1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Fans in NYC

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tycoonchip, Mar 10, 2004.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No, it's called "How-ston" because that's what the English call it. We are speaking english. ou- in english is generally pronounced "ow" (house, mouse, louse, out, trout, etc), pronouncing it "Hu" is more like the way a Frenchman would prononuce it.

Quite simple. I don't care if some goofball from Tennessee mispronounced it way back when, that doesn't make him right. You can use whatever pronunciation you want, but don't give us crap about saying it the wrong way, the evidence points otherwise.

2. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

What chip are you referring to....I don't think anyone in New York would care if you choose to pronounce Houston St as HU-ston St. I mean dude, 90% of people in New York don't pronounce anything correctly, and neither do people in Houston for that matter (and I know because I lived there for 8 sweaty years) If you go up to someone and asked for "HUE-ston" st, they'd probably look at you like you were crazy and keep walking, or they'd realize you're from out of town and point you in the right direction (ok, they still might ignore you because no one likes tourists).

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

The chip that has you guys still making a big deal out of this after I said I've just been jacking with you.

The chip that makes you keep harping on pronunciation when I've already admitted that I pronounce the name of your street the same way you do.

The chip that seems to make you all oblivious to the fact that all along I've really just been giving you a hard time for misspelling William Houstoun's name when you named a street after him.

4. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Forget YOF vs. SOF. That was so last month. Now Clutchfans has a new chasm:

Houston Only Fans vs. Houstoun Only Fans . Or, for short, HOF vs. HuOF.

Let the debate begin!

5. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

pass me some chips...

oh thats right we were talking about basketball.

So the 19th of March is a televised game(@ Golden State) but Friday the 26th is @ Memphis, I think we should get together for that one. what does everyone think?

lets start planning now and see if we can get this going.

#45 across110thstreet, Mar 17, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  6. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

I'm with you, across110th. I'd rather spend money at sports bars for games that are not nationally televised. The Grizzlies game sounds perfect. Count me in.

(btw, I've moved, now I live in Williamsburg, yeah, yeah, laugh all you want---hippster central. Thankfully I don't own a trucker hat or any orange sunglasses. ) But I'm up for meeting wherever.

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Rasselas, you could grow your facial hair and join a garage band and you would fit right in.

edit: its on the 26th not the 27th. sorry for any confusion.

8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I'm all for it! Where and When should we meet. Let's stop discussing pernounciation issues. I'm sorry I brought it up! I just want to meet up with y'all for a game or more! When and Where let's set it up now. I'm still down for meeting for the game on Friday. If anyone wants to meet up at a sports bar Friday PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE HERE!!!!

9. jbasket

jbasket Member

Necrobumping. I am hoping to connect with some of y'all that met up in the past.

The link below is a thread to RSVP to Blondie's on 79th and Broadway; I hope to see y'all there!

There are 14 confirmed already.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=264592

10. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Actually I don't live in NYC anymore. I'm back in Houston now. ;)

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

Interesting moniker :grin:

(we have 17 confirmed now guys, roll through)

#51 jbasket, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  12. jbasket

jbasket Member

Yo guys, there is going to be another viewing party at The Hog Pit for tonight's game. Y'all should come through, there were 40 people the last time for a weekend meet-up. (37 West 26th St).

There are already an estimated 8 showing already. Reservation starts at gametime (obviously can get there early if you so want to) under "Rose".

NYC Rockets fans Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1381087608887270/

13. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

What year was the street named? Could it have been named in honor of a person who is not Sam Houston? If before 1836 (and the City of Phew York is older than the Republic of Texas), then it may be a righteous mispronunciation of Houston.

14. GeneValgene

GeneValgene Member

oh snap...can't make game 3 but may try heading out to game 4 if y'all still having a viewing party

15. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

If I'm in the city tonight I will drop by. We will probably be in Long Island so I'll see if they're down with hitting the city

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow this is an old thread. Can't believe it's been over 10 years ago that we'd watch those Rockets games in the east village Tycoonchip.

17. jbasket

jbasket Member

Yo guys, there is going to be another viewing party at The Hog Pit for tonight's game. Y'all should come through, there are always at least 25+ people showing up every time. (37 West 26th St).

NYC Rockets fans Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1381087608887270/