1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Is Terrence Williams a point guard? He thinks so. (w/ video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

<a href="http://rockets.clutchfans.net/1294/is-terrence-williams-a-point-guard-he-thinks-so/">Is Terrence Williams a point guard? He thinks so.</a>

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yes, he is.

3. pge71188

pge71188 Member

first. He is

4. jopatmc

LOL. Rookie.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, I agree with Mr. Williams. Morey wasn't crazy when he paid for the guy with a 1st round pick. I noticed at the end of your clip that he said he'd been learning a lot "from Shane and adding to my game." At least that's what I think I heard. That impressed me. Maybe Battier should stick around. Yeah, Williams has potential with a capital P.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think he can be a point guard. He has great vision and seems to get to the basket with ease.

If only we could see it.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If he could play point, I could see both AB and Lowry being traded and Ish doing the backup PG role.

I mean, a 6'6" PG would be a MASSIVE advantage, especially one that can rebound, defend and pass as well as TWill can....

And you know what? He sees that neither AB nor Kyle is lighting it up out there, neither are good defenders and neither have the court vision that he has....so maybe he thinks that is the path of least resistence to playing time.

And he is probably right.

DD

8. trugoy

trugoy Member

There's a lot more to being a point guard than being able to make a few flashy passes. I can't see how he could be given the opportunity to even prove himself at that position. He needs to cement a rotation spot at the 2 or 3 first.

9. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

I agree. Just when you think you have a potential direction figured out for this team finally, your theories go straight out the window.

I literally cannot come close to predicting what or who this team will be in a few weeks. Maybe that kind of versatility is good for making the necessary trades? Either way, I sure would like to see TWill get some extended action at the point, maybe alongside a backcourt of Brooks/Lee/Budinger in some combination. McGrady all over again? (Yea it's a huge reach, I know)

10. jopatmc

I mostly agree with this. He has the body and tools to become a superior point to both of them and could make both of them expendable.

Kyle is a good defender, a very disruptive force defensively.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Didn't he already say this when he first arrived :confused:

12. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

If he truly committed himself to learning the ins and outs of point (which I believe neither Brooks or Lowry would be the best examples, Shane might just because he is smart enough to understand the functioning of every position on the floor) then that would be a remarkable advantage. The last PG with that size and athleticism would be Magic. Yes, TW is a couple inches shorter and no I'm not saying that makes TW the next Magic. Just saying that is a very rare occurrence to have someone that big running point.

13. jopatmc

When we were in the playoffs, the man that was guarding DWill and other top notch point guards down the stretch was.....Shane Battier. Shane is the best teacher TWill could have defensively.

14. Zfan

Zfan Member

You think you are a PG won't make you a PG. The team thinks you a PG then you are a PG. This position is about leading the team in offense and where to start the D. It's more than passing and handling.

1 person likes this.
  15. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

when your top two options (KL+AB) have a combined 3 assists for the game, i'd take a look at Chuck Hayes at the point...

TWill looks like an excellent option, assuming he can defend quicker 1s on the other end.

regardless, this, coupled with Ish's call up, makes me suspect AB (who's got the highest trade value) is on his way out.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Please watch the Orlando game video again.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Obligatory Point Forward reference.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Also, he did train with Gary Payton last year. Another question would be can he defend opposing points?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WTDjnxXjnis" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

19. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

That's what I'm talking bout...Rockets need to take advantage of any mismatch they could create....

Trade AB, Lowry for some size and athleticism.

Opposing team would have no choice but to switch and/or double.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Not really.

Ask T-Mac.