1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Morey wants Dragic back - (Twitter)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TxCowboy96, Apr 26, 2012.

1. gregas

gregas Member

Yes, yes, I get it, your psychic skills are unmatched to the date, evidenced by your profound peering into Mark Cuban's mind and adding an MVP type player onto an already contending roster would not only make them worse but guarantee that that team would never win a championship.

This conversation is over and I'm done with you for now and the future.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's fine that you have that opinion, DD, but do you really have to express it 43 times in this thread? That's 32 more than the next two cats with the most opinions. How many times is it necessary to tell the world that you think Morey and Alexander should pay Dragic whatever it takes?

Morey and Alexander should pay Dragic whatever it takes.

See, I said that once. I don't believe that, but I'm simply making a point. Reading this thread is like wading through a swamp of DaDakota! ;-)-

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Cuban made the mistake of letting Nash go and then having a better record than he ever had with Nash for like 7 years straight, while also winning a championship. Nash's ascendance just happened to coincide with his teaming up with D'antoni, which I'm sure was a coincidence.

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Rep'ed.

OMR in mid-season form! I agree with you that Morey has to be pro-active hear. Fans tweet, Ipads won't do squat.

I will gladly eat my words, but I expect Morey to let the market dictate Dragic's value and subsequently lose him because someone (i.e. Paul Allen) will shower him with mucho dinero.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

FALSE

Nash was already an elite PG - he became an elite player when he went to phoenix where a system totally catered to him and his style letting him have the ball the majority of the time to create for his team.

nash was already a 2-time all-star, 2 time all-nba 3rd team member before signing with phoenix to that long term deal at the age of 29.

How often do you see a player at the cusp of being 30 go from being an all-star to 2 time mvp? let alone maintain that level of play -- Steve Nash is the only player that comes to mind that went from ok to good and then from good to great at such an older age.

No one at the time criticized Cuban for letting Nash walk at the price that the Suns paid for him. The only criticized him AFTER when he let Nash walk and then signed Dampier to that atrocious contract - at that point its like why sign Dampier to that sort of money when you balked at giving that to Nash when Nash was clearly the better player.

I dont think it cost the mavs any titles at all - they won their titles and their trips to the finals after Nash left and they started to focus more on defense with Avery Johnson and Rick Carlisle because well Nash wasnt much of a defender and those suns teams never were either.

Goran is nowhere near the level of Nash when leaving Dallas - not sure how you can compare the two talents and equate that letting Goran leave is akin to him going and become all nba elsewhere (let alone a mvp)

bottom line is that again even if the Rockets match or offer Goran more money he is free to leave and go elsewhere and thats his choice. He may choose to do that with Lowry here since he may always be on the hotseat proving he needs to justify being the starter (and again IMO i believe both are at the same level of ability most people have a short term memory on Lowry's play earlier this season)

And again i would NOT trade Lowry until after something is locked up with Dragic if thats the direction the team wishes to go. Trading Lowry as a sign of good faith to Dragic is foolish he could still then just walk to a near max contract (if allen is foolish enough to through near max or max money at him) and that would leave the Rockets with no one at PG.

I prefer to keep both but I really dont mind who stays if the other goes (well most likely Lowry) to improve the team talent wise at another position

6. jocar

jocar Member

7. jocar

jocar Member

too funny

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

thank you. same thing i said a few times, but spoken more succinctly.

9. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

What would you offer him? Be specific

When has an email campaign, twitter campaign, an ipad, or van full of red rowdies ever been the deciding factor for a player or even swayed anyone into staying with an organization? Is there any basis to believe that any of these pr stunts will have an impact in the decision-making process of a player?

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

As I said before, DD is the Tmac of posters. He jacks up posts from everywhere and only remembers the ones he right about.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not exactly. There is a basis to believe it might have an impact -- simply being that all else being equal players will want to play in a city where the fans appreciate what they do rather than being apathetic towards them.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Only Parker, Nash, and Paul put up over 18 and 7 as starters this season. TP and Nash make about 11-12 million. Paul makes over 15 and is the only who deserves to.

Goran deserves 10, 11 at most, and only because of the small sample. If he had done it over a season, I'd say he'd deserve up to 12. What he lacks is the ability to consistently rise up from the perimeter in a one on one match up. Paul and Parker can. Nash can, although not as well as the other two. Goran has to set himself too much to pull it off. Otherwise, he'd deserve over 12 million and would put up 20 and 10, at least.

My guess is Morey doesn't believe it'll actually sway a player into staying. The point is it doesn't hurt. It's never going to make a player not want to stay. It's not going to turn 50/50 into 51% in our favor either, but it could change 60% into 61%. If a player is already leaning that far into our direction, then any extra push is just further securing the decision.

Now, the caravan idea was embarrassment, but only because it was poorly executed.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

To me, the situation calls for a contract with some incentive clauses. Something like 4 yrs, $8.5 mil per in base salary and with bonus (up to, say, $2 mil per or in the form of a 5th year that is conditionally guaranteed) if the team makes it to WCF and if Dragic is either an Allstar or All NBA team member. This will basically bring his pay close to or exceeding the level given out to the likes of Scola, Conley, Manu Ginobili, and Kirk Hinrich.

Something like a 5 yr, $65 million guaranteed deal would be only $1 mil per yr below the max (5 yr, around $70 mil) and risks you having an deal that clogs up your cap (you do need talent around Dragic, no?) and need to give out a lot of talent or draft pick to be rid of. Remember, Dragic is still relatively unproven and other PG with more of a track record have done well in short runs and then regressed to the mean before.

Alternatively, perhaps a 2 yr deal, at about $16 mil total, with the 2nd being player option is something to look into. Gives everyone time to assess how well Dragic can sustain his performance level (might even earn more in 2013) while insuring him against injury with the 2nd year money. Maybe even a large 1 yr, $9 mil deal like the one signed by Humphries and Landry.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, sorry, that happens when I get into arguments..my bad.

DD

15. deshen

deshen Member

you guys are crazy, Dragic won't be paid anything close to 10m per.
    IMO, 5m is more likely, might be 4m.

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Lately?

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

If Morey paid Goran Dragic that kind of salary you would be first in line to b****. That's crazy money.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The crazy arent allowed to call others crazy...

19. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Oh having Goran back would be great. He is playing at a great level and he has size for a PG guard. With him and Lowry playing the PG position, that gives the Rockets a tough one two combo at the point. That makes the Rockets deep at the PG position.

A lot of people cried because we cut Lin from the team but the Rockets knew exactly what they were doing. Jeremy Lin is good and the only reason why he has gotten so famous is because he had a few good games and he plays for the Knicks and every little thing a new young player does in a Knicks uniform usually gets blown up.

But the Rockets knew that Lin is indeed a good player but he isn't nearly as good as Kyle Lowry or Dragic. I mean it would be nice to have him on the Roster but he would not get any playing time because the Rockets coaching staff evaluate all our PGs and they know who's our best top 2 PG. They know Jeremy Lin is a much better player than Johnny Flynn but they know at that time, Flynn is more popular than Lin so they figure they can trade Flynn easier than Lin. It was tough for them to cut Lin because they knew he was a good player but there wasn't room for him and the Rockets cut him so he can go to a team that needs him.

They don't want to hold on to him and waste his career having him sit on the bench being a bench warmer behind two PGs that are better than him and he wouldn't have much of playing time. The Rockets are smart because they kept Lowry and Dragic because its simple, they're both are the best PG on the Rockets roster. They watch Flynn, Lowry, Dragic, and Lin duke it out for playing time but Kyle and Dragic are just simply better players. The coaching staff knows first hand because they watch them during training camp and tons of practices.

The Rockets know that Lin is a much better player than Flynn but they cut Lin because they know not a lot of team knows much about him and plus they know Flynn has a better trade value than Lin because not a lot of teams know much about Lin but with Flynn, some teams still believed that he still has the potential to be a good PG so they kept him. If the Rockets would have cut Flynn and try to trade Lin and Thabeet for Camby, I don't think Portland would make that trade because they all know Thabeet is a bust and they think Flynn would make a good back up PG or even a good starting PG for them one day because the fact that Flynn is a young lottery pick and Lin was an undrafted player out of Harvard.

The Rockets didn't want to keep Lin and hold him back instead they cut him so he can go to a team that he can fit in with their system nicely and to a team that would need a young PG that can play. Don't get me wrong, having Lin as our 3rd string PG would be incredibly nice but he won't get much PT because he would be out-match by Kyle and Goran.

So overall, I would be very happy if we can get Dragic back and have that 2 headed monster at our PG position. Lin is a very good player but he isn't as good as Kyle or Dragic. Plus I think Lin is injury prone which I don't want any more injury prone player on this team.

BTW, imagine if Kyle Lowry or Dragic would have played for NY Knicks, I bet they would have been blown up by the media about how great of a PG they are and I bet if Lowry would have played for the KNicks this season, he would make it into the All Star Roster... Our PGs don't get much recognition because they don't have a big name player and plus the media don't really pay much attention to what Houston are doing.

So I hope Morey can keep Goran and extend his contract because having Goran and Lowry playing our one-two punch at the PG position gives us an advantage over most team because usually our PGs combo can play with the best PGs in the NBA because both players bring so much positive things to the table. Both have the size, physical, hustle hard, never gives up on a play, both are above average defenders and both are great passers, and overall, they both can score when needed or affect the game greatly with their intensity. So please bring back Goran because our PG duo are definitely good to great together and they can play against the top PGs in the league.

20. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Trade Lowry to the Hornets for the 10th overall pick, Jason Smith and a Lottery protected pick in 2013 (top 5)

Draft Perry Jones 10th overall

Draft Jeremy Lamb 14th overall

Draft Tony Wroten 16th overall

----

We will then have the biggest and tallest team in the NBA

PG- Goran Dragic( 6'3), Tony Wroten( 6'5)
    SG Kevin Martin (6'7), Jeremy Lamb( 6'6), Courtney Lee( 6'5)
    SF- Chandler Parsons (6'10), Perry Jones( 6'11), Marcus Morris( 6'8)
    PF- Luis Scola ( 6'9), Donatas Motiejunas( 7'0), Patrick Patterson( 6'9)
    C- Sam Dalembert ( 6'11), Jason Smith( 7'0), Greg Smith ( 6'10)

We would be the tallest team in the league