1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Renting a Car To Go Out of Town..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bladeage, Jul 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I don't know if anyone here has any experience with renting cars but I could use a little help. I'm going to pickup my friend PA next week. She is paying for the trip, but she wants me to find a car to rent and drive up there. Anyone know a good company for that. That isn't going to charge me a ****load? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. ling ling

ling ling Member

where are you at?

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Try priceline or expedia.

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Often times its cheaper to rent for a week than a few days. Also, if you do a week rental, be careful if you turn it in early, as they may charge you the daily rates.

5. bladeage

I'm in Houston.

I'll take a look at priceline and expedia thanks, I hadn't looked at those. I just tried Orbitz and it sucked.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

There's a local toyota rental place, you can google them. They have a 10 days for 7 days offer right now. I met a guy in Starbucks advertising for them up on 1960. You can get like a Toyota Camry for around $260 for the 10 days. That includes taxes and everything. I don't keep up with rental rates but $26 per day seems relatively cheap for a rent car.

7. gbrock33

gbrock33 Member

Expedia, book something ok, then when you go to pick it up ask for an upgrade for the same price.

BTW, Expedia usually only does reservations out of Airports. Not sure if thats an issue for you or not.

8. ling ling

ling ling Member

But, he's driving 2500 miles total.

9. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

One way ticket there and get a car

10. bladeage

So your suggestion is for me to fly there, and buy a car?

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Google 'rental car coupons'

Go to the Slickdeals and Fatwallet forums and do some searching.

I'm damn good at milking more out of companies and I've never gotten a free upgrade. Don't reserve less than what you want. Think about your arse in that seat for 2,500 miles...it may be worth an extra $20 a day for comfort vs economy.

On that note, it may be cheaper and certainly faster for you to fly there then drive.

Read the fine print.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Many rental car companies have unlimited mileage.

13. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Almost all car companies have unlimited mileage now so miles is not the problem. And in almost all cases, weekly rentals are cheaper than weekend. In your case, it might be better to buy a one way ticket, then rent a car up there and drive it down, and drop it off in houston.

14. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

no rent one