1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

To Steve Francis......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketKid, Apr 14, 2003.

1. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

This could have been you.

[​IMG]

What a shame. It'll have to wait another year (or longer). You refused to grow up. You refused to be a team player. Once again, you will be talking about how much you want to in playoffs while you watch it on your television.

Oh, but it's ok. You had another 20/6/6 season. You got voted to the All-Star game. You got your $90 mil.....

Hope you're happy.

2. Playercentral

Playercentral Member

delete this

3. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

4. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

This is not all of Steve's fault. What about Eddie who basically didin't show up this year? What about Yao who didn't bring it every night? What was the point of Boki this season? What about the r****ded coaches that we have? The list goes on and on........

Have you guys seen that movie Bedazzled with Brandon Frazier and Liz Hurley? That blond guy in the picture looks like Brandon Frazier in that scene when he wanted to be a basketball player.

5. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Looks like Jake just proposed and Stephan said Yes!

Steve really started trying to play team oriented basketball this season, some nights his team showed up, a lot of nights they didn't. It wasn't always his fault. Steve made plenty of mistakes, but he was more of a PG than Marbury this year.

But you are right though, all Steve did was 20/6/6. Yao was dominating the league every night, Mobley couldn't miss, Eddie was on fire, Moochie was passing, and Steve just wouldn't pass the ball.

If he scores too much he should be a 2 guard, if he passes to much (and his team isn't hitting) then he isn't earning his contract. Out of this whole team I would say that Steve was the most consistent, him and Taylor/Cato. That is something the rest of the team seriously lacked.

The team just wasn't ready, get off of Steve's back. I'll take him over Stephy any day.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Oh give me a break.

I guess you are such a great fan right? Yes, let's fire Les Alexander, the first owner that has done anything in the city of Houston.

:rolleyes:

7. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

Face it - Steve was not the "franchise" this season. He was not a leader. I will always support the Rockets.....why would I be posting at 2 am when the season is already over? However, I do NOT support childish thugs on the court.......kicking the basketball, whining about other teams celebrating too much when you're the epitome of that......the list goes on. I don't know how you can stand up for him. He was our "leader, " and therefore the main chunk of the blame is on him. He's missed the playoffs the past 3 years, and he can't get a clue.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Not to nitpick, but he hasn't made the playoffs in 4 years. Though you could say it wasn't "his" team his rookie year.

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Steve was our leader, we look to him to get us wins. It's on his head that we are out of the playoffs. But don't give me the crap about him not being a team player, he had to adjust and defer his game more than any other player this season, there's no doubt right there. What Francis did was trying to do too much and keep everyone else happy instead playing his game and getting us a W. You don't f*cking change your style and strategy in the middle of the season, u do it in the offseason. U get the ball into the hand of your best player and good things happen no matter what.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

It's funny how some fans here talk about how KG or Chris Webber deserve to take heat for their team's flameouts (no pun intended), yet this one isn't on Francis.

Fact is that any player who is making the max and is supposed to be a franchise player, will take heat when his team plays below par. If Francis wants to be the best player he can be, then he should be willing to take the criticism, justified or not. If Francis doesn't want to shoulder this responsiblity, then he should be more inclined to defer to Yao, or just keep his mouth shut with regards to front office moves.

11. johnheath

johnheath Member

Great post.

This team needs a leader, and Steve F. was not the guy this year.

Rudy T. was not the guy either.

One of them needs to go. I vote that Rudy T. gets kicked up to G.M., and Van Gundy takes the reins.

12. burn

burn Member

you are crazy...stephon's a leader and team first, stevie is all about stevie. who is in the playoffs? rockets w/stevie = no playoffs.

13. Sonny

That may be true, but it's only been his team for one year and their number of wins has already increased 13 games. The 45 win season was still Dream's team and last year was a wash with all of the injuries.

Compare the number of technicals he has gotten this year versus his first two seasons. I can't find the actual #'s but I bet it is a big improvement. Steve has matured big time. As much as he has held back this year and compared to some guys (Artest), kicking the ball was nothing.

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I disagree. It's been his team the last 3 seasons. Dream left because the Rockets (rightfully) pretty much told him that Francis was going to be our guy during the 00-01 season.

15. Sonny

Well I don't think he was the leader that year, it was still Dream's house. The players weren't following Steve yet. How could he lead last season when he and the team were injured so often?

16. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

Can't believe that some people are still in denial and think that their "Franchise" is as great as they believe him to be.

Even Steve himself talked several times about moving to the 2-guard. But there are still people who think that he's a wonderful point guard? Better than Marbury? OMG. And you don't recognize that he has his major flaws in his game and needs to improve big time to make it as a real floor leader?

And some tried to put the blame on other players and fail to mention whose team it is and who earn the max money.

I wonder if Steve himself has this kind of attitude. I hope not. Because he can't improve and this team can't improve if he doesn't recognize the weakness of himself and tries to correct it.

17. Sonny

Crazy like a fox! :)

I don't recall the Nets dominating with Stephon. Some teams just take a while. I'll give Steve another season before I blame him. Stephon does have an A game, but for my money I'll take the Franchise.

18. Sonny

It's obvious Francis has some stuff to work on, I'm not denying that. But to blame everything on him is a joke. You can't get an assist when your team isn't making or even taking their shots.

Steve might be better at the 2 guard, $hit what do I know? Unless Rudy picks that option, I'm still keeping Steve at the point. He's better than Moochie. :eek: :p

19. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

It depends on what you mean by leader.

I think by default, the go-to guy should be considered the leader. That having been said, Francis has been the go-to guy, really since the end of his rookie year, when Olajuwon and Barkley were aging/injured.

I don't think Francis has ever been a leader, in the sense that he holds his teammates accountable for their actions both, on and off the court.

20. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

See that Steve, its not how u play the game, its the results, Stephon gets his team into the playoffs and all of a sudden he's a leader and team first. Just win, don't give a damn about anything else. And Kidrock, notice I said Steve deserve the blame this year? So I hope you quoted in agreence.