1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey sees players as humans not assets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bbllr3431, Aug 30, 2014.

1. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

omg that's racist!

2. StevieCrossover

if chandler parson was an asset, morey would have picked up parsons contract on his last year for cheap but decided to let him walk. now morey is human.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He also treats objects like women.

4. baubo

baubo Member

The San Antonio Spurs have had a core of 3 stars in place for over a decade. Care to guess how much they value their role players beyond the big 3 over the years?

If you're curious, I suggest you look up their roster from year to year, then come back and tell us how much Gregg Popovich thinks of "stability."

5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Seriously....No offense Carl, but you don't know what you're talking about. You're simply speculating. You don't know how players feel, because you aren't one. Pretending to understand how they react to situations is ridiculous. None of us know. We aren't in that situation. We can't assume that we would feel a certain way if we were in the business.

The fact is, it's a business. If these players are butt-hurt they are being discussed in trade scenarios, they need to find a new job or grow up. If they wanted stability, they should have picked a different profession.

I think you and certain members of the sports media are making this out to be a much bigger deal that it actually is. Players don't want to be traded, naturally, but I don't think they fear coming to Houston because they could be traded -- that's the case EVERYWHERE. Play well and someone might want you and pay to get you. Play poorly and your team may toss you for something newer and sparkly. Again -- don't like it? Get another job.

6. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

you forgot, drafted White when nobody else would

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

1. The NBA is one big company, not 30 smaller companies. It is a company with 30 franchises in business terms. But for the players, it is like a company with 30 departments. You get traded like you are re-assigned to a different department that is located in another city. If you don't like it, you can quit and go to another company (e.g. Euroleague) or flip burgers at McDonald's. Their leverage of going to the "department" they like is their own talent. If you are a superstar, you can dictate where you want to go. If not, at least you get the guaranteed money which is unheard of in 99% of jobs.

2. I used to believe that once Morey got the star players down, he will calm down on his flipping assets act. I don't think I believe that now. When we got Harden, he said that we needed another star, but we could afford to be a little more choosy. Then we got Howard, and he said we still needed another star to contend. I wonder what he would say if we got the proverbial third star. I now think that Morey is just insatiable in upgrading "assets" whether on the role player level or the star level.

1 person likes this.
  8. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

This.

Outside the big three in San Antonio, there is a ton of personnel turnover.

9. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

Popovic still preaches 'stability'. There have been numerous incidents in the past where he at least pretended he was unhappy with trades / trade rumors. I'm just saying, it might not be on him.

10. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

How could it not be on him though? Correct me if I'm wrong but Pop is the GM of the Spurs and the Coach. He makes personnel decisions.

11. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

That's why I slanted the title of this thread so much. I feel as if this sentiment of Morey will screw us over in the future. If he builds up this reputation as uncaring, even if untrue, it could hurt us in the FA game.

That's why I think Cuban comes out and bashes us publicly for not understanding. That a-hole tried to swing for the fences too and missed. Now he's trying to sour the taste of Houston to FA's by upholding this mantra that Morey doesn't care.

I think it's stupid that fellow Rockets fan parokeet this ideology. It only helps in screwing over our own team. We need to actively shift the narrative and stop feeding into the same garbage. In essence we need more homer glasses to be worn.

1 person likes this.
  12. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

Lol thank you for noting that CH never came back to defend his assertion and challenge my opinions on the matter.

But even then CH on point is a great asset to the CF community. I hope for more sexually charged innuendo threads in the near future.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Bravo, good thread.

If anything, Morey just dehumanizes overpaid and overrated players.

14. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Exactly. These guys are paid to throw a ball in a hoop and people pay to see this done many times in as many ways possible. They are assets to a business structure and will be treated as such to reap in as much cash as possible. All in all DM has transitioned players off the squad into situations that would benefit them.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It's more of a cartel or syndicate than a single company. The main reason for acting as a cartel is so the owners can actually cash in, see the Clippers for a perfect example of how controlled scarcity of owning an LA team turned the price ridiculous.

#75 Aleron, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Actually, now I'm wondering how NBA teams do the actual accounting for player contracts. When they sign a player to a contract, do they just expense the salary, or do they literally call it an asset on the balance sheet? The easiest answer would be to expense it. But, I could imagine ways you might try to capitalize your significant contracts and amortize them over time. I don't know if there'd be any tax benefit for doing so as a practical matter.

Here's a random article I found about the accounting of NBA expenses: http://deadspin.com/5816870/exclusi...-7-million-profit-look-like-a-28-million-loss. Because the original article was wrong and they appended an awkward correction, it's not clear to me whether they are literally putting player contracts on the balance sheet or not. It'd be funny if they did though.

17. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Or they can advise their agents they don't want to play for Houston

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>“<a href="https://twitter.com/ChumRee">@ChumRee</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/ChandlerParsons">@ChandlerParsons</a> Favorite <a href="https://twitter.com/christinaperri">@christinaperri</a> song????” Human!</p>&mdash; Chandler Parsons (@ChandlerParsons) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChandlerParsons/status/507348209661120512">September 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

That's not going to get them stability.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Shots fired.