1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Les Alexander] "Daryl has been the number one drafter in the NBA", hints tanking?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fullcourt, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Good post. I'm much happier hanging on to our assets, and trading them before they expire/lose value for other short-term/upside assets than trading for Rudy Gay/Josh Smith/Gasol type players that will make us okay but not great. Morey and Les have shown that they want blue chip talent. They shoot for the moon every year. They try to get in the top 5 in every draft, and try to bring in what they consider players they can legitimately build around (Deron/Carmelo/Dwight. also Bosh with Yao). If you believe the reports, we conceivably could have had Deron or Carmelo if we had simply been in the opposite conference of their original teams. We missed out on Bosh because of a very strange set of circumstances.

They will simply not settle, and I think (hope) it will pay off in the long run. We might be mediocre, but there is always a list of assets that we can assemble to make a package, always flexibility to make dramatic changes, which is more than you can say about a lot of mediocre teams. I don't want to be like Phoenix. I don't want to be like Denver. I don't want to be like Utah. I don't even want to be like Memphis or Indiana.

I understand what they are doing, and I understand why it's so frustrating, but big time deals go down for teams that are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. We're trying to make our own luck by making sure we are in the right place at all times.

#41 Fullcourt, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not sure where Les Alexander hinted at tanking.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

"It's going to be an interesting season because we are going to probably bring in a bunch of young people."

That was where I got the idea. I assumed this meant, barring a trade for a star, trimming the fat and playing all of our young guys not unlike Seattle did.

4. Carl Herrera

Pretty much all NBA players are "young people" compared to Les Alexander. :p

And even if you do bring in a bunch of inexperienced players, it doesn't mean that they'll suck-- or at least suck enough to get a really high pick. We'll what happens.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Do what he wants other than tank ....

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

"Alexander said there is no increase in urgency after three consecutive lottery seasons.

'The emphasis is always to try to be as great as we can every year,' Alexander said. 'It doesn’t change. It’s not like this year my thoughts are any different than any other year – zero difference.'"

Yeah, let's see how you feel after a 4th consecutive lottery season(the 2nd time the franchise will have had such a streak during your tenure as owner) and an average attendance of 9000 fans per game.

This sums up why this organization is a joke and will never return to being a perennial playoff contender much less a threat to win the title as long as this guy is running things. Les Alexander doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

7. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

oh no, he means those draft picks. thats what the whole conversation was about, lmao

8. Raven

Raven Member

Les = Drayton

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You actually sound surprised. Les hasn't had a clue for 17 years so why should he start now? I mean, even a busted clock is right two times a day. Why anyone would buy into what he's selling is a mystery to me.

10. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME

11. Carl Herrera

Some of you guys have no clue how to read NBA-speak. Even if the Rockets are going to urgently conduct a fire sale, they are sure as hell not going to publicly announce it to the media.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I would think as a businessman, he'd figure out one of these days that people aren't going to shell out their hard-earned dollars for a consistently lousy product(especially in an economy like this). Did the attendance last season clue him in at all?

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Here's the gist of what Les Alexander is saying in that article:

Try not to get worried
    Try not to turn on to
    Problems that upset you
    oh Don't you know
    Everything's alright
    Yes everything's fine
    And we want you to sleep well tonight
    Let the world turn without you tonight
    If we try
    We'll get by
    So forget all about us tonight...

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Hillboy, the ultimate Debbie Downer for Houston Teams. Les is a terrible owner who has been clueless for 17 years. Maybe you should starting calling them clever catch names that convey your disdain like you did when you were pointing out how Wade Phillips would be a failure for the Texans and it was proof they were being run into the ground when he was hired.

Yawn.

15. yxx1218

yxx1218 Member

oh sucks...

16. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

After reading his comments I get the feeling that...

... Morey can't swing a trade for Howard or some other star player that they will look to trade off guys like Scola & Martin, along with Lowry and go young right across the board.

That will mean the team will probably win 25 or 30 games next season while all these youngsters obtain experience.

Then come next draft, the Rockets will be drafting somewhere in the Top Ten and will hope to get a Top 3 selection during the lottery draw.

Too bad Houston can't get their hands on another player like Yao... you know, a star who feels loyal to the team who drafted him.

Sure wish Houston could have gotten someone other than T-Mac to pair up with Yao before he suffered all those injuries, especially considering how injury-prone T-Mac was, too...

17. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Alexander said he and Morey will do everything they can to add a star player to the franchise before the upcoming season.

That doesnt sound like were tanking to me.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The great 10-year plan continues. Let us POWER FORWARD into the future...

19. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

Maybe that is the new Rockets slogan for this year? :eek::grin::eek::p

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm fine with everything Les said, although he put the Yao thing strangely. He's committed to winning - the money and determination are there. I like that he supports Morey, Morey really has done a top tier job while having to start from behind with Yao & McGrady hogging cap. I hope he stays the course... if we bring in a new GM he'll probably take the first star he can get (bad contract).