1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you think will win the title this year?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bryant8, Sep 12, 2002.

1. bryant8

bryant8 Member

The kings are the deepest team but they still dont have the metality to win and dont have superstars who step up but bibby could change that who knows.Webber is in deep trouble,Keon will help them.They are favorites to win by some but who knows.

What about Lakers.10 for phil,class by themselves winning 4 in a row, no team has clones of shaq or kobe.Shaq and kobe are basically impossible to beat when they are 100 percent and hitting their shots.Basically if they score over 65 points or more together bye bye opponents. But I dont know with Shaq and all and how hell be playing.Kobe well hes kobe.Hell do what he needs to do.Role players not so good,not much change in roster.

What do you guys think?Will LA win 4 or get kicked out of the playoffs seriously though.

Mavs,Spurs(they have a problem with kobe) Nets haha maybe raptors.Vince has lots to prove and he better prove it.Orlando maybe?

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on the Kings. But I'd like Dallas to take it. The Lakers aren't going to make it out of the WCF this year, though. And seeing as how Shaq might miss a good portion of the season, there's a chance that L.A. could not have home court advantage early on in the playoffs.

And the east...yeah right!

3. mfclark

mfclark Member

The Kings don't have the mentality to win? Please. That could only come from a Laker fan.

No, the Lakers are not in a class by themselves. Shaq and Kobe have never averaged 65ppg; to think they could do so is ridiculous.

The Kings have to be the West's favorites right now, and by default - favorites to win it all. Their roster additions have gone unparalled by all Western teams currently contending and they proved last year that they can hang with the Lakers.

4. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Money is on the Kings, Heart is with the Rockets! Adding Keon Clark makes them really scary.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's amazing how 27 free throws in one quarter turns a team into "not having the mentality to win". Also, the Spurs have the least problem with Kobe in the league. Bruce Bowen is one of, if not the, best on ball perimeter defender in the league.

Kobe's numbers in the conference semifinals are actually a bit less than they are in either the conference finals or the NBA finals. People have a skewed view of Kobe and the Spurs because of 2001, when Derek Anderson was hurt, Bowen wasn't there, and the extremely undersized Antonio Daniels had to play him on a regular basis. Bowen seems to defend him as well as anyone in the league. Actually, because Bowen defends Bryant so well, the Spurs play much less help defense on Kobe than other teams, which helps them stay out near the three point shooters.

That being said, I think it's foolish not to bet on the Kings. It's obvious that they were the best team last year, and they added a very underrated FA in Keon Clark to an already strong frontcourt. And no, Webber won't be in any big trouble. People said the same thing about Iverson a couple of months ago... and other players before that. Anything is possible, but going by the track record of sports stars in these situations, I wouldn't bet on it.

6. Stevie Francis

sac might end up being the next portland team, lets hope those ego's don't spoil their team.

7. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

i'm sayin its the Kings vs the Nets in the finals, with the Kings taking it in 6.

my far stretched (meaning, pretty unlikely, but i'm not counting them out) underdogs goin to the finals include:

west: clippers (odom would need to get healthy quick) and the rockets (only if Yao becomes a top 4 center in the league this year and health for key players is okay.

east: hawks

BUT REALISTICALLY...its either in the west the Spurs, Lakers, Kings, Mavs, or possibly even Blazers versus in the east either the Nets, Magic, or Pacers. (prob a couple other i can't think of right now in the east).

8. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

If it isn't the Rockets, I couldn't give a damn who wins the Championship. :D

#8 getsmartnow, Sep 13, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2002
  9. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

Amen to that.

10. napster

napster Member

The Lakers are a big question mark because of Shaq's toe, but with what seems to have been a successful surgery, you shouldn't bet against the returning champs.

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Kings vs. Nets in Finals. Kings in 4.

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

If Shaq is healthy - Lakers

No Shaq - Spurs

13. lpbman

lpbman Member

I think it's the Spurs and Lakers, Lakers in 7

and yeah, who cares about the East

14. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms Member

Depends on injuries, but if everyone is at full strength, I'll say the Kings will win it. They would have beaten the Lakers last year if Peja had been healthy. Almost won without him.

I guess I should add that Boston has to be the favorite in the east this year just because Pierce is becoming the Man. Or the Truth. Or whatever. Could be anyone in the East though. Who would have thought that the Nets would have been there last year? We could get another surprise pick this year and some awful team like the Hawks will make it. Who knows?

Who cares? The winner of the West is the best team.

#14 Dusty Bottoms, Sep 17, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2002
  15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Simple,with Shaq its the Lakers,without Shaq its the Kings!

16. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Hmmmm...I dunno. I think the Spurs might be a little to stiff to keep up with the Kings... Ah, hell, what do I care? I hate 'em both.

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Kings.

As has been said before, they are the most talented and would have probably won last year with a healthy Peja.

I also like the way they play ball. You can tell by the way they pass the ball that they will not get eaten up with Portlanditis. There's another team that plays like the Kings, but Argentina isn't in the NBA.:)

18. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

The Houston Rockets will surprise ya'll! :)

19. bajabill

bajabill Member

SA, if they keep DRob healthy, Parker improves as expected, Ginobili should be a huge upgrade, Bowen should be a year better and Duncan, with some help, should become awesome. Even with Smith unable to run, Robinson unable to play much and Ferry/Daniels trying to lay a brick wall, SA was competitive with the LAL. Plus for Parker, BIG Plus for Ginobili, Plus for Bowen, Big Plus for a healthy Drob, Big plus for no Daniels bricks, Big plus for no Ferry Bricks. DRob's health is the key, the rest is already booked.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

bryant8, people are piling on you for this comment, but they misread it. You meant, by "metality," that the Kings don't listen to enough METAL, right? :p I bet Pollard listens to some metal.

Anyway, I actually vote Lakers this year. George is going to be better than ever. And I think the Kings are really going to be hurt by all this hoo-ha with Webber facing serious charges for fibbing to the feds. Phil gets one more ring.