seen him play before or are you basing this off just the fact he is considered tall for a starting PG?

5. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I've obviously seen him play. I'm a big proponent of not having your #1 scoring option play at the PG spot, and that plays a role here as well (as he's a scorer first, no matter what you think of his playmaking ability).

He doesn't play with much center-of-gravity (stands upright) and his handle is not compact enough to deal with the CP3s of the world for 48 minutes. He'd be better suited to be a playmaking 2, like Harden (only if he proves himself to be the star he's hyped up to be, of course).

6. PullUpJ

PullUpJ Member

IMO, Randle is waaay too low. Should be #4

7. Voice of Aus

i have seen him play that many times and played against him, that i cant not fathem him as a 2. he controls the court like a true point guard and he can get to his spots by often shooting over the smaller defenders, i cant see him guarding the heavier guards atm so he may be forced to play his true position

8. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Played against him? I've always pictured you as Leigh Ellis lol.

9. Voice of Aus

thats the guy from basketball jones right or am i mistaken?

i have played against him maybe 4 times and watched him countless more times. seems like an ultra competitive guy and decent guy off the court but i have no relation with him off the court unfortunately

10. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

After watching some of the tournament, I don't see all the hype on Julius Randle. His arms are not that long. He is strong as hell for an 18yo, but that's how he scores most of his points. He is not as athletic as Terrence Jones, and I don't think I have seen him take a jump shot. Double double sure, but I just don't see much offensive ceiling on the guy, what am I missing? Charles said it first, Jame Young was the best player on that Kentucky team.
    I think Marcus Smart will be one of the most interesting players to watch at the next level, he could be Terrence Williams, he could be Chauncey Billups.

Jabari is Jabari, and he looks like he is pretty close to maxing out his potential, which should be good in the NBA, but not someone to build around.

You never know, Elfrid Payton could be the next Rajon Rondo. They have similar scouting reports coming into the draft, but Payton will go in the second round most likely, this guy ranks him pretty high.

11. Willard Decker

Actually, he didn't say it first. An analyst for the SEC Network made a similar argument earlier in the season. In any case, it's not true. James Young is an above-average shooter, but the rest of his game has significant holes. He made several mistakes defensively that led to baskets, and he is neither the ball-handler or passer that Randle is. Many of Young's shot-attempts were created by Randle passing out of double-teams, looks he would not have been able to create on his own.

Randle's offensive game is extremely limited, but he's much more of a factor on both the defensive and offensive glass, and though his defensive awareness needs to improve, he's better at defending the pick-and-roll than Young, who repeatedly loses his man because he doesn't know how to fight through screens or rotate properly on defense.

--Captain Decker

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

James Young was not the best player on UK. It was clearly Julius Randle

13. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Randle is an interesting case, and as the season wore on, I became more and more wary of his faults (many of which were put under a microscope).

Like it's been mentioned, his short arms, his lack of defensive effort (and tools, partly related to his length), and his bully ball game on O were all concerning.

But despite his subpar championship performance, I've come to appreciate that Randle has a standout skill or two (he's a fantastic rebounder, finisher and an explosive face-up threat/driver), while the more well-rounded Noah Vonleh doesn't. That being said, #4-7 on the big board are all very close, and constantly shifting around for me.

James Young helped his stock quite a bit, but his impressive performances don't erase questions about his shot-selection, defensive effort and decision making. But he is young, and shows quite a bit of offensive potential, and that pushes him up into that group of prospects after the top-7.

Here's my updated big board:

Excluding these guys, under the assumption that they're returning:
    SG W.Selden
    SG M.Hezonja
    C D.Johnson
    PF B.Portis
    C K.Tarczewski
    PF B.Johnson
    SF R.Hollis-Jefferson
    C C.Ridley
    SF S.Dekker
    SG S.Dinwiddie
    C/PF F.Kaminsky
    PG/SG J.Grant
    PF C.Walker
    SG R.Sulaimon

The Top-70:
    1. C J.Embiid
    2. SF A.Wiggins
    3. SF J.Parker
    4. PF J.Randle
    5. SG/PG M.Smart
    6. SG D.Exum
    7. PF N.Vonleh
    8. SG J.Young
    9. PF D.Saric
    10. PF A.Gordon
    11. SF T.Warren
    12. C J.Nurkic
    13. PF C.Capela
    14. C W.Cauley-Stein
    15. SG G.Harris
    16. SG N.Stauskas
    17. PF M.Harrell
    18. SF/PF D.McDermott
    19. PF A.Payne
    20. SF R.Hood
    21. SG/SF P.Hairston
    22. SF/PG K.Anderson
    23. PG T.Ennis
    24. PF/SF J.Grant
    25. SG Z.LaVine
    26. PG E.Payton
    27. SF K.McDaniels
    28. PG S.Napier
    29. SF/PF C.Early
    30. PG V.Micic
    31. SF/SG G.Robinson III
    32. C A.Hammons
    33. C/PF M.McGary
    34. SG J.Adams
    35. PF/SF A.Poythress
    36. SG B.Bogdanovic
    37. SG A.Harrison
    38. PF C.Jefferson
    39. PF/C J.Stokes
    40. SF/PF D.Daniels
    41. PG/SG D.Kane
    42. PG D.Burton
    43. SF/SG F.Edwin
    44. SG J.Brown
    45. SG C.Wilcox
    46. SG J.McRae
    47. PF/C S.Long
    48. PG/SG S.Christon
    49. PF D.Powell
    50. PG/SG J.Clarkson
    51. PG B.Weber
    52. C/PF P.Young
    53. SF M.Ejim
    54. SG A.Dawkins
    55. PG/SG R.Smith
    56. PG/SG N.Johnson
    57. SF T.Antetokounmpo
    58. C W.Tavares
    59. C J.Bachynski
    60. PG J.Carson
    61. PG/SG A.Harrison
    62. PF/C K.Birch
    63. SG R.Marble
    64. C/PF I.Austin
    65. SF L.Ross
    66. SG M.Brown
    67. SF/SG L.Patterson
    68. C M.Jaiteh
    69. PG R.Boatright
    70. SG/PG O.Hanlan

14. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Good call on K.J. McDaniels.

He's a freakish specimen. Led Clemson in nearly every major statistical category on the way to 1st-team All ACC & ACC Defensive Player of the Year honors. He's going to be a big-time defender at the next level.

15. Willard Decker

Sen: I know it's early to be thinking about this, but do you have a rough idea of who the projected top prospects for 2015 will be?

I've been reading various scouting reports on Cliff Alexander (committed to Kansas) and have been extremely impressed with him. His ability to play in the low-post needs to improve, but he's an outstanding finisher in traffic and runs the floor well, getting a significant number of his points in transition. He's a better passer and decision-maker than I expected.

Power forward is his natural position, but with Embiid leaving and Myles Turner still undecided, do you foresee Bill Self using him in the pivot?

--Captain Decker

16. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Thanks, I'd have McDaniels near or at the top of Rockets' targets with our #25th pick. His perimeter game and J aren't particularly developed, but he'd be a great 3rd wing to have behind Harden/Parsons.

Luckily for us, there should be quite a few solid wings available around that pick. I just hope we value defense over more offense this time around.

I've actually just made a rough big board for 2015. It's incredibly early, and like with most sites, it probably overrates the incoming Freshman (assuming their transition is smooth), but here's what it'd look like right now:

* = Incoming Freshman
    ** = Foreign Prospect
    *** = Assuming they return to school

1. Jahlil Okafor* | C | 6'11" 270 | Duke | 18
    A rare blend of size, skill, length and post-upside. Motor could improve.
    2. Myles Turner* | C/PF | 7’0” 230 | Undecided | 18
    Developing on O (shows promise) but already dominant on D. Needs to assert himself on O.
    3. Stanley Johnson* | SF | 6’7” 230 | Arizona | 17
    Incredibly well-rounded physical wing who plays both ends. J is still developing.
    4. Emmanuel Mudiay* | PG/SG | 6’5” 200 | SMU | 18
    Freakish Westbrook-like PG who’s an unstoppable penetrator. PG skills are still a work in progress.
    5. Cliff Alexander* | PF/C | 6’9” 255 | Kansas | 18
    Bull in the paint with athleticism, strength and nastiness. Needs offensive polish.
    6. Wayne Selden*** | SG | 6’5” 225 | Kansas | 19
    I expect a breakout year. Well rounded, big 2 who just needs to assert himself more.
    7. Rashad Vaughn* | SG | 6’6” 195 | UNLV | 17
    Athletic 2 with all the tools to be an elite scorer. Needs maturity, strength and polish.
    8. Mario Hezonja** | SG/SF | 6’6” 200 | Croatia | 19
    Big time scorer who has fairly complete skillset. Lacks length and needs work on D.
    9. Kelly Oubre* | SF/SG | 6’7” 190 | Kansas | 18
    Has the explosiveness and outside stroke, but is he ready?
    10. Dakari Johnson*** | C | 6’11” 260 | Kentucky | 18
    Big physical 5 who’s advanced offensively, but he’s not explosive and he needs work on D
    11. Justise Winslow* | SF | 6’6” 215 | Duke | 18
    Strong athletic glue-guy who can do it all. Does he have the mentality to be more than a role player?
    12. Tyus Jones* | PG | 6’1” 185 | Duke | 18
    Advanced shoot-pass PG with impressive skillset. Isn’t overly impressive physically.
    13. Brice Johnson*** | PF | 6’10” 210 | North Carolina | 19
    Long athlete with some offensive upside. Needs muscle and polish.
    14. Kristaps Porzingis** | PF | 6’11” 215 | Latvia | 19
    Active, long 4 man with range and athleticism. Also needs muscle and polish.
    15. Karl-Anthony Towns* | C/PF | 7’0” 245 | Kentucky | 18
    Incredible skills for size, but he screams underachiever to me.
    16. Bobby Portis*** | PF | 6’9” 230 | Arkansas | 19
    Solid but unspectacular young 4 who checks most of the boxes.
    17. Jabari Bird*** | SG | 6’6” 205 | California | 19
    Smooth 2 with size and solid stroke. Needs to develop ball skills and consistency.
    18. Nikola Milutinov** | C | 6’11” 225 | Serbia | 19
    Mobile C with developing offensive game. Still a bit of an unknown.
    19. Theo Pinson Jr.* | SG/SF | 6’6” 185 | North Carolina | 18
    Athletic and energetic wing who needs to add muscle and a consistent J.
    20. JaQuan Lyle* | PG | 6’4” 220 | Oregon | 19
    Underrated PG who’s huge and a solid playmaker/shooter. Not a great athlete however, and like many others here, he needs polish.
    21. Delon Wright*** | PG/SG | 6’5” 175 | Utah | 21
    Big, stat-sheet filler at the 1 spot. Lacks range and bulk.
    22. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson*** | SF | 6'7" 215 | Arizona | 19
    Long slashing wing with great defensive ability. Lacks explosiveness and range.
    23. Cameron Ridley*** | C | 6’11” 275 | Texas | 20
    Huge body with solid post game. Conditioning and consistency are questions.
    24. Marcus Lee*** | PF/C | 6’10” 210 | Kentucky | 19
    Raw athletic big with defensive upside. Needs lots of work on O.
    25. Rysheed Jordan*** | PG | 6’4” 195 | St. John’s | 19
    Big penetrating 1 with athleticism. Jumper and PG skills are still developing.

I like Alexander as well, and he's far more advanced than other “concerning 6’9” athletic bigs” were at his age (see: Thomas Robinson). He looks like a physical NBA-4 that could be a force in the paint for a half-court, defensive team. Right now he still plays more like a 5, and he's going to have to expand his bully-ball style (which will likely work at the CBB level), to become a better NBA prospect. I think he can man the 5 spot at the college level, but he definitely projects as a 4 in the NBA.

His 7’3” wingspan and overall nastiness erase most questions about his height. I think he’s the most likely to put up big numbers next year (of the top bigs), but I like Okafor and Turner more as prospects at the moment.

If Myles Turner commits to KU, I expect Self to start Ellis at the 4, Alexander at the 5, and bring Turner off the bench for around 20-25 mpg.

17. Sen89

Sen89 Member

The next few guys after that would be:

Sam Dekker (SF, Wisconsin)
    Caris LeVert (SG, Michigan)
    Isaiah Whitehead (SG/PG, Seton Hall)
    Kasey Hill (PG, Florida)
    Juwan Staten (PG, West Virginia)
    Chris Walker (PF, Florida)
    Zak Irvin (SG, Michigan)
    Jarrell Martin (PF, LSU)
    Sindarius Thornwell (SG, South Carolina)
    Terran Petteway (SF, Nebraska)
    Isaiah Taylor (PG, Texas)

18. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Kevon Looney (PF/SF, UCLA) and Chris McCullough (PF, Syracuse) are two more freshman to watch for 2015. Both guys have the talent to jump up boards (both 5* prospects by Rivals), but right now I'm not convinced they're ready to declare.

19. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Forgot Trey Lyles for whatever reason. He'd be #7 on the 2015 big board

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

I believe James Young and/or the Harrison twins are returning