1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glynch, Oct 2, 2014.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What is going on with him? At camp? Already in D League? Just another temporary "asset"? I have visions of him engaging in a block party on Aldridge with Dwight in the next playoffs.

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Just my opinion, but I'd be very surprised if he sniffed the court with the Rockets this season. I've watched a few games and while there is talent, he is pretty raw. I don't worry about his physical ability, I worry more about his ability to actually get the game.

Would not surprise me in the least if CC was included in a deal this year.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

he'll be in the d-league all year

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Perfect Hakeem pupil but it would never happen

5. bmd

bmd Member

I'm guessing Capela is more of a project. He's got a lot of potential but he's nowhere near ready to be a contributor in the NBA this year. He will be in the D-League the whole year.

In fact, if I remember correctly, Morey wanted him to stay in Europe to develop and he would bring him over to the Rockets in a year or two.

But Capela pretty much demanded to come over this year. Can anybody confirm if that is correct or am I mistaken?

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yes, and from what i saw in an interview prior to the draft, he was really eager to get paid

7. basketballholic

That is correct. And the agreement came down immediately after the Bosh signing fell apart and the subsequent non-match of Parsons offer sheet.

That's why I think Capela is trade bait. Because Morey essentially gave in and signed him after the Bosh and Parsons deals went south. I think Morey is looking to combine Capela and possibly some other young assets for another future first and perhaps an expiring salary or he's looking to straight up trade Capela and some young talent for a starting/rotation player.

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Young, defensively talented bigs are hard to find. That's why I think Capela is the long term solution for the backup center spot. The Joey Dorsey / Torik Black's of the world are essentially stop gaps until Capela develops a little further.

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

That's correct.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Clutch mentioned that he was at training camp, though he was not seen and he left quickly.

Really odd that we still have not seen action from a guy who has been hanging around with the team since summer league.

It probably means nothing, but take it for what you will.

11. gdinamite

gdinamite Member

But is he already im camp? Why anybody show any photos of him trainning?

12. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Where is Clint Capela!

#secretweapon

13. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Keeping an eye on Capela ever since I heard that analyst say if you've ever seen him play you would know why teams shouldn't draft him on draft night.

I hope he can at least be a serviceable backup after an assessment like that.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Gotta believe 'that' analyst. Draft grades are made by what the professional non-in-an-NBA-place-draftniks think about their own ratings.

CC is D for year; or trade bait. May well become something, but apparently not too uh, soon.

15. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

So is this guy another Malick Badiane?

1 person likes this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If he plays great defense, and shows he can rebound early on, I wouldn't rule out him getting PT this year.

For those of you that don't know, this guy has freakish length, is still growing, and has potential for elite level defensive presence in the paint.

He's raw yes, but he has the tools that few bigs coming into Houston's system in the past have had. He has physical abilities that guys like Jones, D-Mo, and Scola, Landry, etc. have not had in the past.

I wouldn't rule him out of anything just yet, and I wouldn't go as far as to call him "Trade Bait". He has physical abilities that rarely get in Morey's hands given where they draft & how they make trades.

Don't expect much right off the bat, but keep an eye out this year. I'm sure he will start in the D-League, but again... if he can help defensively and on the glass, there is a place for him on this roster.

17. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I don't see the downside in bringing him over this year for the D League. Its undeniable that CC would excel faster over here in our farm system; why let him play two more years in Europe with less quality training and acclimation to the NBA game?

18. bmd

bmd Member

It would save a roster spot.

19. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

I haven't seen any interviews or any pictures with CC. can't remember seeing a first rounder being kept such a secret from the media and fans. They obviously are trying to trade him and keep him a mystery for teams to keep his trade value decently high.

Not expecting anything from this guy in a rockets uniform

20. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Also increases the value of his contract. we won't be paying for someone to develop and then if he does intact develop some other team gets to swipe him away in his productive years.