1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Astros @ Royals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Stros were also losing plenty of games (playoffs) during those years. They didn't win a single series until multiple outsiders (Clemens, Beltran, and Kent) arrived. There's no statistical data saying whether throwing inside and/or protecting your players works, but players seem to respect it. Reasonable thought suggests the "good guy" mentality might lead to some level of mental weakness throughout the team which may've effected the team's potential for playoff success. Again, Houston didn't start achieving postseason success until outsiders arrived. Astros didn't throw inside once vs KC. I hope that weak mentality doesn't effect this current group.

And do you really think Springer was crowding the plate?

https://youtu.be/4ARFBMrlwY8

KC threw the pitch right at his hands...
    Then, did Altuve the same way a few pitches later
    Those balls should've been thrown closer to waist level or lower.

You can say our batters were too comfortable, but reality says our guys simply outplayed theirs and KC got mad.

#841 Houstunna, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea there is no doubt he was hit intentionally. Volquez just glared at him and asked for the ball back after he was hit. And watch Perez, he just kind of moved his glove forward in the middle of the zone, no real attempt to move it inside where the pitch was going. He knew the pitch wouldn't need to be "caught"

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

By "intentionally", are you implying they're trying to "hurt" the other team, or they're just doing what it takes to pitch effectively? I have no problem with the latter... really had no problem with what was happening the last series. Just sucks that somebody got injured.

If they've been doing it so much, I'm guessing nobody else has "retalitated" either... or if they have, it obviously hasn't stopped them... so again, I ask, what do you expect to get from "redemption" other than its a cool thing for fans to ask for (that has no practical place in baseball... or in modern society).

Not sure how you can really "measure" that... like you said earlier, if KC is doing it "to everybody", shouldn't they have received the appropriate reciprocal response to create deterrence?

Also, in this situation enough time would have passed to basically make it a "new" event... which would result in any intentional throw by the Astros met with the same retaliation by the Royals, resulting in possibly one of our guys getting injured. No need for that.

They both knew how to pitch inside effectively/with a purpose... and if a player trying to stand on the plate gets hit, they get hit. Again, I don't have a problem with that (provided you even have somebody capable of that precise unintentional/intentional effective inside pitching.

Well, you're also picking guys who threw a helluva lot of games... where HBP's are more often going to be of the accidental variety. If you're accusing the Astros of "never" pitching inside, that's ridiculous...

Its just as ridiculous as believing in all the above.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, now they lost playoff series in 97, 98, 99, and 01 because they were "afraid" to retaliate?

Got it.

Meanwhile, they had the 4th best record in baseball while playing like "pu$$ies"... I'll take it. Bagwell had his hand broken 3 times during that stretch due to pitchers pitching inside... he had every reason to demand retribution or "man-ing up"... and he settled for continuing to put up all-time great numbers and playing on winning teams.

Regarding the end of your post, it was certainly annoying... and if the Astros really believed there was some sort of ill-will/intent besides just simply going inside and taking hitters out of their comfort-zone (part of the game), you'd have seen something idiotic this series.

In the end, nothing happened... and they're all "pu$$ies" that will never win because of it, right?

5. The Beard

I don't think KC was necessarily trying to injury Springer (or others), but I do think he was intentionally hit. And while they might not have been trying to injure him, they certainly don't care that he was injured. And yea, they have hit a lot of batters, and some other teams have come back at them. I don't have the time to look at game by game hit by pitch counts and all of that, but I'm sure they know which teams they better not continue to do that to, and which ones they can and not worry about it. I'm pretty sure I know which of those lists we are on right now also

It's cool though, we aren't going to agree on this

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Except when his glove does go inside to try and catch the pitch...

You guys got some thoughts on the Zapruder film as well?

7. The Beard

Never heard of it

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, we aren't... especially not after the Astros have just won 7 of 9 against them playing the "wrong" way.

I agree they went inside with a purpose... Springer had just gone yard the night before, and he had his breakout series against them last year in KC.

If any of the Royals were mashing the ball like that, the Astros can and should do the same thing (get batters out of their comfort zone)... maybe they'll get fed-up with Pujols or Trout this next series (although I hope not... because that will indicate they're losing).

I do not think any team gets anything positive from "retaliation"... its the baseball equivalent of throwing a temper tantrum.

9. The Beard

Lowrie another hit tonight and playing 3B. Wonder if there is any chance we see him in the LAA series? Probably more likely they wait on trades to open a roster spot, but if he is ready to help just whack Hernandez and let's go

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How many rehab starts now? They said he'd have at least 5-6... but veterans have been known to shorten that themselves when they feel "ready".

I think Lowrie has played enough games in his career that he'll let them know when he wants back in.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Out of curiosity how old are you that you have never heard of the Zapruder film?

12. The Beard

48, trust me i've heard of it

Was just trying to put an end to a discussion that neither party was going to agree to

13. tomato

tomato Member

Baseball retaliation is lame anyway. "That guy is gonna get it! After 2 more outs! In roughly 10 minutes, I'm going to give it to that guy!" Who needs that?

14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Annoying? Only because you know Springer wasn't standing over the plate.

He whooped KC's ass and they did what they thought was necessary to handle it.

And yes, I hope the Stros' weakass mentality doesn't effect them going forward, like it MAY HAVE in years past.

Don't know if you post in other forums, but never say anything remotely close about crediting a player for standing up for himself. You will be a hypocrite.

You and several others posters probably liked that Andre-Finnegan fight.

#854 Houstunna, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  15. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I don't understand how plunking players and giving bases makes you better/edgier. Just strikes me as bad baseball. Beat them in the box score and don't worry about the "mind games."

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Mind games can be extremely effective. There's nothing wrong with employing that kind of strategy.

17. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Unless you're taking away from your own product by trying to game the other team. Not saying it would be the case, but I think people don't give that side of the coin enough thought.

18. tomato

tomato Member

:eek:Yes SIR!:eek:

:rolleyes: If you have a problem with a guy and want to hurt him, then do it, don't be pretending like you're playing part of the game by waiting your turn like you're an RPG character. BTW I'm going to physically DESTROY you in due time. Just waiting for my limit breaker to charge up.

19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Just because you don't agree with or like retaliation doesn't mean it's not part of the game. It's been going on for 100+ years.

If you come back at me, be sure to add more "eye rolls"... it's very masculine.

20. tomato

tomato Member

Oh that's IT! I'm coming for you, get ready eventually.