1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A. Smith, "94 Bulls would have beaten the 94 Rockets in that year's Finals"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JBIIRockets, Jun 5, 2002.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

This ego maniac said this tonight (6/4) on the Best Damn Sports Show Period. He said that if Pippen was not called for the phanton foul in Game 5 semis against the Knicks, the Bulls would have met the Rockets in the Finals AND BEATEN THEM!

Man, this guy is full of ****. I lost what little respect I had for him.

On this board and everywhere else in the NBA, it is usually debated whether or not The Rocket teams would have beaten the Jordan lead Bulls teams....yet Stephen A. Smith had the nerve to say that the Jordan-less Bulls would have beaten the Rockets, talk about being in the minority with that opinion.

That show is better off without that clueless idiot.

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Well, they didn't, and no amount of historical hypotheticals is going to take down the Championship banner that hangs in the Summit.

3. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

What's worse is to hear a Houstonian say it. God that drivers me insane.

4. carlit0

carlit0 Member

With Jordan, the Rockets would have still won the series.

5. tuus

tuus Member

woulda, shoulda, coulda..
    Rockets are '94 Champs, not Bulls

6. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

rockets would have swept them

7. Holden

Holden Member

yeah i think the rockets if they had got to the finals in 96 97 and 98. i think we would have beaten the bulls all three of those years. the matchups are in our favor. put me on tv and ill say that. smith is a one legged monkey.
    :(

8. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

I saw that. That was one of the most insulting ignorant comments I have ever heard.
    peace

9. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

From 94 on, we would have beaten the Bulls in the finals every year. We had every matchup except maybe shooting guard when they had MJ which we had a defensive stopper, Mario Elie at and with Dream in the lane, he wouldn't be able to drive like he did on the Jazz or Seatle. Horry would've been able to hold his own against Pippen.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You know, I complain about phantom calls. I sometimes hypothesize that a game or even a series would have gone another way had the call had been made differently. But, to hypothesize what would have happened in the next series? :rolleyes: And beyond even that, to hypothesize on what would have happened in a series that never occured 8 years ago? Now, that is a serious fixation. Not only is it a hypothetical, but it's ancient history.

Tomorrow, he'll tell us that if the refs had managed to call a phantom foul on Penny Hardaway when Jordan's pocket got picked, the Bulls would have beaten the Rockets for the championship in '95. :rolleyes:

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

If we're playing this game...

If Ralph Sampson hadn't been hurt, the Rockets would've won six titles in the 90's instead of the Bulls.:rolleyes:

12. Possum

Possum Member

Funny how people want to use phantom calls against the Bulls as an excuse for them not winning when it was phantom no calls against Jordan that won them a couple of their titles in the first place. Jordan, king of the push-off! :rolleyes: He was one of the most popular and greatest players of all time and he got a lot of calls his way because of it.

13. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Stephen A. Smith had the nerve to say that the Jordan-less Bulls would have beaten the Rockets, talk about being in the minority with that opinion.

Well I have 2 things to say to Mr Smith...

Let it go

Get over it

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Pippen would have eaten us alive...:rolleyes:

15. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

AMEN! I can't believe what little respect you guys have for Pippen after he personally carried us on his back to the 1999 NBA Championship. ;)

16. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

I think he's been hanging out way too much with MO T and Lamar... ;)

17. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Didn't we take the season series against you guys that year?

That's what I thought...

Hue, frickairn Hollins...

18. Axeman

Axeman Member

I'm laughing. The Rockets were clearly the best team in the league that year. But, whatever... You'll always have your drooling bandwagon idiots who just "play it safe" and pretend that the Bulls didn't <b>ACTUALLY</b> lose to the Knicks. I mean, let's be for real here.... If the Bulls <b>WERE</b> better than the Rockets:

1. They would have made it to the Finals.
    2. They would have beaten the Rockets.

Did either 1 or 2 happen? No. Case closed.

19. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Houston stepped up and took care of business in 1994. Chicago and Seattle (probably the overall best team in the NBA that year) couldn't.

And what "Shtephen A. Shmith" seems to be forgetting is that 1994 was a couple of years in the making. We didn't appear out of nowhere. Hell, I still think we had the best team in the league in 1993. I think we were better than Chicago and Phoenix. And I think we were better than Seattle too-- if Kenny Smith's jumper goes in, we beat the Sonics, whip up on Phoenix, and prevent Chicago from three-peating.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yeah but if Fran Blinebury had moved to Chicago in 1994, Sam Smith wouldn't have a job today. Bring that up to him.

Oh wait, this is some other S. Smith.....never mind.