1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Future Draft Pick List

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pugsly8422, Feb 25, 2011.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

With all of the trades acquiring "assets" that Morey has made, I was wondering what exactly we had acquired, in terms of picks. I was also wondering what all we gave up to acquire those picks. Here is what I concluded we have in the upcoming drafts:

-Our own first round pick.
    -Phoenix Suns 1st round pick if they make the playoffs (lottery protected), otherwise the Orlando Magic 1st round pick, from the Aaron Brooks trade.
    -Right to swap 1st round picks with the Knicks via the T-Mac trade (doesn't look likely). Top 1 protected.
    -Right to swap 2nd round picks with the Clippers via the Steve Novak trade.
    -Memphis Grizzlies 2nd round pick from the Steve Francis trade. Top 55 protected. If it's not outside of the top 55, the Rockets lose the pick.
    -Sacramento Kings 2nd round pick from the Jermaine Taylor trade. Top 55 protected. If it's not outside of the top 55, the Rockets lose the pick.
    -Our own 2nd round pick.

-Traded our own 1st round pick in the T-Will trade. Lottery protected in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. If we still have it in 2017, the Nets will receive our 2017 2nd round pick and cash.
    -Knicks 1st round pick via the T-Mac trade, although it is top 5 protected in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. If we haven't received it by then, the Rockets will receive 2 2nd round picks, one in 2015 and one in 2016.
    -Detroit Pistons receive our 2nd round pick via the Budinger trade. Top 40 protected in 2012, top 35 protected in 2013, top 35 protected in 2014, unprotected in 2015.

-Our own 1st round pick.
    -Memphis Grizzlies first round pick from the Battier trade, although it is lottery protected. Thanks to RocketsPimp for this, a great breakdown....The pick, at least, will never be a high one. It is top-14 protected every year and not eligible to be used until 2013. The Minnesota Timberwolves — who own the rights to the future first round pick the Grizzles sent to the Utah Jazz last season for Ronnie Brewer — are ahead of the Rockets in line for a Grizzlies first rounder. If the Grizzlies make the playoffs this season, the Wolves will get that pick in this summer's draft. In that event, the pick being sent to the Rockets will be eligible to be used starting in 2013 (you can't trade picks in back-to-back years). If the Grizzlies miss the playoffs this season, that pushes both picks back at least a year. If the pick owed to the Rockets is not exercised by 2016, the Rockets will receive a second-round pick and $3 million.
    -We traded our 2nd round pick in the David Andersen trade, although it is top 40 protected in 2013, 2014 and 2015 and unprotected in 2016. What to keep in mind with this one is that it cannot be exercised until the year after we send Detroit the 2nd round pick we owe them from the Budinger trade, so 2013 is the earliest.

-Our own 1st round pick.
    -Our own 2nd round pick.

-Our own 1st round pick.
    -Our own 2nd round pick.
    -Los Angeles Clippers 2nd round pick, only if it is 51-55. Acquired via the David Andersen trade to the Raptors. If it is not in the 51-55 range, the Rockets lose the pick.

Overall, things look pretty bright, draft wise, for the Rockets. Although there are a lot of stipulations on the picks, they should pay off eventually, unless we draft busts. I wouldn't be surprised to see Morey trade quite a few of these to move up in the draft, or go after some upper tier players. Thanks to BimaThug for this info.....(see post #19 for a more detailed description) since it is set in stone that we will be receiving at least 2 1st round draft picks in 2011, we do have the ability to trade our own pick. The Rockets, for the time being, cannot trade their 2013 pick because we may have to give up our 2012 pick in the T-Will trade and we are not guaranteed an additional pick in 2013. Because the Memphis pick is conditional (protected) it does not help us at this time.

Best Case Scenarios - These are based on getting the best picks only! This is also disregarding our typical picks that have no stipulations and were not involved in trades (example - our 2013 1st round pick). So they have been left off.

-Rockets get lucky and obtain a high draft pick in the lottery or the Knicks somehow end up in the lottery (not even sure if this is possible) and end up with a high lottery pick, as long as it is not #1.
    -Phoenix gets the #8 seed and makes the playoffs, thus the Rockets end up with the #15 pick (woMANly makes a good point, there is no guarantee Phoenix ends up with the 15th pick, it will probably be lower. Of course, this is the best case scenario part of the post, so we can all hope!!).
    -Clippers end up with a higher 2nd round pick than us, which allows us to swap picks with them.
    -Memphis ends up with pick 56+, so we receive it.
    -Sacramento ends up with the pick 56+, so we receive it.

-Rockets don't make the playoffs (remember, this is based on our picks...I'd love for us to make the playoffs!) and receive a lottery pick, thus keeping our 1st round pick from the T-Will trade for another year.
    -Knicks do not get a top 5 pick, thus sending their 1st round pick to us.

-Memphis makes the playoffs as a lower seed, thus sending us their 1st round pick.

-Clippers land a 2nd round pick somewhere in the 51-55 range, thus sending it to us.

That's a lot to take into consideration and a lot to look at. I may have even left something off, or possibly had some errors on the stipulations of some of the picks, please correct me if this is the case (you'll get full credit). Obviously this will change as time goes by, but, as far as I can tell, this is where we stand as of now.

Flame away for me having some errors or wasting my time....

Pugs

#1 pugsly8422, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
    32 people like this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

4. brosef

brosef Member

thanks for the info. been wondering this myself. too many "if's" imo.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Looks like we will have 4 picks this year including 1 lottery, 1 mid to late first rounder and 2 early second round picks. Nice.

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

So in other words we are going to suck again next year. Yay. :(

7. Lowry4three

Lowry4three Member

thanks for clarifying
    I am not gonna put my hopes up of getting our star through the draft, still believing in Morey's trading tactic-like a poker game, and u know ull win if ur from MIT

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

So for early day dreaming purposes, the 2011 picks will be something like the #8 and #20 ?

9. tested911

tested911 Member

Do we have what it takes to get a top 5 pick? Trade all 4 picks + Money + Players (Don't even know if this is possible) for a top 5 pick?

10. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

in this world, nothing is perfect. if i were you, i would expect low.

moving up in the draft night is possible when you have a few lower 1 rd picks but the question is how high you can go to. the best you can move is to a player on whom majority of gms lack of confidence. this is what we call the potential. not many successful cases that turned a potential to a superstar can justify your gamble on this type of potentials. of coz, you can keep trying but for how long a franchise can wait, maybe a decade.

i am not talking about those sure potential stars, like lebron, rose, dw. no gm will give up unless you can ship an equal value to them, such an existing superstar on you team and you may lose your star in free agent market. or maybe the draft is full of good players. a team may be willing to sacrifice a little bit to get multiple stars instead one.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

So for early day dreaming purposes, the 2011 picks will be something like the #8 and #20 ?

Like: Donatas Motiejunas and Kimba Walker

12. ruhroh

ruhroh Member

Thanks this was helpful. I can use this instead of looking through the transactions for each year to see what picks the rockets have.

However this quote:
    The pick will most likely not be #15 cuz it's still bottom-tier western playoff teams > bottom-tier eastern playoff teams. I dont see this changing :(
    As it is now, suns have a better record than 76ers and pacers.

Sorry to be nitpicky ;)

13. pugsly8422

I'm guessing we get the #14 and #23 picks. Our own and the Orlando pick. Just guessing, obviously both of those could change, but I think # 8 is out of reach, although #20, or better, is a possibility if Phoenix makes the playoffs.

Pugs

14. pugsly8422

I appreciate your input, I hope everyone is nitpicky :) You make a good point that there is no guarantee the pick will be #15, and I will change that. Much appreciated!

Pugs

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Please note the following regarding the Rockets' ability to trade THEIR OWN picks going forward (remember, the 2012 lottery-protected pick they traded to New Jersey does limit their ability to trade their own picks):

--Since the Rockets are guaranteed to receive two first round picks: (1) either their own or the Knicks' pick and (2) either Phoenix's or Orlando's pick, the Rockets are free to trade their own 2011 pick (actually, the higher of their own or the top-1 protected Knicks' pick) between the end of the regular season and the 2011 NBA Draft. Of course, this is most likely a moot point, since most trades during this period happen DURING the draft, at which point the Rockets could have traded their 2011 pick regardless of any other future pick obligations.

--The future Memphis pick will NOT allow the Rockets more flexibility in trading their own picks going forward. As it stands now, the Rockets CANNOT trade their own 2013 pick (due to the 2012 obligation referenced above), since they are not GUARANTEED a pick in 2012 or 2013 (beyond their own 2013 pick) and cannot be without a pick in both of those years. The Memphis obligation is conditional and will not help the Rockets out on this front.

Carry on.

16. Zfan

Zfan Member

Very concise thread. Highly appreciated. We look really bad with those draft picks trades.

17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Great job man.

By no means trying to take over his thread, but if you ever want to see what draft pick goes to whom, whether it has been traded again, and what every single condition is you can use this site. They don't have all the deadline trade info up yet, but when it is not crazy with 11 trades in 3 days, they are quite quick and very accurate.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Years/index.htm

1 person likes this.
  18. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

19. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya but only until the trade deadline, when we'll parlay our ass-ets into a shiny platinumb superstar......yay :(