1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

barkley comment and question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket Fan, Dec 9, 1999.

Tags:
  1. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

first i want to know exactly what was barkley's previoius injury and was his previous injury most likely the cause of this one? if he would have only sit this game out we would'nt be having this conversation.

but to the more important things first of all i would like to congratulate barkley on his succesful nba career. the man was an awesome player despite some problems he may have had with media or fans. he was always a great interview and seemed nice and once only once though i managed to pursuade him his autograph waasn't worth too much to give to me. barkley was truly a great player who played with hurt unlike mr pippen.

so i would like to wish charles luck, if he retires. i was unable to see the game last night and i usually always watch which made me so mad. i miss the one game that i wanted to see his final game and i missed seeing him return to philly. how did the fans treat him and did he sound serious about retiring?

2. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

hmm well barkley is done now which is sad but i'm surprised there hasn't been mention of clyde drexler yet. he didn't have to good a year at U of H and now his enemy barkley is gone. well maybe not

3. popeye

popeye Member

Charles did indeed have an injury to the very same muscle two games ago and aggravated it in our win over Vancover, the game before.

It was his left Lateral Quad, that's the muscle that runs to the "outside" of the thigh. It attaches proximally (i.e. closest to the center of the body) at the pelvis/hip complex and attaches distally (i.e. farthest part away from the core or center of the body) at the left lateral aspect near the knee. It's function is to control the movement through contraction, that is required to lift the lower leg with the hip/thigh as fulcrum.

Essentially, without it you cannot raise your leg with your hip/thigh (Quads).

They shoot horses for less.

He was diagnosed with a "strain" of the same muscle a couple days prior. He made the decision to play it through, as it was similiar to "strains" he has experienced many times in his career.

When powered under stress and masked by the natural endorphins (the body's natural pain killer released under stress, and a key to why athletes in particular, can perform while injured. Remember the story about the mother who lifts a car off a baby despite Mom's multiple broken bones) the muscle will take that strain to the limit before it breaks like a rubber band right where it is attached (tendon) to the bony structure.

Shame.

4. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

so it was the same muscle or was it the other leg?

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It was his other leg, not the same one that was injured. The right leg had the strain, the left one blew out.

DaDakota