1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Video] Officiating in Rockets-Spurs Game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Re-watched the game. I put all the questionable calls (and some correct calls) in this video.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XbDBgWzJwEg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some thoughts...

The foul on Bonner's three (2:07 mark): Looks like it was a foul, but I'm disappointed that the always reliable Fox Sports Houston did not air a replay there. From the standard live cam, it does look like Martin got Bonner. Stupid foul.

Parker loses ball out of bounds (1:43 mark): This too looks like the correct call. What do you think? The Rockets were upset, claiming the ball went off Tony Parker's knee. It didn't. Lowry swiped it and though you can debate that Parker touched it last, that call is usually made the way it was. Parker's ballet-slash-shot-out-of-a-cannon move after the fact was funny.

Courtney Lee Charging Call (2:24 mark): I think they got it wrong, but it's not an easy call at all. I think Lee was at a disadvantage because he was a little out of control and was going up against four guys. Still think it was the wrong call ... one that went to the hometown team because it's probably a little easier.

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I hate Stern and his refs already as much as it is. I think the reason so many fans are not watching in the stands is directly related to officiating, the league and its star system, and the lack of respect the Rockets get as a organization in general. Its just hurting the league more with attendance of one of its markets.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I thought the officiating wasn't out of the ordinary; they aren't the reason we lost. There were questionable calls favoring both sides.

The Rockets played a pretty good game. There were some defensive mistakes made in the 4th quarter, and the Rockets need to be better at moving the ball to get good looks when the other team plays pressure D. Still, a good effort overall. Ultimately, the Spurs won mostly because they have Parker&Duncan and we don't.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

However how do they explain away the Rocket near the bottom in free throws this year? Its not like one rule should effect this one particular team to this extreme degree unless they are instructed to concentrate on this team more so than last year.

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Jus Sterns way of tryiing to 'convince' the Rockets to pony up for Kamen... whole thing just reaks of conflict of interest...

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think the reduction in free throws can be mostly attributed to Kevin Martin not getting the same calls and Scola not being as productive in the post.

7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

You would think that. However even Lowry does not get calls in his most productive year. A complete turn around of free throws actually reeks of officials being instructed personally on certain players and teams to watch out for.

8. cod

cod Member

There was a stutter, slight pause from Lee stepping on the defender's foot just before he made contact.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought the game was well called.

The only non-whistle I have issue with was Dragic getting slapped in the face. Everything else was pretty damn close...

Lowry and Lee were both completely out of control, imo.

10. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

All Tim Duncan had to do was make a move towards the basket and scream something out loud and he got to go to the line.

11. MONON

MONON Member

Doesn't make any difference if you're out of control or not. The rule states that you can't draw a charge if you're in the restricted area and that was the case. Yet we are still called for the charge.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Well, if no foul was called, it was a bucket anyways. Rockets' bigs were just outclassed in the post.

Also, as much as I love Lee's talent, I hate his decision-making. Crunch time, Spurs turnover, down 2, Lee goes 1 on 2 in the fast break because he's so good at that and he has a numbers advantage? :mad:

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I can see why some fans would be upset, but looks like most of the calls came in the 4th...it was a crucial stretch, but the team lost a 19 point lead well before that and shot themselves in the foot with martin clearly fouling bonner and Lee going 1 on 4. It just comes down to playing against a veteran team that knows how to take advantage of everything. Bottom line is, like Morey said, great teams don't play close games. You're not going to get respect (calls) by losing large leads. The game isn't always fair, but it also isn't new, they should know what to expect and how to deal with it.

As far the drop in calls/free throws...we were blowing the flopping game out the water for a while, sure we drew a lot of legit fouls, but also fabricated a lot of them. It wasn't going to last forever. You've got to just go out and play ball and pick the spots where you can draw fouls. The rockets would instead go out and play a fouling game and pick the spots where they could just play ball.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the eyes of mortal refs, it certainly makes a difference If you are out of control.

Both of those possessions we should have pulled the ball out and got a good look. The refs were fine...

15. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Who ever thinks the league is out to get the Rockets should just kill themselves.

16. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

There's no question Parker was the last one to touch it on that replay. Ball clearly went off his hand and went out of bounds.

Fast play though, and tough to call in real time.

As far as the Lee play goes, I don't think it was a charge, but Lee was clearly out of control. Tough call to swallow, but I can see why the ref went that way with it.

17. devil_blue

devil_blue Member

Are commentators generally allowed to bash referees the way that Worrell did at the end of the game? Pretty sure you can't chalk up the loss tonight straight up to those calls.

18. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I am not one to usually point the finger at the refs, but on more than one occasion this season I have to say that the whistle blowers have handed momentum to the opposition team. Today was atrocious, really bad.

It reeks of the Dallas playoff scandal which cost us the series and me a television.

19. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

All of those calls look correct to me except for Dragic getting obviously hit in the face. I really can't stand when Bill or Matt claim we got "absolutely hammered" when we really should just be a little tougher.

20. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

I have never seen someone reach so far as this right here. I've never heard anyone imply/mention/hint/suggest at any point ever that they'd rather not go to the game "because of the officials" People don't attend Rockets game because of money and or lack of an exciting team.