1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lets talk Aggie BBall (sigh)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Ziggy, Jan 19, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Last year Sloan was a breath of fresh air off the bench. Played with passion, strength, added athleticism. I had high expectations.

Now... He thinks he is better than he is. Rushes shots, rushes the offense, has no court vision, doesn't make anyone better, turns it over, inconsistent shooting. His once healthy aggressiveness has turned against him.

Turgeon has lost the defensive intensity we were built upon. The offense is ugly (reminds me of Adelman's expectations) and now we are dropping games. No biggie. But the way we lose is not acceptable.

Kirk isn't being utilized.

This team IMO isn't going far in the tourney. We can beat Texas, maybe Kansas at home. But not going to do much damage until next season when we get Dash at PG.

This is a guards game.

Gillispie had us in close games against weaker opponents. But that was his defensive emphasis skewing the score. Turgeon is the opposite letting weaker opposition blow us out of the arena.

Turgeon looks like a turkey.

Our posts aren't powerful and commanding in the post. They are clumsy, have bad hands, loose sight of the ball, don't lead, and put up cumbersome moves/shots. Ugly.

2. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

The Tech game was terrible. The only time I saw the Aggies play with any real passion was the first 10 minutes of the second half when we brought the lead back down to single digits.

But to be fair, I felt there were a lot of bad calls against the Aggies. Enough that it convinced them to stop playing aggressive. But to blame that game on the refs is just silly. Even if the Aggies had all the right calls, it would have still be a struggle to pull the game out, and that shouldn't happen to a top ten team.

The Aggies are going to struggle through a lot of games this year, and it definitely doesn't get any better in the coming weeks.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Not just 2 losses in a row...2 a**kickings in a row. That's going to be a huge jump down the rankings for A&M. I didn't watch either game. What happened to this team?

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Exactly. Losses are fine. But TAMU got it handed to them like they have no business being ranked! What happened to the team? No PG. Coaching decline, lack of defensive intensity...

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Sucks for aggy but it was just a matter of time before KSU with Beasley was going to beat down someone good - look at the schedule that they have played already. Hopefully, they can build off this win and finish up in the top 3 of the conference (they being KSU).

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Its not about getting beat. I predicted KSU win the Big 12 tourney before the season started actually. Its how we got beat but raises questions.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

In watching that game, it was painfully obvious that there was no backcourt leadership. Acie Law was obviously more than just his points per game average. Sloan looks like he has the potential to be good but he hasn't put it together yet.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You guys need to worry about beating Tech for once before you start assuming victories over UT. Swept the Ags last year too!

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You need to do your homework before you post incorrect info. Y'all haven't swept anything in years. Worry about winning at Reed arena... It just ain't happening. I won't even bring up the recent football matchups.

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The problem seems to me that we (A&M) are getting beaten at being physical. Hard to believe with 7 guys over 6'9", but every time we play a physical team, bad things happen. Also, you are right. Sloan must get better at running a halfcourt set. It seems as though the offense has no structure, and they are getting flustered and taking really bad shots.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think he was referring to TT sweeping A&M last year.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Yeah, sorry for not making that clear. Guns up. I'd trash talk UT too, but don't have much to back that up with. I don't think you want to talk football vs. Tech though Ziggy! :p

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't wanna talk anything against Tech. Thorn in my side for way too long.

14. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Member

College basketball is a guard's game, and that's why your team has no chance at beating Texas or Kansas. It's also why your team could be one and done in the tourney.

I still don't even know how A&M is even ranked. They are 42nd in RPI, have the 150th best strength of schedule, and they don't have any true road wins to speak of. In fact, they were blown out in all their true road games.

Just hope that Baylor doesn't beat you guys at home. They have good guards.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

My cousins go to A&M and got us good seats for this game. Baylor is 25th in the AP poll. :eek: We are coming up !

16. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

I am an Aggie, class of '07. The bolded will not happen.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I still think it could happen. Actually I guarantee we win one of those two games I mentioned. Still not looking good though.

18. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I'm not sure this season would have been any better under Gillispie. The guards are a big part of the problem, and they would be the same guards under Gillispie.

I think this team will be fine in the long term under Turgeon. This season is not looking good though.

19. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Man, A&M basketball has come a long way if you guys consider a top 20 ranked team as a disappointment. Sure it looks like A&M was severely overrated at #9 and probably still is. But they'd have to completely fall apart at this point to not make the ncaa tournament. Once there you guys have enough talent to beat just about anybody.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

'What's going on? That's not Texas A&M basketball,'"- Acie Law on Aggie defense
    Thanks Turgeon... Giving up defense for motion. Whats with coaches and the frikkkkkin motion offense anyways.