1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Will McHale hold Ariza accountable if he doesn't give enough effort on D?

McHale doesn't challenge Harden or Howard. At least he should challenge the "role players".

1 person likes this.
  2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

As far as beating a dead horse goes, GoRox2013 anti Morey agenda trumps everything but tinman with TMac.

At the very least most can agree McHale is not a high end coach, so while it's annoying to see it over and over again it's not outrageous to claim he's terrible. I think he's average, which is most likely higher than most people think of him, but I only think there are a few real difference makers as coaches and none are available.

3. alethios

alethios Member

Lin is gone. Now the battle between MOFs and MOHs is rearing its ugly head.

4. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Whoever commented on this through feedback. Comment through the thread or at least leave your name. So I can reply back.

I don't know what happens in locker room. I don't know what McHale says in the locker room, but you are not challenging your players when you see them not giving the efforts yet still keep them on the floor. In my books, those are letting the player get a pass. Even if he does say something to the player in the locker room, the player will never take it seriously if his playtime is not punished by it.

5. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

How is Howard an equal to Kobe? How many rings does he have? Big fat zero. He's not even an equal to Harden(all NBA 1st team) at this point. James may say it's his and Dwight's team, but really it's his team. Harden is going to take the last shot @ the end of games not Howard.

My point was that Kobe is a bleeping dick and probably couldn't stand Dwight. While Dwight needs to be liked and coddled by his teammates, coaches and staff. Dude is still a big kid in a man's body.

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I think he made some very very crucial mistakes. Late game mistakes. Those tend to have a lasting effect on their image.

You're right though, he's certainly not terrible.

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't remember many coaches not playing superstar players. The superstars have more power than the coaches these days. Superstar players get coaches fired, we've seen it happen. When people talk about lack of effort by the Rockets, they are usually talking about Harden and his poor defense. It is a problem, but I don't think benching Harden is the answer, I wish it was that easy. McHale seems to have Harden's respect, now McHale needs to figure out how to use that to get Harden to play both ends of the court. I just don't see Harden responding well to a benching.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't know who did it but I would've said the same thing. Very well classy response.

1 person likes this.
  9. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Don't bench him but cut his mins so he doesn't have an excuse (too many mins) for dogging it on one end of the court. Until he demonstrates he can handle giving effort & concentration on both sides of the court then keep his mins light. Say 25-30 per night. Put the onus on harden to demonstrate that before you have him playing 37 mins per night. That's a minor adjustment that may cause you a few losses here and there but it will get harden's attention yet avoid media fabricated controversy. That is what I would try if I were in Mchale's shoes and unable to get harden's attention & effort.

10. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

They only played 66 games in '11-'12 so thats kind of misleading but I agree with the rest of your post.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I forgot about SVG and the pistons.

I agree with you that he wont be resigned because of the fact that it would have to be a 2-3 year extension at the very least. not sure who will be out there next summer.

i know they chose to exercise the 4th year option, but that was in part because of his ability as a recruiter. melo cited mchale as the only reason he agreed to visit the rockets, he didn't want to disrespect mchale. mchale also had a huge influence on dwight of course, and no doubt had a big hand in getting that verbal agreement from bosh, and would've been a major reason for love to want to play here.

unfortunately we missed out on all of them, and so there is no need for mchale anymore. there are no big name free agents to recruit next summer. there is no major cap room to use either.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

SVG got full control in Detroit-- their front office execs work under SVG. Doc Rivers got full control in LAC.

If the Rockets want to have an established high caliber coach like these two, they will have to give the guy at least a substantial say in personnel matters, if not outright top dog position. But will this ever happen with Morey?

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Should it? Are head coaches really important enough to give them that much organizational control?

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Ask Popovich.

And Pat Riley.

And Duck Rivers.

And Krzyzewski.

And Phil Jackson.

15. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

As far as I know there is only 1 Popovich in the league. I wouldn't use him as an example of anything as far as coaching or control goes. If we could get Pop then I would be down to give him anything he wants. Any coach that would be even remotely possible for us to sign would probably be no where near the coach Pop is. Who on the market would you want to give that kind of control to?

16. New

Agree 100%. What does Mchale do well? The only thing I think he does well is to save own ass by constantly throwing players under the bus: 'we need good ball movement but it got sticky....' (Each time Harden starts to iso although it is Mchale who wants Harden to make something happen...) 'I told the player to call time out if there is no clear path to the basket'.

Do you see the pattern? He made no decision there. He just laid out the plain fact and let the player to take all the decision. He acts as a cheerleader rather than a coach who has a plan and drives his team towards that plan... Was he a leader as a player? Hell no. He excelled at what he was assigned to do but he was not a leader. He could be an inspiration and be likable. However, without taking responsibility and make himself accountable for achieving the goals, he has no real leadership...

When your player's respect for a coach only comes from the coach's history as a player, that's actually a bad thing.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

We could've had Lionel Hollins. He wasn't given control over personnel moves for the Nets. He was just hired as the coach. The idea that a good coach can't be had unless they're given Morey's job as well is BS.

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Duck Rivers? Now way! I heard that he isn't all he's quacked up to be...

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The season is about to start and who have we hired to compensate for this incompetent coach. Yeah, the genius says it doesn't matter. Loyalty and chemistry cannot be simplified into stats.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Only two of those names have ever proven that they can be a coach and a gm of a title team at the same time.