1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Texas Now Has Highest % Of Adults Without Health Insurance

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Aug 11, 2015.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is what happens when you say "No Thanks Obama".

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Get with it Texas!

It's getting embarrassing.

3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Our former 15-year governor can no longer afford to pay his campaign staffers in the very early stages of the Republican primary.

The state has a lot to offer but has been woefully mismanaged by myopic losers. Unfortunately, a lot of easily misled Texas voters fall for their financial shell game. People who think we're saving money by resisting the healthcare law are the same that think we save money by not having a state income tax. I guess if you are uninsured and have no property, you're... okay. The rest of us with rising premiums and property taxes will handle it.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Do these figures include illegal immigrants? Even with Obamacare the vast majority of adults get their health insurance through work. I'm curious how they put these stats together.

5. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I think they would be proud about it in a don't tread on me kind of way

6. g1184

g1184 Member

Wow, Texas is doing worse than Alabama ... the state that had to set up a gofundme account to make up for a $300 million budget deficit ... the state whose senator writes sentences like this:

Shame be upon you Texas ... shame.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This may bump Rick Perry up to 11th place in his Presidential conquest.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Undocumented migrants?

9. SamFisher

Did you read the article?

it's based on Survey data by Gallup.

How many undocumented Migrants 1) are selected and 2) pick up the phone on a random robo-call and start punching in their personal information? Probably disproportionately less than the rest of the population.

It's convenient to blame undocumented unwashed masses for Texas' woes, but it's simply not accurate.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Leaving aside the question of undocumented while yes most adults do get health insurance there are many who don't. Many adults work for very small companies that can't afford to offer insurance, work as independent contractors, like myself are owners of small businesses, or are unemployed for whatever reason. I don't have stats but I would guess that these people make up a significant portion of the adult population.

11. Cohete Rojo

What's your point - that your hunch discounts my question?

12. SamFisher

That your question is not grounded in any rational set of facts and discounts itself.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Texas has a lower percentage of undocumented immigrants as a percentage of the state's population than California and Nevada and both of those states are far better off than Texas in terms of insuring their populations. So no its not illegal immigrants.

Texas just doesnt do a damn thing when it comes to health care access. The state once again cut funding for health care services that target low income communities in the latest budget and that doesn't even account for the fact that Texas refused to participate in any part of the ACA.

14. g1184

g1184 Member

Guess which state has the most undocumented immigrants, and still performed better than Texas.

15. CometsWin

So what percentage of adults get health insurance through work? 80% 60%? If 90% of undocumented immigrants don't have health insurance then it csrtain,y brings the numbers up in a state like Texas.

16. CometsWin

I'm not tryng to compare, I'm trying to get a more accurate figure. If undocumented immigrants make up 70% of uninsured who are using emergency rooms for basic health care then that's sort of a big deal.

17. Cohete Rojo

The Gallup data goes by % of residents. Still not sure what point you are trying to make.

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Even if you are accounting for every illegal immigrant, that's still less than 7% of Texas. Meanwhile over 20% of Texas is still uninsured.

19. SamFisher

That your question is not relevant, coherent or valid and should be ignored.

20. CometsWin

So potentially a third of people without insurance are here illegally? I would say that's fairly significant.