1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jeremy Lin your Point Guard of the Future?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SF3isBack!!, Apr 28, 2013.

?

How many of you are comfortable with Jeremy Lin as our starting point guard?

1. Comfortable

58.6%
  2. Uncomfortable

41.4%
  1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

At the beginning of the season, Jeremy Lin played badly. Some said this was an indicator of how bad a season he would have and some said it's just an injury or he's still injured. I myself loved watching linsanity and could not wait to see how it would play out in Houston. At the beginning of the season I was hoping that it was just the injuries that made him play so badly and by midseason we would all see the real Jeremy Lin. I was wrong. Lin played well in spurts but consistency is what you need from your starting point guard. I forgive Harden for sometimes playing badly and I blame it on his youth when he makes silly mistakes because Harden overall has been very consistent, so he deserves a bit of faith. Jeremy Lin has been more average to bad than he has been good.

At the beginning of the season people were saying that he didn't have enough games under his belt, so we really couldn't judge what kind of player he was and I agreed. After a whole Season I'm really not impressed. It's not just that I think he is an average player with an average upside. I honestly believe that Jeremy Lin is to timid to play this game. Most games he looks worried that he will mess up and then he messes up. Jeremy Lin is in his own head too much. Sometimes I think he needs a therapist more than he needs a trainer.

I understand that Linsanity was a huge deal and the expectations are overwhelming, but isn't that what he is payed for? We have a point guard who lacks self confidence and he will not play well until he beleives in himself. So, let's forget all of the excuses and focus on one thing. One question. After watching Jeremy Lin for a full season how many of you are comfortable with him being our starting point guard in the future?

2. coffeelover665

I'm happy

you have a quality point guard that don't complain. (this is huge considering how Harden is our point guard 75% of the time)

Sees the floor.

He penetrates very well. When his shooting game is on, hes very lethal.

His defense is not bad.

and a great teammate. How many time this season when Lin is on the floor he would walk over and calm Harden down while He's berating his teammates? (I love Harden but man that attitude is not an alpha dog attitude). If he was healthy and on the floor for game 3 would they still make the game decision that our players made out of frustration? who knows.

3. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

As long as Harden is the focal point on this team, I don't think I want to see Jeremy starting, just based on their inability to maximize their skills together when they're on the court this year. Better to grab a defensive point guard who can distribute a little and is decent from three. Thinking Avery Bradley or someone similar. Maybe Beverley if he can consistent knock down his threes.

If Lin is going to remain on this team, i'd like to see him come off the bench in a role similar to what Harden used to do, and Ginobili currently does.

It wouldn't necessarily be a demotion because he would still get about 30min per game, but his game will be able to develop, he'll have less pressure to fit into a specific role, and he should be able to play his style without having to defer to Harden all game.

4. coffeelover665

Nah you don't know if they will work or not. Give them an off-season together to work out the offensive kinks then come back and make your judgment.

5. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I'm no LOF but i want Jeremy to succeed with our team.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

See that's the point of me asking the question. I am not sure that I am comfortable with Lin (at the amount of money he is being paid) being our starter at point. If we are going to stick with Harden, then we need a point guard who can knock down shots. Maybe he gets better maybe he doesn't. But to me, he looks scared almost every game. That's just my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  7. CCM721

CCM721 Member

I've watched every game and I don't think I've ever seen this happen. And you act as if Lin has never berated a teammate.

8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Next season will determine whether Jeremy is apart of our future.

9. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I'm comfortable if hes our back up PG

10. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I though Harden was our starting PG, he has a higher usage rate than Lin.

But Lin has better assists and lower turnovers than Harden so maybe he's better as the PG.

Lin has a higher FG% right? Then maybe SG is best for him.

Throw Beverley in the mix a we've got 3 PGs. Maybe we can rotate all three?

11. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Because of Lin's contract we are stuck with him. I want him to succeed but don't see enough to be comfortable with him being our PG of the future. Other than the obvious flaws (shooting, defense, handle, etc.) I'm becoming very worried about his mental toughness. He absolutely shrinks the bigger the games have been. His confidence is easy to shake. To be fair I won't count the last couple of games in playoff because he was injured but going down the stretch in regular season and game 1, he absolutely disappeared and looked like he didn't belong on the court.

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

At the amount of money he is making?

13. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

We need to trade for or sign a PG. Lin is good enough off the bench. Dude is just not very good as a starter and is a weakness for us. I would prefer a vet pg with high IQ to calm the team and tempo down when we are getting crazy with too many turnovers. We need veteran leadership fa sho.

14. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Well...can't do anything about it now. No one is gonna want him with that contract nor will Les let him go. i think it's clear he was not a Morey signing and more of an order from Les.

All we can do is bring him off the bench and make him a scorer again against backup pgs. I think he could thrive in that role.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I agree. I don't want this to be a bash Lin thread. I actually beleive he has a lot of talent. The problem is he is to scared to use his talents. I can't count how many times I've seen Harden give him the ball and motion for him to lead and he gives the ball right back. The next thing you know Harden is being called a ball hoag.

16. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

For 2 more years I can manage.. Then in his last year hes a great trade asset as an expiring.. I'm not saying beverly should start either bc I would want him coming off the bench before Lin. I need morey to work his magic and get us a competent NBA starting pg

17. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I'm completely comfortable with him. I believe in his ability to improve going into next season.

In Morey I Trust. If he chooses to trade him, I will trust in that as well. But I feel Lin can be our guy. The moat important thing is finding a big man who can work the post.

18. Roxs

Roxs Member

There is a lot of the "Grass is always greener" memtality here on CF. i suppose that is normal human nature. You always think what if with that other girl.

Lin is a polarizing figure but the priority upgrade is PF. Not many threads about that though realtive to the importance of need.

19. oppiee

oppiee Member

With what Lin has been given this year, he has done a solid job. Basically he has been put in a position where he has to utilize his weaknesses. People have got to chill. Its one season, where his usage rate is extremely low. If he had to go ahead like Harden, Lin would have put up much better numbers. If he works on those weaknesses, which he has and improved throughout the season (more in the off-season) I believe he will come back much more dangerous next year. so people have got to chill out.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Lin is a great point guard. He is good for this team right now, but honestly I don't think he is right for this team long term. I think with time Beverly is a better fit. I also think that unless we start to bring back the mid range game Lin's really not going to flourish to his full potential. I really feel like Lin will end up being a key trade piece once he's back in full form, but I don't see him growing and maturing into that key player we pair with Harden long term. Who knows, a coaching change might completely flip that.