1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 7 best Fried Chicken joints in Houston.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Oct 18, 2014.

1. VanityHalfBlack

According to Thrillist.com, we made it Yall!!!!

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/housto...-max-s-wine-dive-the-breakfast-klub-lucille-s

1. The Barbecue Inn-Independence Heights
    Generations of Houstonians have been able to enjoy The Barbecue Inn’s family charm and Southern taste. Their family recipes have been honed and perfected over the last 70 years, including some seriously mind-blowing fried chicken, which isn't even the most sought-after menu item (that title goes to the fried shrimp). But sometimes only bird will do, and this one does beautifully with a homemade batter that crisps up perfectly around an impossibly juicy interior

2.Frenchy's-Multiple locations
    Frenchy's puts a creole twist on their menu, which includes boudin, red beans & rice, and jambalaya. It also includes some impressive fried chicken that's always accompanied by a tasty jalapeño. If you've been to one of their many Houston locations, you've likely experienced a long line, and the feeling (as soon as you take a bite) that said line was worth it. This makes sense, as they've been perfecting their game since the original location popped up on Scott St in 1969.

3.Punk's Simple Southern Food-West University
    From longhorn purse holders under the bar to a trophy peacock on the wall, this place screams Southern. Chef Brandi Key has developed a delicious menu inspired by all stretches of Southern cooking. They've got fried oyster BLTs, pickled Gulf shrimp, and a biscuit bar with toppings like crawfish etouffee. But of course, you can’t leave out the option developed by her ancestors: fried chicken. They encourage a family-style dinner, and you can choose a half-bird or full-bird, but either way, Grandma Pat's crispy buttermilk preparation will have you salivating before you even notice you've been given sides of biscuits, horseradish mashed potatoes, and red-eye gravy.

4.Max's Wine Dive-[I]Multiple locations
    With two locations inside the loop, Max’s Wine Dive is making a tasty name for itself on the fried chicken map here in Houston. Dimly-lit, and with an ambiance that tempts you to stick around for "one more drink" (or two more bottles of wine), the place also keeps you coming back with a Southern-style menu that'll have you licking the grease off your fingers. The hard part is picking between the jalapeño-buttermilk marinated fried chicken with home fries, collared greens & Texas toast, or maple-glazed donuts & chicken wings. The easy part is saying "f*** it" and choosing both.[/I]

5.Liberty Kitchen & Oyster Bar-The Heights
    Who knows whether it’s the exclusivity of this fried bird or the fact that its just DAMN GOOD that brings the crowds. Probably both, but the fact remains that if you make it into Liberty Kitchen on Wednesdays for their fried chicken special, you'll probably want to come back with more friends next Wednesday. Accompanied by homemade hot sauce syrup and smashed potatoes & gravy, this perfectly prepared bird will make you want to get up and demand the recipe (which will not work). Although the full bird isn't available daily, you can nab some extremely tasty fried chicken sliders and also (yep) fried chicken deviled eggs.

6.The Breakfast Klub-Fourth Ward
    How did a breakfast place land a spot on this list? Because this breakfast place fries chicken, puts it on top of a fried waffle, and then fries your tastebuds off with sweet and savory amazingness. Do yourself a favor, and add some grits into the mix while you're at it. Don't mind the clown who may or may not be making balloon animals while you wait for a table.

7.Lucille's-Museum District
    This chicken-frying establishment was named after the chef/owner's great-grandmother, Lucille, the first African American businesswoman in Texas. Chef Chris Williams serves Southern-style dishes with European twists, to make his food both familiar and unique. Freshness is key, and they prove it with a backyard garden that supplies much of their produce. When it comes to the fried chicken, or "yard bird" as they call it, freshness is not spared. Organic and slow fried to perfection, the yard bird is served with garden-grown, smoked collared greens, mac & cheese, and a bourbon pickle... 'cause everything is better with a pickle. Throw in some hot rolls and some blue crab beignets and you have yourself quite a meal.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Punk's is garbage

their fried chicken is ok (but extremely small portions, they cut everything into halves and call it 2 pieces), but there is maybe 1 or 2 things on their menu even worth ordering. Po Boys are also just about the worst in town

3. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Birdhouse must be too new to make the list. Their stuff is freaking awesome.

4. dragician

dragician Member

There's a new kid in the block:

Pollo Tropical.

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

No KFC?

/s

6. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Where the hell is Popeye's????

7. mikus

mikus Member

I second that, Popeye's is the best of the chains.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

A Frenchy's opened up near where I work (249/Beltway 8) and I've never seen a line there or bitten into anything there that didn't have that unmistakeable fast food, grease, 2nd rate flavor to it.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Raising Cane's yo.
    That sauce is to die for.

10. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

As a black man I must say that fried chicken must have bones to qualify.

11. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

The sauce and chicken is a wonderful combination.. but by itself, the chicken seems bland to me.

EDIT: I haven't tried all of the joints on this list, but the few I had are good on their own. I would add the chicken and waffles from Adair's Kitchen; their bacon batter waffles are bomb and the chicken puts it right up there with Breakfast Klub.

#11 ShutURBiG!, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

WEAK! Ive boycotted that place. Who the hell serves bland chicken fingers with no option of mash potatoes? For that single reason exclusively, I never go there anymore. Plus that sauce is weak IMO.

Cane's Sauce: Mayo, ketchup, worchestershire, paprika, salt and crushed peppercorn. (you're welcome- rep if you'd like but that stuff is weak)

Back to the topic. It's hard to beat KFC original recipe and definitely Popeye's spicy.

13. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Max's is way better than Barbeque Inn. I used to live near the Barbeque Inn and I never felt their fried chicken lived up to the hype. However, if people came in from out of town I would always bring them to Max's for the chicken and no one was ever disappointed.

I don't know if they still do this but the Tasting Room used to have a Sunday Brunch and have all you can eat Max's Fried Chicken (plus a ton more stuff). It was very expensive though, like $40 per person.

14. Win

Win Contributing Member

It's been many years since i lived in Houston... Back then, few things satisfied (save, p***y) after a nite at #'s, Fitzgeralds, Rudyards, etc like a stop at the Frenchys on Scott street. Glad to hear they are still there.

15. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Chicken plus

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think they have fried chicken, do they? Eh, doesn't matter to me since I hardly ever eat fried chicken anymore. A couple of those opened up around my house, and I like the chicken. But all I get is the grilled chicken. It's pretty good.

17. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Its extremely bland, but that's done on purpose. Raising Cane's would much rather be known for their sauce than their chicken. Their sauce was their "original" calling card. And they would like to keep it that way. They want to make sure that everyone who comes there HAS to get some sauce.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Zelko's has an excellent fried chicken dish.

19. opticon

opticon Member

The chicken plus was the truth. Have not had it in 10 years though. the one I used to go to off wayside closed down. Is there another one some where in Houston?

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Don't live in Houston anymore but the Max's in Austin sucks. Gus's on the other hand, is the best fried chicken I've had at a restaurant.

1 person likes this.