1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading down

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Joe Joe, May 5, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

#9 and the pick Orlando owes the rocks for the #10, 13. A good 2 or 3 should be left at the #13 spot to help depth. What are the odds that Orlando drafts two big men?

The # 10 and 13 is a lot more inticing than a number 9.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

2. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

I really am hoping that the Rockets pick up Miles. For years I have been waiting for the Rockets to be able to get young talent, and this kid seems to have as much as Stevie in the athletic department. The only problem with him is his weight, he is a pole and needs to hit the weights hard (I heard he was working with JJ Kersee's husband). Anyway, if we do trade down Miles is out of the question, but what if we drafted Stevenson (13) to play the 3 and Moiso (10) to man the 4? Would anyone here pick Stevenson that high?

------------------

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

his Stock is rising....lots of teams are interested....he's got an accurate jumper, a 40+ vert, and freakish athleticism. I'm not completely sure of him at the 3. His coach said he has good D...but that's HS. He's also only 6'5'' in most listings.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

4. MManal

MManal Member

Having the 10 and 13 overall picks would be excellent. Not sure if Orlando would be willing to do that deal, but if they did, it would be very good for the Rockets.

On DeShawn Stevenson... I would definitely be interested in taking him 13th overall. I would even consider him at 9th overall. Once he goes through workouts, I think his stock is really going to rise. He is incredibly athletic and explosive with a 40+ inch vertical leap and has a good outside shot and decent ball handling skills. That type of combination is difficult to find. I think he possesses a better package of talent than a lot of SGs in the NBA. He has the explosion and athletic ability of Larry Hughes and has legit NBA SG skills to go with that. I think when its all said and done, he will be a lottery pick.

I realize the Rockets are overloaded at the SG position, but when talents like this come along, its tough to pass them up. The thought of Francis and Stevenson in the same backcourt just has to make you drool. If Stevenson develops, this backcourt would easily be the best in basketball even better than Kidd-Hardaway. If the Rockets drafted Stevenson, I think they'd bring along slowly as the Lakers did with Kobe, then eventually, they would have a starting trio of Francis-Stevenson-Anderson with Mobley off the bench.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If we bring Stevenson here, it would cut into Mobley's time if Stevenson were to develop and Anderson were to still get playing time in the backcourt. How do you think Mobley would handle that?

------------------
    ?

6. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

SA can play the 3....

Also, if DeShawn grows an inch or two, he'll have enough height to play the 3 as well....Kobe grew from 6'6'' to 6'8'' within his first two years, so it can happen, especially with HSers.

If we got #10 and #13, and turned them into Olumide Oyededji, and DeShawn Stevenson, look out....I say a pretty fair comparison for Oyededji could be the Preseason form of Cato...he has that type of rebounding and intensity.

------------------

7. MManal

MManal Member

As Nike pointed out, Shandon is capable of playing the 3. I dont think its the end of the world if the Rockets dont have a 6-8 or 6-9 SF. The Knicks have been successful with a perimeter trio of Ward-Houston-Sprewell so I think it can work. The key is to have two players backing them up that can rebound and block shots. Thus, the Rockets would need to get a solid, defensive minded PF that can rebound and block shots and bring KT off the bench. Personally, I feel Mobley is a 6th man and should stay there. He likes to shoot a good bit and can score in bunches which is ideal for a bench spark. He could still get a good amount of PT off the bench as he is capable of playing multiple positions.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ah, ok. For some reason I thought you were saying pick DeShawn with the 2nd pick which would more than likely mean we selected a SF-type with the first pick (at least I think so). In that case, Shandon wouldn't necessarily be able to play the SF because the rook would be getting a lot of time there.

------------------
    ?

9. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I'd say with our first pick, we're likely to get a big man....say, Jerome Moiso. I hope we're not stuck with Pryzbilla, that'd be awful. I really hope Swift is coming out....

------------------

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

One thing to consider in all this is that Orlando is facing over a $5m cap hit if they don't trade their 3 first rounders this year. If they trade down from the #3, they are still facing close to $3.5m

Would you do that if you were them? I thought they wanted to conserve cap space. Isn't that what everyone has been saying.

So, yes this trade sounds like it could be a straight trade for picks compared to the Popeye trade for the #4 or #3. I don't think we are in the best bargaining situation for that.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited May 07, 2000).]

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I hope you are not saying if Martin or Swift was available it would be stupid to pick them because you already have a PF. Brand or no Brand. In my book, you pick those guys, NO Question!

Look at it this way: You can always trade Brand later if he doesn't produce like Martin. hehehe

12. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

hp-Well...I am. Martin would be a poor choice, and I think someone said that Martin said he wouldn't play there because of Brand. Martin doesn't have the size to play center (some say he doesn't even have the size to play PF), and neither does Brand, and neither of them can play the wing. Stromile could maybe be converted into a KG type of SF, but why put a shotblocker on the wing? Fizer "allegedly" has an outside shot (and a 3 point shot according to some) but I see him far from an ideal SF.

Passing over MJ cause you have Drexler is different. MJ had great handles, and could've easily played PG, and Drexler was a tall 6'7'' and could've easily played SF. Neither were slouches defensively.

On second thought If Martin said that, Bulls, Jabba the Krause, PLEASE pick him. Who said lightning doesn't strike twice?

2000-2012 Rockets: Feeding off other team's disgruntled lottery picks!!

------------------

13. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I'm tentative right now on some pick trading till 2 (well, 3) things happen:
    1. The lottery is decided-What if Orlando doesn't get #3? Or what if the Rockets win it?
    2. The underclassmen declare, specifically Mihm and Swift.

If Mihm and/or Swift don't declare, I'd prefer to stay put (unless we moved up to get Kenyon Martin).

They way I see it, as long as Chicago is in the top 3, they'll pick Mihm or MAYBE Miles. It'd be stupid for them to pick Martin or Swift, as neither can play center, and lack the skills to play SF (they're both successful rebounders...why waste them on the perimeter?). If KMart goes #1, and Mihm went #2, if Swift didn't come out, who do we draft? Fizer? Umm....no thanks. Swift is the key person to making this draft strong or weak. Should he not come out, I'd prefer to draft Oyededji at #9 as our PF.

How about a trade that went like this (if the lottery has no surprises)? KT, #9, finished responsibility to owed pick to Houston, future first rounder, for Doleac, #3, #13? That seems like an interesting deal...it'd leave the Magic with KT, #9, and #10, and a future first rounder for the #3 (assuming Swift came out), the #13 (could be Stevenson, we could also get Mason, Peterson, Richardson here), and Doleac. They save a lot of cap out of it....KT is slightly less than Doleac, no longer have to pay a #13, and a #3.

------------------