1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PAWN SHOPS: Ever bought anything there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Sep 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have brought some random stuff from a pawn shop
    here and there.
    for the most part it has been ok?

Any one ever buy anything significant like a computer?
    Is it worth it? [They always seemed over priced for what they offer
    but
    if you don't know anything about computers. . you would get taken]

Not just computers though . . anything?

Rocket RIver

2. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I buy a lot of sound and light equipment from pawn shops, usually I get quite a discount on mostly unused stuff. A friend of mine bought a mixer a few months back for $400 and it was "new car smell" new. He turned it around on ebay and got $600 for it.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Used, clean, never-scratched DVDs at the one on Westheimer near Kirkwood are $5, 5/$20. The owner gives me a discount because I have bought so many there. That's about the only thing I buy... but later I will look for a set of golf clubs for cheap there, maybe I will begin to like golf.

Nice thread, Río. Oomp, no need to quote the first post when you're the 2nd. :D

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I bought a Texas Tech class ring at one a couple of months back. Good times.

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I used to when I was in H.S. but since Ebay came around I've never really had any reason to go to one

6. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I've always wondered if you could get camera gear there at a decent price.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Did you get a discount because of the glitter?

8. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I used to work at a pawn shop, word of advice, dont but anything from there, unless you can get a 48 hour warranty or something. most of the **** we had was worthless, none of it worked but people didnt know. unless ur buying tools or dvds/games, dont bother.

9. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Back in the day, you could find really cool music gear in pawn shops. I remember one near my parents home (in Kingwood) had 2-3 old Sunn tube amps for around $150.00 each (they'd go for 3-4X that on eBay today). I found an original Big Muff pedal for $30.00 which I eventually traded for another pedal priced at $150.00. I also got a Marshall cab for $300.00.

eBay has really killed pawn shops for music gear - I almost never see anything worthwhile in them anymore, and even if I do, it's now overpriced.

10. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I hate the idea of pawn shops because they encourage robbery. Half of the goods there are probably stolen.

11. Toast

Toast Member

Word of advice: don't buy electronics from a pawn shop.

Back in the college days, whenever a TV was on the fritz or a Sega Genesis stopped working (probably due to it being chunked across the room), we'd just sell it to the pawn shop for beer money.

I'm sure we weren't the only ones who would pawn worthless junk.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I know. . .
    You only have to have it work for like 2 minutes

I have gotten some DVDs and some minor electronics
    [I think I got a TI 84 in college]

I swing through the local one and find something
    but alot of stuff is over priced

Computers I could build for 150 are being sold for like 800

Rocket River

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

lol, wow. you can get a brand new pc/monitor/printer/logitech cam for less than 400 these days.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The guitar player I work with walked in to rehearsal last night with an overdrive pedal that normally costs $225 he found at a pawn shop on Washington for $20. It was missing the feet on the bottom, but it sounded amazing.

The first "real" amp I ever bought, I got from a pawn shop. I've bought basses and guitars there. I used to, on a regular basis, take a day and hit 10 or 15 pawn shops looking for music gear. I have a friend who has bought a ton of stuff from them.

Geddy Lee from Rush found his vintage Fender J-Bass in a pawn shop somewhere in the midwest (Cleveland?) for $200.

So, yeah, it can be worth it.

15. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Definately -

Golf Clubs- I have gotten steals on clubs- $200.00 Calloway wood for $15.00
    Nice set of clubs with bag for $35.00- Graphite shafts, tour grips-good clubs
    The Pawn shop I go to is clueless about some things for some reason, I even feel guilty buying there at times.

Also I just bought a really nice surfboard for $250.00 that sells for $500.00 new and it is in perfect condition.

I don't take risks at the pawn shop.
    You have to know what you are doing to score a good deal.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Hey, GRENDAL, did you ever BID at a pawn shop? ;) Better yet, do you win EVERYTHING you bid on at eBay? :cool:
    I agree with this. When I 'found' the Back to the Future trilogy for 6 bucks (no scratches, I tell you), I asked the dude: "How do you dudes get such great DVDs? This is NICE!" "Times are hard sometimes, man...", he answered. Yeah, right. They never want to admit it.

17. lpbman

lpbman Member

I used to work across the street from one and from what I could tell it was mostly junk.

I picked up a VCR because I only have like 2 movies on VHS and didn't want to buy a new one. I think it worked for a month. Oh and I did pick through a bucket of assorted sockets and found all the large Craftsman stuff. (1/2 inch and deep) That turned out to be a pretty good deal for $.50 each.
    You'd have a hard time convincing me to buy something expensive and electronic from a pawn shop. It's either going to be broken, overpriced, or stolen.
    Still, if you like to haggle, this is your place.

18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I bought one of my guitars from a pawn shop, but sweet deals on guitars in pawn shops are very few and very far between. You almost have to stumble upon it.

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I bought an older Tag Heuer watch that needed some serious cleaning for $60 from a pawn shop. I've had it for about 5 years.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A few years ago when I was buying lots of musical equipment I bought some nice stuff at pawn shops - a vintage 100 watt Ampeg head, a funky Ovation Bass from the 70's, and a vintage Tube Screamer come to mind. In order to find stuff, however, you have to put in alot of time going from shop to shop, and most of the good stuff comes from the out of the way ratholes in very bad neighborhoods.

You can sometimes get good deals, but to do so regularly requires alot of time and effort.