1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Casey Jakes: Sczerbiak or Dave Jamerson? Discuss.

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by wrath_of_khan, Apr 3, 2002.

1. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

We may find out, because he's declaring for the draft.

But he's not signing an agent, so the final verdict might have to wait a year.

First Duke, now Stanfurd. Next, underclassmen will be bolting from Colgate ...

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Something about the kid I don't like. HE seems real cocky. If given a chance, I think he'll be closer to Sczerbiak.

3. Buck Turgidson

He's a much better athlete than Jamerson; he should be able to create his own shots in the pros. To me, he's a quicker but physically weaker Wally.

4. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

Jamerson is a hall of famer, sczerbiak is a borderline all-star..comparing Casey to Dave is like comparing Harold Minor to Jordan

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I just don't know why White People can only be compared to other white people. I mean who will we compare Yao Ming to?

"Wow That Ming reminds me of Wang Zhizhi if he was any good."

6. Buck Turgidson

He's Shawn Bradley w/ muscles, athleticism, & game.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I know someone who's good friends with Ryan Mendez, the sharpshooter whose last year at Stanford was 2001. (I knew him back in the day before he bolted Katy) He said that whenever he went up there to visit, everyone, from coach on down, was great to him...except Jacobson. My friend said he was the biggest ******* he's ever encountered.

8. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Fair point. OK, how about:

"Casey Jakes: Steve Smith or Steve Harris? Discuss."

:D

It's the same principle, though. All-Star jump shooter or first round bust ...

9. cellsworthox

cellsworthox Member

Although I completely agree with the principle of your argument, I will argue that Ming and Zhi Zhi are most easily compared because of the hoops through which a drafting team would have to jump, in addition to Ming and Zhi Zhi coming from the same league, playing on the same national team, being frontcourt players, language/translation issues etc. The same could be said for two guards coming from the Brazilian national team, for example.

For the record, I don't believe Ming easily compares to any of the 7-plus-footers in the NBA now or before ... with the closest comparisons being Rik Smits and Arvydas Sabonis. Ming has much more bulk than Manute Bol, Shawn Bradley, etc. Ming is similar in bulk to Gheorghe Muresan, but is much more refined and has an infinitely better outside game. The Flying Dutchman, Rik Smits, though, is similar in bulk and had a nice outside touch. Also, I like the comparison to Arvydas Sabonis (Smits is much closer in height) ... though I only remember Sabonis from his Portland Trail Blazers years. (Sabonis was supposedly even better in his younger years before he came to the U.S.) From what I've read, Ming is much more agile than Smits and runs the floor exceptionally well.

If the Houston Rockets can find a way to obtain Yao Ming, they will be markedly improved (assuming the healthy return of Steve Francis, Glen Rice, and Maurice Taylor). I'd love to see Ming in Houston against Bradley, Vlade Divac, Shaq, and David Robinson.

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Yeah, there was just something about the guy. I never liked his demeanor. Of course, if I were in his position, I may be that way also. He is definitely the big man on campus at Stanford. I'm sure he's very popular.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Totally the guy has an attitude problem. I went to high school with him for 3 years and he thought he was the ****. Rightfully so he is a great basketball player but he is going to have a hard time learning from NBA coaches if he keeps that attitude. As least he isnt a dumbass like Kapono though.