1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much improvement will we see in Beverley and Jones this season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DrNuegebauer, Jul 11, 2014.

1. basketballholic

Its ridiculous to classify Terrence as a point guard and to compare him with them.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Who's classifying him as a point guard? He just said that you bash Jones for his jumper and his lack of improvement on it, but defend Rubio's jump shot to the death when it's just as bad.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Completely ignored or forgot your love for Wubio

4. jedicro

jedicro Member

You can't judge whether or not there will be any improvement, decline, or stagnation in his jumpshot based off 6 attempts. This would be true whether he went 6-6 or 0-6. You also can't decide whether his overall game has or has not improved based off limited preseason minutes. These are things we'll learn as the season goes and rotations solidify.

I'm not saying you're wrong, or that he won't be traded, or that he is our PF of the future. I'm saying your credibility as a talent evaluator is suspect when you make declarative statements after seeing an extremely small sample of work.

Also he doesn't *have* to be able to hit 3's for our offense to work. Our starting lineup's offense was amazing last year with him not being a serious outside threat. He does a lot of things really well on the offensive end, despite his warts. He actually had the second highest WS/48 on the team last year over Howard (and well above Parsons). He is better than you give him credit for.

5. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

You should argue that the sample set is too small and that the probability it equates to the long term is highly uncertain.

6. jedicro

jedicro Member

I believe that is exactly what I did.

rcketsfan1 likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

8. basketballholic

When a player makes a significant improvement to his game....it jumps out at you. You can see it. And the sample size, in the case of a player improving his shot, goes up substantially as the player displays his new found skill and confidence. None of this has happened with Terrence. It's the same old thing. This is his 3rd NBA offseason he's just come through. Tell me what dramatic improvement you see? Be honest. I'm not talking about him being an incrementally better dribbler since he has already had a handle. I'm talking about the areas where we need our 4 man to be good at. Handling ain't one of them. It's just a side benefit.

This team is WAY BETTER OFF to have a 4 man that spots up and is willing to and has the efficiency to catch and fire the 3-ball when the ball comes out than to have a guy with an excellent handle at the 4 who can't shoot a basketball but who has a plethora of handlemania at the 4 man and can probably outhandle just about every PF in the business. That is the case with Terrrence. He's got a terrific handle for a 4 man. That's not going to help this team.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

its funny how you criticize TJ but your man crush on Rubio describes everything you just said. the only difference is TJ is the one actually showing improvement, while Rubio is still mediocre and has remained the same player thus far every year, showing no signs of improvement.

regular season hasn't even began yet, where the relevant rotations are clear and the real playing time actually happens. hes already showed significant improvement from year one to two. calm down. but no matter what he does it wouldn't really matter cause you're infatuated with some 4 that can stand at the 3 pt line all day and jack up shots and apparently thats easily your winning solution.

10. basketballholic

It's funny to compare Terrence and Rubio. Downright stupid funny. They play different positions and are responsible for different things. The role of the 4 man on this team DEMANDS that he be a 3-point shooter with a good degree of efficiency.

On the other hand, Rubio is a point guard, laded with the responsibility of RUNNING AN OFFENSE. TERRENCE IS NOT THAT! And we do not have the team built for a point forward distributing offense, which Terrence can't do efficiently anyways.

Being a 4-man that can shoot the 3 and a point guard that can deliver the basketball to the shooters in pinpoint fashion are 2 OBVIOUSLY DIFFERENT THINGS.

It is stupid funny to compare Terrence and Rubio. STUPID FUNNY! :grin:

Because Terrence can neither distribute efficiently, nor is he on a team that needs distribution at the 4-spot, but neither can he shoot efficiently, which IS WHAT HE NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO DO THE MOST on this team as currently constructed.

I sure hope you get this. I broke it down for you as simply as I could. And this is about the sixth time you (and others) have went here. I won't continue to respond to STUPID FUNNY posts that can't be taken seriously.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah its funny because that was in no way relevant to the subject of player improvement. so your defense was to use different responsibilities and position lol. so that makes it ok..good one

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

At least Jones can make it sometimes when nobodies within 10 feet of him.

13. basketballholic

I have NEVER defended Rubio's poor jump shot. NEVER.

If Rubio's name were Jubio, I'd call him _ubio all the time.

Rubio's game is not built around shooting a jump shot. He's never going to take a lot of shots in the game..............even if he turns into a 40% 3-point shooter. Rubio is a distributor deluxe. Not a shooter. He is a defender that racks up steals and ball tips defensively and he's the guy that creates all sorts of wide open shots for other players. If Rubio were traded here it wouldn't be because he is going to spot up in the corner and shoot the 3 all the time. He would be playing a role similar to what he is playing in Minny, on the ball, splitting double teams with his ball magic and creating wide open looks for shooters and finishers.

LOL. More stupid funny from you here.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

and then you would probably say this team DEMANDS that he be a 3-point shooter with a good degree of efficiency, once he starts bricking all the open looks teams give him all night lol

15. jedicro

jedicro Member

I have no idea if his shot is going to be better or not, and neither do you. Yes, things like that can jump out at you, just like Casspi's shooting jumped out to us last year...how did that work out? Jones showed improvement over the course of last season so I don't think it's outrageous to think he might get incrementally better this year. I do think it's outrageous to write that off as a possibility altogether because of 6 attempts.

Ignoring the fact that his handle does help this team, it's not all he does well. He is an elite finisher at the rim. I don't mean elite for 2nd year players, or elite for guys with names that rhyme with Clarence. He is among the very best in the entire league at finishing at the rim. He also has shown a very effective post game that I hope to see develop some more this year. Also, despite the fact that his boxing out fundamentals may not be the best, he does get a fair amount of rebounds and putbacks (again thanks to his great finishing ability)

Do I think he's going to be much better this year? I don't know for certain. But what I do know is that he has shown a wide-range of skills that are definitely valuable in the NBA. He was inconsistent with them last year, so I hope this is the year he starts putting it altogether. You don't post a PER of 19.1 if you're a stiff.

16. basketballholic

If you are talking about a back door cut at the rim where nobody is within 10 feet of Terrence, then yes, he can make it very efficiently.....as can Rubio and every other player in the league that can CATCH the basketball.

However, if you are talking about making a jump shot outside of 3 feet frmo the goal......Terrence is less than 32% on all those shots. He can't make them guarded or unguarded.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not a Jones fan, but Rubio is a better "fit" because he is a vastly better player. Rockets only fixtures are Howard and Harden. As Howard can't shoot, two (preferably all three) of the PG, SF, and PF need to be efficient from 3-point land. If Rubio was the PG, the PF would have to be a three point shooter. If the Rockets had someone like David West, the PG would have to be a three point shooter.