1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glen Davis Wants to Play in the NFL

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Lil Pun, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=4625777

Glen "Big Baby" Davis has no regrets about choosing basketball over football. That's because he's achieved success and a championship with the Boston Celtics -- and also because he doesn't believe his days on the football field are over.

Davis, the Celtics' 6-foot-9, 290-pound forward, said he eventually wants to play in the NFL.

"I will try it," said Davis, who's on the injured list for six weeks with a broken right thumb sustained in a fight. "When I become an All-Star in the NBA, when I become a great player in the NBA, then I'll try football. One of my dreams has always been to play football."

Davis was a terrific two-way football player at University Laboratory High School in Baton Rouge, La., starring at defensive end, defensive tackle and tailback. But he chose to hang up his cleats and accept a basketball scholarship to LSU, where he became an All-American.

"I definitely could have made it to the NFL," Davis said.

He doesn't have a specific position in mind in the NFL.

"It don't matter," he said. "I just want to play."

Davis is now in his third season with the Celtics. He averaged just 7 points and 4 rebounds per game as a reserve last season, but while replacing Kevin Garnett as a starter in the playoffs, Davis pushed his averages to 15.8 points and 5.6 rebounds per game.

In August, Davis signed a two-year, $6 million contract with the Celtics. He doesn't foresee jumping to the NFL at the end of this contract because he doesn't think he'll reach his NBA goals by then.

"No, we've got too many other great players in front of me -- KG and Rasheed Wallace -- for that to happen," he said.

Davis found himself in hot water with the Celtics after breaking his thumb in an early-morning fight with a longtime friend just two days before the start of the regular season. He apologized to his teammates and was fined for the indiscretion, but was not suspended.

2. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Awesome, can't wait. :cool:

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What a coincidence! I also intend to join the NFL after I become an NBA All-Star. I wonder which of us will get to the NFL first.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Something tells me that the Patriots aren't waiting eagerly by the phone for Davis' agent to call

5. McMingDynasty

McMingDynasty Contributing Member

Too soft for football

6. young truth

young truth Member

he might cry if he gets sacked or if his qb screams loud when calling out the play

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

[​IMG]

Mario Williams with the swim move!

8. sbyang

sbyang Member

I bet Belichick would let him come to training camp as a tight end and give him a year on the practice squad. The question is whether he's willing to take that huge paycut and loss in job security.