1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When will Taylor replace Griffin in the starting lineup?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by A-Train, Mar 13, 2003.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

It's clear that his confidence goes down as Taylor's minutes continue to rise. Now, Taylor is even starting to get the big rebounds, leaving Griffin's effectiveness strictly to the defensive end.

I think that Griffin will start the last two games of the homestand, but Rudy will put Taylor in the starting lineup for the West Coast roadie to help prevent the slow starts that have become commonplace for the Rockets on the road, bringing in Griffin for defensive purposes...

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I figure it doesn't matter who starts the games, it's who finishes the games and MoT finishes the games. That being said, MoT and Rice(did I say that) should start so we have our best players on the court together as much as possible.

3. Live

Live Member

Rice should start?

Well, guess who had a good game last night.

4. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I think, if MoT is effective coming off the bench, leave it alone. EG seems to be playing well right now. Keep bringing MoT and Rice in for instant offense.

5. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

This is right on, Rudy is using these guys to keep the scoring going. When the offense is having trouble, and there will always be those stretches during a game, Rudy will send in Rice or MoT to keep the scoring going. If these guys are in and the scoring goes south there is nobody on the bench who is going to be any help.

6. supermagichero

At least, Talyor should start before Griffin.

7. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

No changes should be made with the lineup. While MoT has been better than expected, even doing damage on the boards, the fact remains that he cannot give you what EG does and we need what EG does. They all have an important part to play and I like MoT and Rice's competitve advantage over the reserves than they do over starters if they do have any.

What should we do then? Well I think we basically have MoT and Rice where we need them. The only remaining critical thing to get done is to install a commitment to the uptempo game. Both EG and Posey, especially Posey, will absolutely flourish, exponentially, if we do that. Easy buckets are there for the taking and I would love for Rudy to release the dogs. You have Mobley, Francis, EG, Posey, Moochie, Hawkins, Tmo to constantly force the action. I cannot think of a better way to boost our scoring average than that.

Of course an uptempo game will take more out of players like Mobley and Francis who are playing way too many minutes. What to do? First reduce their minutes by playing more players and would therefore slack off of defense and fighting through picks and screens; and second change the defensive strategy. Rudy has a habit, on defense, of taking away something from the offense and leaving them with something, like open outside shots. I can understand that when you are playing teams with dominant inside players but that is not the case with the Clippers. No Candy, no Brand. So why leave so many players with open shots. We almost lost the game due to that nonsense. What it basically does is put us in a dog fight when they hit those shots and we have to then play Mobes and SF more. The Clippers have our number simply because we inappropriately prepare for them all the time.

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I saw the lineup last night I've been wanting to see:
    Steve
    Cat
    Yao
    Rice
    MoT

With Griff starting, MoT doesn't play alongside Yao very often. Then w/ Rice's injury, his playing time is just now coming around.

Last night we saw that lineup for extended minutes, I think probably the most they've played together in a game.

It was nice to see because any one of them is capable of taking over a game offensively. I guess the down side is exactly what we saw where we couldn't hold the Clips to under 59% FG. The fact that we managed to win the game anyway is amazing.

If we can pick up our D, I'm all for MoT starting. At the very least, get him some more minutes with our starters. I hated when MoT would only play when Steve/Cat/Yao are on the bench.

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I completely agree with this starting line-up. We continue to dig ourselves a hole with Posey and EG starting quarters only to have Mo and Rice and the other unit to try to bail us out. Last night we lucked out, though it took a ton more energy than it should have to beat the Clippers because we kept them around so long. It would be better to start our best line-up, try to get a lead, then insert Posey, EG, & Cato in a defensive and up-tempo second unit after the other team is worn and going to their bench.

10. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

just leave mo in hes doing very good for us off the bench hes instat offense we need a person like that to get us going when we arent scoring

11. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

He should allready start. Mo Taylor is underrated on this team, and people seem to forget he was a big part of that 45 win season of 2 years ago. I wish he never got hurt, but he is still playing great. At this point I think he is better than Griffin and he is only 26.

12. Toast

Toast Member

What you are describing is the lineup that's been closing both halves for quite some time now. If you want to see this lineup, just tune into the 2nd half with about 6 and a half minutes or so to go, and you'll get it. Then tune in again in the 4th with 4-6 minutes to go, and you'll see it again. This won't be our starting line-up, but it IS our finishing line-up.

I continue to believe our starting line-up should be
    Yao
    MoT
    Rice
    Posey
    Francis

Then, if/when the offense struggles, Cat comes in to replace either Rice or Posey. When the opposing team subs for their starting PF, let Griffin get his education. Cato plays 12-15 minutes as the backup C. Also, let Cat stay extended minutes, even seeing some time at the point to give Stevie a rest. I think Rudy's been playing Cat too much; he played every minute in an overtime game last night!

But regardless, finish the halves with
    Yao
    MoT
    Rice
    Cat
    Francis

What you have there, fellas, is an 8 man rotation.

13. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I completely agree with DearRock, the uptempo game would definitely help out the Rocks offense. In the last Dallas game the Rocks played the first quarter in an uptempo style and just jumped all over the Mavs, but later the team couldn't get out and run and Dallas just swolled the Rocks up,
    with Posey(strictly a fast break kinda guy) and Cat in the starting lineup, we have two end to end players that would thrive in an uptempo style, the problem is when SF gets the ball in the back court he usually jogs it up court or does his little skip to my lou impersonation while dribbling up court, and he slows the game down, not allowing the team to get out and beat the other team down the floor, and if SF gave a little less attention to rebounding and let Griffin/Yao take care of it he could leak out a little and recieve outlet passes on the move, Yao will be a great outlet passer if given the chance, so why not try and push the tempo early in games,
    the one thing that would make Rudy do is substitute more players, and we all know that thinking on his feet is not one of Rudy's strong points, but he should know that Tmo and Hawkins could handle 10 mins a game and possibly do well in an uptempo style,
    either way, let's hope Sactown takes it to Phoenix tonight!

14. Khal80

Khal80 Contributing Member

i think MoT and Yao compliment each other extremely well and play on the same page,,see that with Rice and Yao as well,,but

If you replace griffen now, that might be an extrmem negative impact on his "young and impressionable" mind and could lose the small amount of confidence he has built up going into the playoffs,,,,,

15. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

yeah taylor played a good game against the clips last night. i never seen mo taylor play this agressive since............ um never. until last night.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why don't we run a zone?

You can hide EG in a zone, as well as Rice...and Posey would be twice as effective in playing the passing lanes.

Rudy confounds me with his too slow to adapt policies.

Taylor is better then EG, and Rudy will always play the better player more....

EG needs to play hard, or he will be sitting a lot more.

DD

17. RocketFan4ever

RocketFan4ever Contributing Member

I just want to say that I started this exact same thread last week and got like one reply...and it was a smart ass one:mad: With MoT starting we may not have that spark from the bench...but with MoT starting we may not need a spark from the bench....Grif isnt playing well...he just isnt playing real bad...I was at last nights game and as the clips were taking control late in the 1st as every team seems to do...Rudy went with Mo earlier than usual and stopped the bleeding...bottom line BENCH GRIF START MO

18. RocketFan4ever

RocketFan4ever Contributing Member

Whats more important Grifs precious mind or our first post season birth in 4 years!!!!!

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I dont' care who starts as long as MoT gets starter minutes and finishes the game.

Griff can have his token starting position to go along with bench player minutes if he wants.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The problem with having both Taylor and Rice start is that we wont have any offense coming off the bench. There needs to be a scorer that comes in when a starter exits.