1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gov. Perry Wants to Eliminate Medicaid and CHIPs (Child Health Program) in Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Nov 8, 2010.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Texas would be the only state to be so barbaric.

In the past Perry for instance tried to outsource the handling of food stamps claims to some contributors and buds, but it turned into a mess and had to be taken back. Aside from blind libertarian/conservative ideology and rank selfishness wherein the rich feel that they can save a few buck at the expense of groups like the severely mentally ill etc, the main attraction is turning previous government services into profit opportunities for their buds.

There is a reason gang why the civil service system was created and we just don't give out all these type of services to the supporters of the political pary in power.

A strong argument can always be made that Texas is the most selfish state in the country. It ranks very near the middlee in per capita income and is almost always in the lower 5 on such measures as the size of welfare check, or expenditures for indigent mental patients etc. The rest of the bottom 5 are states like MS, SC, AL, AR etc that are in the lowest 5 or 10 per capita income.
    http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/node/41388/print

Crooks and Liars
    Monday November 8, 2010 05:00 am
    Rick Perry Thinks Texas Should Opt Out of Medicaid Too
    By Heather
    Newly reelected Texas Governor Rick Perry already said on Morning Joe that Texas and other states should be able to opt out of Social Security. On CNN's State of the Union, he told Candy Crowley that they should be able to opt out of Medicaid as well. Perry said that Texas would create their own insurance program for them which I assume would be privatized given Perry's track record, so basically anyone who could not afford to pay into that system would be hung out to dry.

Crowley asked Perry why this would be good for his state given that they would receive 60% of the money to fund this from the federal government and Perry basically tried to pretend that Texas isn't a welfare state that doesn't already receive more in federal funds than it pays out. Sadly Candy Crowley couldn't be bothered to point out to "that's our money" Rick Perry that his state is doing exactly that.

I pity any of our liberal readers from Texas with having this man reelected as Governor. My state isn't much better with just who got elected to office throughout the state, so I can relate.

Think Progress has more from this interview where Perry and Pawlenty showed their hypocrisy and where their words don't add up to their actions on federal dollars going to their states as well -- Pawlenty And Perry Tout Opposition To Health Law, While Accepting Some Of Its Funding.

I keep wondering when their lies are finally going to come back to haunt the Republicans despite the cover our corporate media keeps giving them. Eventually reality is going come back to bite them in the ass with the electorate because the voters finally start paying attention after enough pain has been inflicted on them to the fact that their policies are not meant to protect the working class in America.

Transcript below the fold via CNN.

CROWLEY: Governor Perry, one of the things I believe you say in your book -- and forgive me for not having read it yet -- is that you think perhaps dropping out of Medicaid, the state dropping out of Medicaid, and you have even talked about dropping out of the children's health insurance program, otherwise known as CHIPs. You've got the last time I looked about 3.6 million children disabled or poor in Texas who would then lose their health benefits. What happens to them if you opt out of Medicaid?

PERRY: What we think works very well -- and I totally agree with what Tim was talking about from the standpoint of those bureaucrats who are shooting these huge numbers forward -- but let me back to the issue at hand.

We would create our own insurance program for them. And I've had a waiver request for four years--

CROWLEY: But the government gives you 60 percent of the money to fund this. How does that add up to help you?

PERRY: We understand that's our money. You talked about us taking stimulus dollars. We send hundreds of billions of dollars to Washington, D.C., and generally don't get very much of it back. We'd just as soon not send as much money to Washington, D.C. Let us in the states come up with the ideas. I can promise you, Pawlenty and Jindal and Barbour and some Democrat governors across this country as well will come up with really good ideas about how to deliver health care. Why not let us pick and choose, rather than this one-size-fits-all mentality that comes out of Washington, D.C., with strings attached?

I've had a waiver for four years in front of Department of Health and Human Services, and haven't gotten an answer yet, to free us from the strings from Washington, D.C. That is the issue at hand. Let the states be the laboratories of innovation and the good ideas will come out of that.

And I can promise you, Pawlenty and I will go snitch from each other and put them in place in our states.

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

what does he care about the poor sick kids... sheesh, come on!

Right there's an untapped market for ONE of his buddies.... one way or another as long as pesky washington would mind their own business!

I wonder how long before we hear more secession talk. My guess would be right around January 2013, if not sooner.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Slightly off-topic: I went to a meeting today with administrators at my kid's private school. She is in kindergarten. They said they will be adopting a new set of standards called "common core standards." They currently use national standards, having abandoned Texas standards years ago for being too low. They said on Texas standards, they had kids using grade-ahead books. These common core standards have been adopted by every state -- except Alaska and Texas. I guess we'll always go our own way, no matter how much it sucks.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I have a friend who is very conservative. He has a wife and 3 small children. Last year, he dropped his insurance because he couldn't afford it. He only has a high school diploma and his job doesn't pay much. His wife is a stay at home mother.

When he dropped his insurance, I suggested he look into CHIP so that at least his kids would be insured. Without bothering to look, he told me he made too much money which I know is a load of crap. I know he just doesn't want to become one of those "lazy freeloading liberals that wants government to do everything for them" so he opts not to take advantage of the program and have his children insured.

5. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

All these dentists offices are popping up in the poor areas all over town because all these kids get state covered dental coverage.

Without paying a penny, they get all this work done are usually overbilled by the dentists but don't care as they didn't have to foot the bill.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is what the voters wanted.

When crises affects people personally they then begin to question values they accept for granted.

Sucks for the kids.

1 person likes this.
  7. JuanValdez

You say that as if it were a bad thing.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Well, the overbilling part is bad.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Perry will say and do anything to promote himself, which is his agenda. He believes this bizarre and very harmful (harmful to the State of Texas) position will make him appealing to the radical/fundamentalist Right that he caters to. He has ambitions for higher office. Don't discount him. He's been successfully running Texas into the ground for years and no one has been able to stop him.

10. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

If it's true, sure. However, as is typical, no data was presented to validate that claim and, accordingly, I wager it to be bull****.

11. JuanValdez

Overbilling would be bad, but that was speculative at best. Besides that, why would we be making poor children (or their parents, to give Rm81 the benefit of the doubt) responsible for policing dentists? The state should (and hopefully does) have mechanisms in place to deter and detect corruption.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Good luck Rick.

13. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Getting dental care as a kid will save big $$ on dental care for them when they are adults. Overbilling won't happen if the state sets rates for certain procedures.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He wants to eliminate the federal program and have a state program instead. I don't really have a problem with that. I think Medicaid could be ran much better, and perhaps he feels the same. Thats just a states rights type of view. To be honest it would probably work fine in Texas, but not in every state. Every state is not equal.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are some problems with the states having it. It could be if a person qualifies it in one state and doesn't in another state, then they would be screwed if something happened while in another state, or if they had to move.

It could also be a hassle for doctors who change states etc.

I understand the point of view regarding states rights, I just think it works better at the Federal level.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This is his opening gambit on closing the $25B budget deficit. It's always easiest to drop services to the poor and economically disadvantaged. They gutted the CHIPS program the last time we had a budget deficit back in 2003. Only this year have we reached the prior service level.

17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why not eliminate Medicare for the great state of Texas?

18. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

Medicare is a federal program.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We have no money for such a program. The fact is that we have a huge multi-billion dollar deficit, made worse by Perry and his buddies turning down Federal dollars in matching funds, etc.. Perry knows this. He's babbling this nonsense for an audience, a particular audience, the audience that, although a minority of the Republican Party, has an inordinate amount of power. I'll repeat it... the state is broke. We have about an $18 billion dollar shortfall over the next biennium, maybe more.

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Even if we had the money Perry might be the least trustworthy public official to run and implement such a thing. I'd trust the Iraqi Coalition Provisional Authority to run a program like that before Rick Perry.