1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oklahoma City

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I might have a pretty good job offer in OKC. I've never been there because why in the hell would I go there, but I figured it can't be so bad. However, reading some stuff on OKC here and there online has made it sound even worse. The "cool" areas of OKC seem to feature things like a Toby Keith themed restaurant and the "Furniture District" (srsly?!?!).

It wouldn't be a permanent move; if I did the move, it'd be because they're offering me significantly more money than I'm currently making. I would only stay for 5 years tops, and I probably wouldn't even sell my house in Houston.

So has anyone been to OKC and what do you think of it? What areas are good (if any)?

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's the most bland, conservative, Red state there is. If your idea of spices are salt, pepper, and fried, you're golden. 'Murica.

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

AstroRocket could help.

4. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

OKC is not too bad. There are good restaurants in the area and there are nice areas in the metroplex. You have NBA basketball, minor league baseball, and 2 major colleges within 1 hour.

I went to OU from '07-'11 but I think that OKC has grown quite a bit in the last few years. Honestly, it is similar to Houston except there are less things to do and a worse winter, but traffic is slightly better.

Toby Keith's is crazy overpriced, and I would not recommend it. If you have any other questions, let me know. I've never heard of the furniture district.

Edit:

Good areas within 1 hour of downtown

Bricktown (in OKC)
    Edmond (15 minutes away)
    Norman (20 miles away)
    Stillwater (~45 miles away)
    Stockyards (in OKC)

5. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I was born in OKC and lived in Edmond when I was a kid. I go back every year or so to see family and friends. I have a pretty objective opinion on the place. If it was me I would go if the money and position were right but I wouldn't want to stay forever. You could easily handle 5 years if you went and wanted to like it. It will have everything you need but it doesn't compare that well to a city like Houston. I think it is just a little bland (so are large parts of Houston) but I have many friends who live there and LOVE it. It does have some pretty cool spots and the city overall is definitely improving.

Also Thunder fans are probably some of the most obnoxious fans of any professional team and you will grow to hate them.

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Just don't become a Thunder fan

7. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

God, so much this. I was there when the team first got there and no one really cared. They got good, fans became obnoxious, and no one knew who PJ Carlesimo was. They remind me a lot of the newer Texan fans. Uneducated on the sport, so it is very hard to hold a serious conversation about the game.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good feedback so far. Thanks. Please supply more if you have it, particularly with reference to where to live with easy access to downtown and good school districts. I might email some of yall later.

As for Thunder Fans, I think I can deal with them. I managed to survive living in Arlington for a year surrounded by Cowboys fans (Mavs were bad but at least not delusional - they were damn good that year).

Plus, in this hypothetical situation, I would be there when Durant and Westbrook leave. So I could constantly remind everyone that the James Harden trade is what ruined everything for them.

In the meantime I would just wear Beverley jerseys every day.

9. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

As far as specific areas go I would check out south OKC. Norman is a pretty cool town with good schools and holds a special place in my heart but its about 15-20 miles from downtown OKC. I would move there tomorrow if I could find a job there. Boomer Sooner!

The Newcastle/Moore/south OKC areas seem to be where my friends with kids are heading to. I don't know what kind of commute you are looking for. The neighborhoods are nice and new and the lots are spacious. I can't personally say much about the schools though sorry.

10. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Nic's Grill ftw! Oh my goodness!

[​IMG]

spoiled for pure goodness!

11. smr6

smr6 Member

I moved up here for work about a year and a half ago. As far as places to live I would look north, specifically Edmond. It is a very nice area, particularly if you have a family (Not sure if that applies to you). South can be more affordable, but the tornadoes seem to hit the south more often. Everyone has told me to avoid Moore (The Moore tornado wasn't the only recent big one to go through that town).

I'm not expert on the area, but my fiancé and I have lived here for 1.5 years now and we haven't had too much to complain about. Of course the night/social life is nothing compared to Houston, but it's not so bad once you meet some people.

12. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

OSU Alumn here.

Stillwater was a great little town. Tulsa sucked.

OKC wasn't bad though. Reminds me of San Antonio a lot with more rednecks and less Hispanics. Bricktown is cool, Love AAA baseball, especially if you're an Astro fan, you'll get to see some of the talent coming through the pipeline just before they go Major.

Nightlife leaves something to be desired. Tornadoes are ****ed for sure and I hated the winter. I lived in Connecticut for 2 years and that was way better than the sleet BS you dill with in OK, and it still can get hot as hell there too.

People are friendly, and when must of my friends from there wanted to party for the weekend, we went to Dallas. lol

So there's that.

13. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

lol deal** got pickles on my mind apparently.

14. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Move to Edmond if you want nice school districts. Broadway extension (77) takes you to downtown, but can be a bit annoying for traffic (nothing as bad as Houston though.)

Yeah, OKC can be dull. No lies.

And this is still Dallas Cowboy country. That and OU/OSU permeate the culture.

15. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

One of my favorite King of the Hill quotes:

Tammi: Hank, don't! Alabaster's a little guy, but he'll mess you up!!
    Hank: No offense, but he's from Oklahoma

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Make sure it's significantly more after you take state income tax into consideration.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Here's the thing about OKC... Their population is about 29% of Houston's, but when it comes to land area OKC is larger. I'm not really sure if this info can be useful to you, but facts are facts.

18. Cranberry_Juice

Is it minority friendly?

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Very few places are minority unfriendly if you go to church and play sports well.

20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Umm it's not 1964.