1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[poll]What do think Florida's new "stand-your-ground" gun law?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wnes, Oct 4, 2005.

?

Based on your religious/moral belief, are you for or against this new gun "law"?

1. I am against it because of my belief in Christianity.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. I am for it despite my belief in Christianity.

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. I am against it because of my religious belief (other than Christianity).

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. I am for it despite my religious belief (other than Christianity).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I am agnostic/nonreligious/atheistic and against it because of my moral principle.

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  6. I am agnostic/nonreligious/atheistic and for it - Somebody messes with me, I'm gonna mess with him.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

[Poll] What do you think Florida's new "stand-your-ground" gun law?

Florida Governor Jeb Bush signed a bill into new law, dubbed "stand your ground", which lets people use guns to defend themselves in public places whenever they see fit. Under the new law, people no longer must attempt to retreat or defuse a threatening situation before using violence in order to later claim they were acting in self-defense. People already had that right in their homes, but the law now allows them to meet "force with force" in any place they have a legal right to be.

Governor Bush said that the crime rate in Florida was at its lowest in 34 years. Well, if so, my question is what's the purpose of this new gun law, other than catering to NRA's interests and promoting avoidable violence and tragedies?

link

What do you think?

#1 wnes, Oct 4, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This is the greatest law ever made. Now those muggers will think twice before trying to rob innocent citizens.

3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I hope people can keep level heads.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel sorry for teenagers and minorities in Florida.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

let's see how it works for a couple years. Will Florida be the new wild west?

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it'll be used once, then it will be ruled unconstitutional following

7. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Hmm, why did my post come way before the poll?

I took my time to make the poll. Please vote if you read my initial post but have missed the poll. Thanks.

BTW, I voted option #5.

#7 wnes, Oct 4, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  8. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I am a christian, however I am against it because legally it is unsound. It has nothing to do with religion. Don't see that choice up there.

9. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Well, good call. But too bad I can't edit the poll options. :mad:

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I'm a Christian but I also feel that people have a right to defend themselves. There was only one perfect person, and the rest of us get by as best we can.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Kill them all and let God sort them out?

How long before Vigilantism is legal

Rocket River

12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I always knew there were only two religions in this world: Christianity......and everything else. Its good of wnes to point this out.

13. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

The options on the poll do not suit me. I am against it for legal, political, ethical and moral issues and none of those views are based on whatever religious views I may have or not have.

14. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

If you are religious, do you not let your religion be the guiding principle on a matter like this?

15. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

The poll is not intended for the world, fwiw it's mainly for the U.S. (maybe Canada) viewers here. Am I not correct that Christianity is the majority religion in the U.S.?

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

The thing is the U.S. is made up of a lot of non - Christians also.

17. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

No. I don't expect my government to make laws based on religion.

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

The government can be non-religious, so can the laws. But that's not the point.

If using Christianity as an example, doesn't a Chrisitian always try first to seek direct answers from the Bible when facing a tough call, whether the issue at hand is religious or not? If no obvious answer seems to be available, doesn't he then try to pray for an answer or ask himself what Jesus would do in the same situation?

19. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

15Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. 16They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. "Teacher," they said, "we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are. 17Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?"

18But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, "You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? 19Show me the coin used for paying the tax." They brought him a denarius, 20and he asked them, "Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?"

21"Caesar's," they replied.
    Then he said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

22When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away.

20. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I am not sure what your point is. My response to Pole is that if we looked at the make-up of the people in this country who are religious, the majority of them would be Christians of some denominations. That's why I think having "Christianity" and "other religions" as the two options in the "religious categories" is not unreasonable.