1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To Everyone Who Thinks We Shouldn't Go After Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

First, one might argue that Melo isn't the best fit for our team as currently constructed. One might also argue that there are other priorities (coaching, defense, etc). I'm not arguing that those points aren't valid or have merit.

My argument is that if you just look at our current situation from a business or Cap/CBA management perspective, since 1) Melo is the ONLY Supermax FA this off season on the market that we know of 2) we can create close to max space this off season, it would be stupid not to try to acquire someone like Melo. My reasoning is this:

The highest valued assets in the economy that is the NBA are the rookie scale contract and the max level contract. They are valued highest because you get the most out of a player whose salary is artificially limited by the CBA. Because of that Melo has extraordinary value because he out plays the value of his contract. You might not agree, but all that matters is that a number of GM's in the NBA are willing to pay max money for him if they could, so that alone sets his value in this market.

Therefore if you can acquire a player like him without giving up much, you ALWAYS do it and worry about fit later. Acquiring better coaches, defensive players etc are FAR easier to do in the NBA market under the CBA. Acquiring him without giving up much allows you to attain one of the highest valued asset that is completely movable if it doesn't work out. So if Howard, Harden, Melo goes bust, it's far easier now to trade which ever one doesn't fit for the players that fit better. I can't stress this enough, you're getting an extremely valuable asset for almost nothing. You do that all day, every day.

Personally I'm not sure a Harden/Howard/Melo combination can work. BUT he's the only superstar max level player easily attainable right now. So unless we're talking about a LBJ or Bosh hitting the FA market, and unless you think Melo isn't worth the max to most GM's in this league after 4 years, going after Melo is a no brainer.

So in summary, if there's a supermax player in FA that even kind of fits, and we're are playing with close to max space, then it's makes a lot more sense to try to acquire such a player than to wait for a player to become available or trade more assets for a player that fits better that isn't as available.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Rockets should focus on signing Melo and then seriously consider trading Harden...but it won't happen.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, then focus on setting charges on the load bearing beams in Toyota Center, then focus on imploding the building.

2 people like this.
  4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Brb making a new thread to talk about how I agree with you ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Or just swap Melo for Harden ;)

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

This Harden Hater movement is gaining ground. Is he really that forgone on defense that he needs to be dealt? I don't see it. I think once you build a core like Howard and Harden you then focus on sharpening skills. If we open back up the revolving door of trades again we will be stuck in a holding pattern of next year.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't hate Harden. I've always had a problem with the difference in age and experience in most of our guys compared to Dwight. This isn't a case like with TD/manu and Kawhi. I wanted an older PG than Lin after we signed DH. I think Melo is right there with Howard. They both have failed enough to where they are more hungry than most and ready to just win. The young guys want to win, but still lack experience and are trying to figure out who they are.

I think Melo and harden are somewhat redundant and we'd be better off with just one. I'd rather have better shooters, defenders, etc. A third star would be great, but I'd prefer someone in a different mold.

I'm afraid by the time Harden and CP really settle into their own skin it'll be too late. THey could potentially take another year, maybe two. Dwight and Melo can't wait for that.

1 person likes this.
  8. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Why would they trade for an inferior player who is also a free agent?

Seriously, some of the posts on here are so devoid of thought, it makes you wonder why these people even bother posting.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Speaking of devoid of thought..you can't trade for a free agent. Obviously, I was referring to a sign and trade.

Melo being inferior is subjective. We're hoping Harden is going to get better, but that's not guaranteed.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not subjective, Harden is younger and a more efficient scorer, neither player plays any defense. No one would be foolish enough to trade Harden for Melo

11. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Its crazy how people are so ready to give up on a 24 year old rising star. How are people so impatient with a 24 year old two time all star and 1st team all NBA? The blasphemy....

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

How did that efficiency work against Portland?

Harden is great rising player, there's no denying that...but there are no guarantees as to how fast or how much he'll improve. A lot of his value is in what we hope he'll become. That potential is more valuable to a young up and coming team. For a team hoping to win rings now, i think Melo's value is comparable, at the very least.

Who's giving up? giving up would be letting him go for nothing or whatever, just to get him out. That's not the case here. I'm not impatient with his development, i'm impatient with how it relates to the team's immediate goals. How's that blasphemy? Howard is only here, for sure, for 3 more years. Maybe 2.

13. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Its no guarantee that any one can improve, but out of all the 24 years or younger players in the league, I think he has the best chance. Harden has all the gifts, but he needs to work on his consistency and defense.

You have to remember, he dramatically improved on something every summer. Last summer was his mid range jumper. Summer before that was being the focal point and being the best player on a team, and this man is only 24....

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How did Melo work against......oh that's right, his team didn't even make the playoffs. Melo isn't better than Harden now and he's not likely to get any better, Harden is still developing his game. Literally no sane person that knows basketball would pick Melo over Harden. No one.

1 person likes this.
  15. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

lol I hope Harden asks for a trade and we go back to the days of role players in our starting 5. The Harden hate is ridiculous, the dude is 25 years old for crying out loud.

1 person likes this.
  16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Not sure how Melo being on an inferior team helps show he's better than Harden...

Harden can be great during the season, and it means nothing, if he's not transferring that over to the playoffs. People may not agree, but IMO, Melo is more likely to know how to transfer his play because of his experience. Just because he didnt get a chance to show it this postseason doesn't automatically mean he would have failed.

Again, i'm not comparing the two and ignoring everything else. It's about who's ready to contribute more and with consistency in the playoffs. Not in 3 years, but now.

17. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I think getting Carmelo would actually benefit Harden. I think he would go from averaging 25 ppg and 6apg to about 22ppg and 8 or 9apg

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm not saying it could never work. i just wish the Rockets would explore that option, but I know they won't..

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Am I the only one getting that SNottie Quitten vibe off Melo?

Rocket River

20. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

So trade a 25 year old star player for a 30 year old who the Rockets could sign outright by getting rid of Lin and Asik? Yeah, smart. How are you not working in the league. The Nuggets got Randy Foye for a S&T'd Iguodala. The Cavaliers got a couple picks for a S&T'd Lebron. Obviously, Carmelo should be able to get a player who is younger, better, and costs less.

Seriously, just stop posting. It's embarrassing.