1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Red Neck

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Curly, Mar 23, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Curly

Curly Member

I would like to know why the term "Red Neck" used in a derogatory fashion is an acceptable term, and yet descriptive terms for any other racial/social/religious group is regarded as disrespectful or racist.

This is just for conversation and insite, nothing personal.

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Because most rednecks use racial slurs ... just a stereotype.

I know nobody here used it that way, because none of us here are stereotypical.

------------------
    Nice guys finish last ... and im surely not going to finish last!

3. Band Geek Mobster

I love the 3 stooges. nyuk nyuk

------------------
    Forget LHutz, Bob Rainey is by far the coolest poster in cc.net history!

4. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Heck most of my white friends use the term as a label for them. They want me to call them that. [​IMG] One of em even has a redneck card....

------------------
    Note: It was my cowhead. I started the cowhead craze, and my cowhead inspired Mooch to step up and bring us a victory. Thank you for your time. :D

5. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Because anyone can be a red neck... well sorta. One of the biggest red necks I know of is one of my most favorite sports personalities, Earl Campbell.

A red neck, to me, is someone who listens to country music, drives a pickup (usually old and beat up), wears cowboy hats and boots, and most likely dips (or chews). To me, they don't necessarily have to be racist (obviously with the Earl comment).

Also, some people are proud to be red necks and don't see it as a derogatory statement. Then again, some people do take offense to it. I personally wouldn't call someone that to their face, unless I knew they were proud to be a red neck.

We actually had a discussion about the word "red neck" many moons ago. The word actually is derived from (I think) the fact that people who drive pickup trucks get sunburned on the back of their necks, because there isn't anything blocking the sun back there.

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page