1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik not worried about Dwight Howard talk

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedrockets, May 6, 2013.

1. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

This is why he is my favorite player on this team!!! Why do yall want the Tinman on this team

Omer Asik Stats:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/asikom01.html#per_game::none

Dwight Howard Stats:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/howardw01.html#per_game::none

So why do you guys want this clown on the team he is on the decline...59% two years ago from the Free Throw line and the last two seasons 49%

18 million vs 8 million and you are getting the same production -- I do not get the logic you guys throwing out

2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Need a link......thanks! :eek:

3. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Effort, Heart and Toughness count for something in this league, as the Bulls have shown. Omer trumps Howard in all 3, and is not that far behind him in defensive talent.

Shore up the post offense at the 4 and wing positions, trust in Omer to develop a midrange shot and we you don't need Howard

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Duhwight Howard

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's not just about the production, although Dwight's offense is better than Omer's offense.

It's about the ability to bring in someone like Chris Paul, if we had both Harden and Dwight.

Harden and Dwight looks more enticing than Harden and Asik.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If Omer was worried, he'd be a better player.

1 person likes this.
  7. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

8. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

I think Asik is great, but he's not Dwight Howard. Granted, Howard is getting by this year a little bit based on his reputation from previous years, but when he's healthy, he is clearly the better player.

He performs better with basic rate stats but also in advanced stats like True Shooting %, both Offense Rating and Defensive Rating (and hence Net Rating), and Win Shares. In addition, there are a lot of indications based on the player-tracking data that he prevents far more shot attempts at the rim than Asik (meaning guys don't or can't attack the basket when he's in the paint). That's exactly the defensive strategy we want to use, because it mirrors our offensive approach of only taking high-percentage shots (in this case, he would be preventing the other team from taking high-percentage shots). The only place where he performs worse than Asik is in FT%, and honestly it's not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be because he does everything else so much better.

The only real question is at what point are you paying for Howard's past performance as opposed to his future projection? It's hard to know how his injury is going to affect his long-term performance over a 4+ year contract. If he's not on the court or he's playing injured, then he's not going to have as much of an impact, in which case it might make sense to play it safe with Asik and spend the cap room elsewhere.

1 person likes this.
  9. Blaushark

Blaushark Member

We need PF and probably we need to upgrade PG, as for the remaining of cap; we can upgrade our reserves....but we do not need a starting C. Dont waste our cap...its silly.

10. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

this is the dumb logic I'm talking about who cares about chris paul...last time I checked neither the teams hes been on haven't won a damn thing and got bounced out just like us in the first round

11. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

That's even dumber logic, imo. That's MJ logic haha. Kobe > Lebron RIGHT NOW only because Kobe has more rings? uhh okay.

Championships aren't that easy to get -- they depend on a lot of things, not just having the best player (though that certainly helps). Timing, competition, luck, health, etc., SO many variables go into it. Only 1 out of 30 win a year, and there are dynasties for a reason. There are plenty of HoF's who have never won a ring -- you're saying some of them in their prime you would not want on our team if possible?

CP3 is statistically the best or second best PG OF ALL TIME. He is widely considered the best PG playing in the nba right now, and probably the 3rd best player active in the nba. CP3 picks defenses apart and has a true gift for the game. If you watch him play, you can see just how much talent he has and how good he is. His stats this season are great, but even with just the eye test, you'd be hard pressed to not be "o_O"

There's not a better way of getting a ring for our team in the near future than the CP3 + D12 + Harden route. Now you can argue how realistic that combination is (it is a long shot), but I don't think you can argue anyone in their right minds not GOING for that combination if it is a possibility. Could they have horrible chemistry concerns like LAL? Sure, but that is a ex post determination. You would always roll the dice on that opportunity, time and time again if you had it (and know how to play the odds).

12. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

I dont think we really need to upgrade at PG as much as we do PF. I think our young PGs are just fine and they're actually decent unlike the scrubs we have at PF. But yeah, I think we should just go for Dwight and play the 4-5 with Asik or go for a star PF. Obviously if CP3 is available you go for him but don't say we need an "upgrade" at PG. We don't necessarily have to have an all star at every position. Dont get your expectations too high. Besides Lin might end up being all star caliber anyway

13. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

He shouldn't be worried because it is out of his hands. Then again if he had the same skill set, then he would have been a little.

14. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Bro, I think you're the one here with dumb logic. The Rockets can get better next season, no doubt. But without bringing in another player (of Superstar Quality) the Rockets have ABSOLUTELY ZERO chance of winning a championship next season. And as of right now there are 2 marquee FA's available; the best Center in the NBA and the best PG in the NBA. I love Asik, and I think he's a great player, but he's not Dwight Howard. And I'm not a "LOH" but it's absolutely asinine to not think that Chris Paul would be a substantial upgrade over Jeremy Lin. With either one of them the Rockets become an immediate championship contender and a new "hotspot" for players to want to come play.

And speaking of dumb logic, I guess it would be pointless if we got a guy like Deron Williams, Blake Griffin, Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, DeMarcus Cousins, Paul Milsap, Al Jefferson, or Kyrie Irving because "last time I checked neither the teams hes been on haven't won a damn thing"

Get outta here dude...

1 person likes this.
  15. Blaushark

Blaushark Member

That is exactly what I have in mind. Im sure we'll be fine with current PG's unless we get CP... but Howard over Asik? Its a waste of money. Go all out for super star PF...and let them grow together...

16. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I think too many people are being sentimental about Asik. I like the guy, I really do. He is a great player. But he is no where near the level that Howard is. Howard commands a double team in the post, and allows us to have a true halfcourt game when necessary. He runs the PnR more effectively, and is at least as good as Asik on defense.

Lots of people complain about how our greatest need is at PF, not C. This is true, but Howard is a great upgrade over Asik, and we don't suddenly lose Asik's value. He doesn't just disappear. He is a highly sought after commodity, and Morey LOVES selling high. Imagine moving TRob for a pick (so we can sign Howard to a max) and having a couple million left before hitting the salary cap (I will assume it goes to $60-61M, which is a fair estimate based on the widely reported increases in nba revenue, though the exact BRI calculation is extremely convoluted in the cba). We could easily move Asik for a first round pick. Now with the space we could either sign JSmith to a cheaper deal (if he agrees), or imo, sign Millsap.

Millsap is an underrated PF who is developing a 3pt shot (he can do corner 3's like 2Pat at least), is very much underrated on defense (almost as good statistically on defense as JSmoove, though not as versatile) and is a hustle player who works very hard. That sounds like an amazing team to me.

Let us be honest now -- Asik's great games are Dwight's normal games. Even this season, with Dwight playing hurt for the first half (trainers, medical staff, coaching staff and Dwight himself have all admitted it), his season average is a lot better than Asik's. Now look at how well he played (and LAL played actually) post all star break, as chemistry and health worked themselves out. It is a lot more impressive. We would get a Dwight who would have even more time to heal up, and would be in an atmosphere that will be better for him (not saying I know he'll fit in HTown, but come on, has to be better than being w/ Kobe -- those two are like polar opposites in personality haha).

1 person likes this.
  17. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

this was his first year as a full time starter bro...the year Dwight got drafted that was the year Omer started playing basketball (17 years of age)....18 million vs 8 million ...why would you put yourself in a cap hold

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Dwight is much better,it's not even close. Don't look at numbers...Howard's presence on defense scares the **** out of opposing teams. Nobody is scared of Asik. That's a big difference, specially given the fact that our defense sucked last season. We need Dwight.

19. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

and when the Heat win the series, won't that show that effort, heart and toughness don't amount to pure talent.

20. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

"Cap Hold" is what you want to avoid at all costs if.....your team sucks. If somehow the Rockets find a way to bring in D12 and CP3 do you think Daryl Morey will care that his cap is tied up?....(Don't worry, I'll answer it for ya) NO!!! The reason you don't want to tie up your cap is because it can prevent you from acquiring top level talent, but if you have the best pg in the NBA, the best sg in the NBA (homerish I know), and the best C in the NBA, who cares about the cap?!?!?