1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Common Ground

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Oct 11, 2011.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

I think it may be interesting to hear what areas of the common the left and right platforms people on this board would be willing to concede to find common ground. Also what area would you never concede. Everyone knows I lean to the right so I will start with this:

1) Gay Marriage- I do not believe it is right however it is something I can concede because it causes no harm to anyone.

2) Military Cuts- I say this only because I think the greatest threat to our national security is this country going bankrupt. I believe military spending has to be cut to get our debt under control. Our current rate of spending is unsustainable.

As far as something I can never concede, it is abortion.

What would you give up for common ground? :cool:

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Give up? Hell, the Right has been running riot for quite a while. The Left has been giving things up for so many years, I've lost count. I thought I was helping to elect a president who was left of center, but he's not, not particularly. He's center/center-right, in my opinion, on far too many things. Frankly, for one who sees himself as a classic Liberal of the Jack Kennedy era... strong on defense and national security, but not wanting to simply toss money at it, and strong on social issues, I'm tired of backing down. Sure, I could think of something we could find common ground on, apparently, like Gay marraige, and I commend you for that, and I'm willing to restrict abortion to the first trimester, unless the health of the woman is at risk. That's a step towards your abortion stance. Probably have more things than that, but it's all I have now.

**** Stern, and **** the owners.

1 person likes this.
  3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I find it funny that you believe civil rights are negotiable. I think that's where the problem sort of starts. We simply have a fundamental difference in the way we view government. We think the government is there to protect and serve all of us and you think the government is there to take your money, your god, and your independence.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Anything related to taxes or spending, because even though I believe our fiscal hubris now closely reflects our military arrogance in the '60s and '70s, I think anything that happens at the federal level gets offset one way or another at the state and local level.

After almost a decade in the workforce I'm a little less averse to affirmative action than I was before, during or after college; but college attendance is going to be at 80-85% at some point for white kids, so just the sheer volume of justifiably winnable lawsuits and bi-partisan state initiatives should force the Court to kill it off at some point.

I probably wouldn't compromise on being pro-choice; although there is almost no chance of it ever affecting me. That having been said; make it legal and federally funded in half the states, illegal in the other half and expand the Mann Act to somehow enforce a residency requirement for minors, that'd be fine just to get it off the table.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Who cares? :confused: Obama came in as a moderate and gave ground on issue after issue and every single time he did it the result was more nutty demands. Compromise doesn't matter if one side refuses to at all costs.

#5 SamFisher, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Have to agree, at first I supported Obama trying to find this common ground. But it hasn't won him anything. If he gets relected I hope he say **** it and forces what needs to be done. Mainly reverting tax rates on the rich and a large WPA type infrastructure bill.

As for gay marriage. Why in the hell should I care if two guys get married? Doesn't effect me in the slightest. For the idiots in the santicity of marriage crowd why don't we just make it illegal to cohabitate without being married? Or make it illegal to have a child outside of wedlock? Makes about as much sense.

Defense spending. Everyone needs to feel some austerity pain here and that means this sacred cow as well. The stats are well known about how much the US spends compared to the rest of the world. We can't be the world police and not go bankrupt doing it.

I'd be willing for plenty of spending cuts. Where does the GOP want to start? Let's look at the largest. Defense oops nevermind next, Medicare? Already cut the reimbursement rates and Part C subsidies through the PPACA. How about a renegotiation of those rediculous Part D drug costs that the GOP rammed through in 2003? I could go for that. What's next SS? Great let's eliminate the cap and I'd be willing to cut some payments or raise the age. Let's make sure and have a national press conference explaining my idea is to eliminate the cap but the compromise was cutting payments. After that we can really get down to business and cut PBS and the NPR.:rolleyes:

7. cml750

cml750 Member

I could agree to eliminate the $106,800 cap on SS contributions for individuals not on businesses. I don't think we need any extra taxes on businesses with this high unemployment.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Poor people: I think the country should help them but I am willing to sell them out.

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

You mean those businesses that are sitting on record cash levels and profits but are doing nothing to hire, invest, or contribute?

By all means let's not do it on small businesses but obviously Exxon, GE, etc. hiring should not be hindered by a small increase in SS taxes.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Immediately the libs complain that they've already given up too much ground.

Well, what is the reason for that? Obama not a good poltician? The country is further to the right? Other?

11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jack Kennedy is to the right of teh clown you helped elect in 2008.

so, you're really a neocon, who's afraid to come out of the closet.

12. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

these changes won't let me be.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_jN4KPDBxv8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

IMO Obama was naieve in believing that if you attempt to use logic and promote compromise even the GOP would be willing to work with you. What he has discovered is even when you cave (Bush tax extensions) or use their ideas (healthcare reform) they still trash you.

Someone should have clued in Obama that the GOP are just worthless obstructionists capable of doing nothing more than cutting taxes and borrowing and spending (Iraq, Medicare Part D) awaiting the next Dem to blame it all on.

I don't blame him for trying but like any abusive relationship you have to realize the other partner isn't going to change. So screw them and do what needs to be done.

14. cml750

cml750 Member

So do you think the government should just take all the money they are sitting on?

15. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

no sane person thinks that

But shouldn't a corporation or millionaire pay the same % of taxes that you do?

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

No, they should only take all the money from those who make ridiculously idiotic strawman arguments.

1 person likes this.
  17. babyicedog

babyicedog Member

The fact that you are calling the President a clown shows what a lowlife you really are. I would never in a million years call President Bush a clown. So, f**k you, Basso.

1 person likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Republicans are able paralyze the government and carry it out to the point where their threats have teeth.

They also know that the worse the economy is, the more unlikely Obama gets re-elected.

So da libs are sweetening the pot (and theirs too, so I don't feel to bad for those whiny gutless babies) to get ANY legislation out that somewhat resembles progress.

Every session they're lowering the bar inch by inch in order to get little stars when they do something mundane such as raising a friggin arbitrary debt ceiling.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Mr. Clutch, I was being sincere. I'm bitterly disappointed that the President didn't make full use out of the large majority he had before the midterm elections. He was too busy trying to be bipartisan, in my opinion, when he should have been shoving every Democratic agenda item through Congress, ASAP. LBJ would have. Well, one would think you've seen where that has got Mr. Obama.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member