1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Harden a top 5 player in the league?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Jul 26, 2016.

?

Is Harden a top 5 player in the league?

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Everyone knows it was defense and turnovers

2. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

So which one is it? Or is this like a troll putanesca pasta where everything is thrown in there so that hopefully at least 1 thing will trigger?

1 person likes this.
  3. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Durant still played a quarter of that season very well.... It doesn't pale in comparison.... Harden was already the sole legit ball handler, playmaker, and shot creator on his team.... He just lost a lot of finishers and dudes all down the lineup... Now Russ was forced to be that too without KD.

He regressed on D... The whole team did for many reasons that go beyond simply Harden.
    He was better in multiple aspects offensively... He was better at the rim and from mid-range than he was in 14-15.

Kawhi is following not leading.. following the leadership of great HOF vets and a great coach.

Hardens "toxic leadership" just over a season ago led them to a 2 seed and WCF in a season riddled with injuries and adversity.

The best perimeter leaders can lead and direct an offense... Kawhi can't do that... He's not a creator... He's the recipient.

When the old dudes eventually retire we'll see how he he does as a true #1.

4. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Exactly

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I thought Harden took a significant step backward on defense last year from '15. In '15 he was at least average if not solid, he minimized his mental lapses and gave a lot more effort on that end, as did the rest of the team.

For me at least, the difference in Harden's defensive game was night and day compared to '15, which is why most no longer consider him top 5 (I consider him top 7ish based off last year, and I expect him to be top 5 again next year, at least I hope).

6. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

I didn't know the Harden delusioners couldn't read lmao

God bless these delusions hearts

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yeah, it does. You really should give up on this tangent. You can't win. You're trying to equate missed games from DMo (11), Dwight (41), and Beverley (26) to Durant (55) and Ibaka (18). :rolleyes:

So his 2 pointers went up a few percentage points while his 3 pointers declined a few percentage points. Overall, his offensive skillset in 2016 was the same as 2015. In other words, he didn't add to his game in 2016. And since he regressed on D, then it's fair to say that as a complete player, Harden regressed from 2015 to 2016.

Coaching only takes you so far. At the end of the day, its the players on the court who are deciding the games. Leonard led the team in scoring and was the DPOY. If you had to pick a leader from that team, it'd be Leonard.

And in this past season, he came into the season out of shape, feuded with his co-star, and regressed even further on defense. Unfortunately, we live in a "what've you done for me lately" world. Look at Steph Curry. He was the MVP and had one of the greatest seasons of all time, but people tend to focus on his failures in the playoffs.

Nope, wrong again. He's very capable of creating his own shot. He's actually developed a very decent post game.

8. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Miserables gon' miserable.

Damn Harden for not beating the Warriors with 2 missing starters and Dwight with a torn meniscus. Definitely all his fault. What a choker. Or sorry, quitter. Whatever, same thing I guess in some universe I'm sure.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol some posts here...

Come back when Westbrook, Durant, Curry or Leonard can lead Dorsey, D.Mo, Ariza and Terry to the 2nd best record in the league playing in one of the hardest division and conference (if not THE hardest) in the last 20 years.

1 person likes this.
  10. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Also like 60 from Jones who was playing well prior.... Harden had more time missed by his starters than any other player in the league.... Numerous lineup combinations.

Terry, Black, and Dorsey got significant starters minutes... And he just kept them winning... No it doesn't pale in comparison since the Rockets were the 2 seed and went to the WCF and OKC missed the playoffs entirely. LOL

When the coach is Pop... It can take you pretty far.
    When the players are Duncan, Parker, Ginobli.. class HOFs and other experienced vets... That leadership can really help a young player... He's following their direction.

That's not the best logic.... Is Curry the leader of the Warriors? Heck was the MVP and scoring leader. NO.

It's Draymond Green. :rolleyes:

Look at Kawhi in that series against OKC then and apply perspective. He's capable.... He's not great at it... Has a solid post game and great mid-range shot... And when I say lead and direct an offense that doesn't pertain to himself... But the team... That's not Kawhi....

He's the recipient of others creating offense typically. Even his 3P shooting that was a career high... 86% of his 3s were catch and shoot opportunities created for him. That's in large benefit to the system and personnel around him.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Your a explanation as to why Harden succeeded when Westbrook & Davis did not does not hold water. That Rockets team was just as injured as that Thunders team. The Rockets starting line up was in a state of constant flux with only Harden and Ariza being reliably healthy.

So no sir, those players have not proven what Harden has proven. Let me know when they do. Until then it's a closed case, they are not in the same class as Harden.

12. choujie

choujie Member

Among stars, top 5 offensively, bottom 5 defensively.

So overall no.

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Tip jar wager? $20? We can ask the folks at spurstalk.

14. MystikArkitect

15. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

What has greater value from a perimeter player? Offense or defense?

OFFENSE.... significantly so.

Why? This should be obvious to most, but apparently not.

I've said this before many times...

So I'll explain further...

Tony Allen has been an elite defender for years.
    He's also a sub-par offensive player...
    James has been an elite offensive player for years...
    He was also a sub par defender this past year... some would say he plays NO DEFENSE.

Is Tony Allen as good a player as James Harden? NO
    Is it close? NO.... not whatsoever.

Harden is in consideration for top 5.... TA wouldn't be in anyone's top 30.

To be over Harden you have to be either:

A superior offensive player.

Or

An elite defender whose just AS good offensively.

Anything less is an inferior player to Harden.

So yes James is a top five player.

As I said earlier.... There aren't five players in the NBA who fit that criteria and there aren't five players in the NBA elite @ as many aspects of ball as James Harden.

I'll say it again....

Elite scorer
    Elite driver
    Elite finisher
    Elite foul drawer
    Elite free throw shooter
    Elite ball handler
    Elite playmaker

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Right?

Like...imagine claiming to be a Rockets fan, and then DESPISING one of the best players to ever play for the Rockets. Must really be a tough way to go about things.

Oh well. Can't relate!

17. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

These dudes need to put some respek on these man's name...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vZjupo6cF28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:eek:

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I can understand if the harden haters are not true rockets fans

You all act like we have a solid team outside of harden and he's dragging the whole team down

It's actually the opposite

This team without harden roster and coaching staff and all if compared to other teams without their best player is bottom 3 at best

He gives his all every night scoring, playmaking, attacking the rim with contact, getting hacked, rebounding, passing at lebron levels, and for almost 40 minutes a game and you arm chair generals cry and whine about a missed defensive assignment.

If you wanna blame someone, blame morey for being lazy not drafting a some who could have helped sooner and giving ridiculous contracts to pbev and brewer. D12 for not wanting to play PnR and quitting on the team. Dmos back for not healing fast enough. Ariza and pbev for not shooting well and losing a step defensively. Lawson for being alcoholic. And everyone else from brewer, mcdaniels, terry, tjones to Mchale and Jb were basically useless and clueless.

Btw, does anyone have a video compililation of how bad hardens defense is while playing on team usa?

#178 vlaurelio, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  19. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I was extremely disappointed in him this past season, but there's no beating around the bush here. He's top 5 with curry, Durant, lebron, and WB.

20. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Member

So what? 92% of Klay Thompson's threes were catch and shoot. Most all high percentage three point shooters get their shots off assists, its just the nature of the 3 pointer. If making contested threes off the dribble at a high percentage is your gauge then Curry is the only great 3 point shooter in the league.