1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Targets for our TPE, MLE and BAE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mrjohn, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Monroe really is not a good defender. He is an amazing offensive player but would provide little spacing because he really doesn't shoot anything from far out. Would be some of the same things we see with Tjones. Not saying they are exactly the same player but they have the same offensive game in the sense of where they operate. Monroe is just way more skilled than Terrence while Terrence is more athletic and a better finisher.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

dat girl, sure why not.

3. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

He's bolded on my list. Solid bench player for us.

4. rogower

rogower Member

Logical targets to obtain in exchange for the Jeremy Lin TPE

First of all, thanks again to Bima Thug for providing us with the requisite information and analysis to engage in the speculation found below!

I agree with Bima that Houston should and will operate over the cap this season. I expect them to use the majority of their MLE on a good veteran role player (preferably Shawn Marion) and the rest to sign Nick Johnson to a three- or four-year deal.

Houston will, I believe, then move fairly quickly (by mid August) to use the Jeremy Lin TPE to obtain a player who will make somewhere between $ 6 mil (or so) and $8.47 mil in 2014-15. This player will most likely be owed no $ beyond 2014-15 (a so-called "expiring contract") and may not be particularly good. The reason why Houston must use the TPE to acquire such a player is simple. The TPE cannot be combined with other players/contracts in any trade. However, if you use the TPE to acquire a player/contract by mid August, this player can be packaged with other players/contracts (particularly the nonguaranteed contracts of Alonzo Gee, Scotty Hopson, and Josh Powell) and the very valuable New Orleans first round pick for a high profile player (Rajon Rondo, in my opinion, is the most logical target here).

Thus, here are some players who fit this description. All are on expiring contracts unless noted otherwise.

Jeff Teague (contracts extends through 2016-17)
    Brandon Bass (cannot later be traded back to Boston, though)
    Wilson Chandler
    Tayshaun Prince
    O.J. Mayo (contract extends through 2015-16)
    Ersan Ilyasova (contract extends through 2015-16, team option for 2016-17)
    J.R. Smith (contract extends through 2015-16)
    Jason Richardson
    Landry Fields

The names that really jump out are Wilson Chandler, Tayshaun Prince, and Landry Fields. Houston should be able to obtain one of the three for the TPE, straight up. Houston may wind up throwing in a future second round pick.

Important: Do not get used to this player being on the Rockets roster. They may and hopefully will be gone before the regular season begins. Again, the Rockets would package this player with the New Orleans first round pick, one or more of these nonguaranteed contracts, and one or more of the team's cheap/young assets (there are several such assets) for that elusive "third star." My guess: Rajon Rondo, but there are obviously other possibilities.

My expectations of how things will unfold between now and late October:

1) Sign Shawn Marion (two years, $9 mil, all guaranteed) with most of the MLE
    2) Sign Nick Johnson with the remainder of the MLE
    3) Trade the TPE for either Wilson Chandler, Tayshaun Prince, or Landry Fields
    4) Trade this guy with several other guys, plus the New Orleans first round pick, for that "third star.". I would rattle off possibilities besides Rajon Rondo but I need to get to work.

1 person likes this.
  5. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Wilson Chandler is a very underrated player. Would love him on this team

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

7. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

much like the old Glen Rice trade, the TE may not be used at it's full value given the lack of viable options.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm not a cap expert like Bima or anything, but could Jeremy Lin be reacquired using the Jeremy Lin TPE?

1 person likes this.
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

10. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

I think that's more a question for a quantum physicist.

1 person likes this.
  11. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

I'd really like the addition of Wilson Chandler. Can play the 3 or 4, has good range on his jump shot, and shores up a few weaknesses of ours (depth in the 3/4 position, bench scoring)

Another interesting note about Chandler: ShamSports says that his contract is only guaranteed for $2 million for the 2014-15 season. If we were to target a player like Rondo, I'm sure Boston isn't trying to add long-term salary to their team, but $2 million is low enough where it wouldn't be a significant deterrent to a trade.

Another option to consider would be Derrick Williams from Sacramento. We all know how Morey likes his reclamation projects, so he may consider a half season for the guy to build up some value before Morey flips him again. Depending on when Williams is traded again, the Rockets/other team would decide to not extend Williams a qualifying offer, thus making him an expiring contract, IIRC.

12. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

None of those options seem very exciting. Ilyasova or mayo maybe.

13. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I can't believe what I just read.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<p>Just a small note OP, you don't trade a TPE; its not a tradable asset. However, you can acquire a salary that is absorbed into the TPE.</p>

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm having some trouble understanding why a counterparty would give us a third star for Wilson Chandler and an early-to-mid-teens 1st round pick. Maybe if this third star has significant questions about his health and a long, hefty contract that could kill a team's cap flexibility if the health question turns bad. I'm not sure there are any players I know of in that set though. And triply unsure that I like that plan at all.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Is it absolutely necessary to use part of the MLE to sign Nick Johnson?
    Cannot the BAE be brought into use here?

17. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Something like this would be great

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I assume the thinking is to give him a Parsons-like contract (since that worked out so well) that is at least 3 seasons long so we'll have Bird Rights on him. A BAE contract can only be 2 years, I think, so Johnson would be a RFA at the end, but we wouldn't have Bird Rights to exceed the cap to match any offer.

1 person likes this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is precisely correct.

No worries though, he is signing a minimum contract. If a player passes on Houston because the MLE is reduced by a minimum dollar contract than he wasn't all that interested in being here to begin with.

1 person likes this.
  20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

count me in. I'd even do fully guaranteed. Marion can definitely guard the 4 spot