1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't like the Cowboys?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Mar 29, 2000.

1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I've read alot of anti-Cowboy sentiment on this BBS. Any particular reason? I know being from Houston usually means you hate the Cowboys, but I never really understood this one. Was it the attention they got? The Super Bowl rings? I grew up liking the Cowboys because my dad liked them. He became an Oilers fan when he moved to Houston in the '60's. I was born in Houston; I liked the Oilers and still liked the Cowboys. I like Aikman and Emmit, but the actions and all the trouble the rest of the team has been in over the years have caused me to lose all respect for them. I never liked Barry Switzer or Deion, either. If they get good and respectable again, I'll cheer them on, but the Houston team will definitely be my favorite.

So if you don't like the Cowboys, why not?

------------------
    Proud Cheerleader 'til we move to New Orleans

2. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Arrogant fans(present company excluded) is one of the reasons; followed by a disdain for Jerry Jones....Crackhead Irvin...Peon Dion...

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Every team has their share of arrogant fans. If your team is winning super bowls and usually makes the playoffs, you tend to become arrogant. Are u telling me Bulls, Yankees, or Starz fans arent arrogant. I bet there are even some Rocket fans that are arrogant. There were probably also some arrogant Oiler fans. Okay maybe not the Oilers, they obviously did'nt have many fans to begin with, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to move. I just hope that the new Houston team is not going to be called the Texans. That is the dumbest name I've heard. And Apollos is not really a scary football name either. It should be Houston Humidity. The mascot can be a fat sweaty dude.

------------------

4. Drag-On 88

Drag-On 88 Member

ha..ha..ha.. funny [​IMG]

i hope it's not the Texans either, we would have the worst name in the league.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Drag-On 88 (edited March 29, 2000).]

5. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I was about 5 years old when I started hating the Cowboys. It was during my Dad's annual family reunion during Thanksgiving. The Cowboys were playing the Oilers and I was a budding Oiler fan.

Well, most of my Dad's family lived in Austin, College Station, Georgetown, etc and they were all Cowboy fans. But, dangit they were in my house cheering for the Cowboys to beat my Oilers. I found that utterly disrespectful (Yeah, I know I was a weird kid). And from that day on I've rooted against the Cowboys.

It had nothing to do with their Superbowls or winning years. I had everything to do with the Houston / Dallas rivalry that exists on and off the playing field.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

6. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

I have been a Cowboys fan since 4 or 5, probably a couple of years before I became a Rockets fan. I grew up in WV-who has no pro teams, so I aligned myself with my family's Texas roots which later were only made stronger when I lived in Austin & Houston.

The reason people don't like the Cowboys is the same reason they don't like the Lakers and from what I here about Jeff Gordon (though I don't know much about NASCAR)--lots of success, big money, salivating media, hot women--shall I go on???

(Whereas their competitors have little success, salivating players, cold media, big women, hot money, etc.)

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited March 29, 2000).]

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

My first NFL game in person and on TV involved the Houston Oilers. The only reason I hated the Dallas Cowboys was that they were the other Texas team. Remember the Governor's Cup preseason games. Plus while the Oilers struggled in the mid 90's, the Cowboys continued to have some success, so I hated the 'Boys even more.

Now that the Oilers are gone, I still consider the Titans my favorite team in the NFL. Overtime, with the new NFL franchise in Houston things should change.

I admit that I am becoming a little Cowboys fan. I get all 16 Cowboys games whether it be on FOX, CBS, ESPN, or ABC where I live so its hard to keep rooting against them. The NFC East has to be my favorite division in football.

------------------