1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Climate Change] Rajendra Pachauri and Willie Soon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Both are being investigated. However, Pachauri has resigned, very suspicious - you'd almost have to think it was done out of guilt. Soon, to my knowledge, has not resigned. But he has accepted money from O&G donors in the past but he may not have disclosed that on his papers sent to journals and publishing bodies requiring disclosure. That lack of action may have been a violation of the Harvard-Smithsonian's ethical code.

1 person likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nice fair & balanced post.

Roger Ailes approves

4. Buck Turgidson

When open this forum and glance at the list of thread titles, the first thing that pops in my brain is Patchouli and Willie.

And that makes me smile.

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I think the biggest issue here is conflict of interest. Good scientific researchers won't compromise their research just to gain funding. If this guy wants to prove that CO2 isn't causing climate change, he should do it without funding from oil companies. Of course, Soon is probably receiving even more money under the table, which makes it worthwhile for him to ignore ethical research standards.

Companies need to be more ethical while not compromising profit. I don't think it is naive to say it is possible to accomplish both. In fact, companies that have higher ethical standards usually find themselves doing quite well (e.g. being environmentally friendly and heavily advertising about being green).

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Funding from any source is ok, as long as it is disclosed properly. In this case, I think he didn't which is a basic failure of ethnic in the Scientific community. More over, his science is pure Junks. The two together said he's just after money and doesn't deserve to be considered again ever.

The folks that readily uses him (such as the Right in Congress) is too easily fooled or doesn't care as long as it fit their beliefs.

7. Cohete Rojo

I don't think Soon's research aimed "to prove that CO2 isn't causing climate change", rather his research aimed to show that there are other influences on climate. There is a difference. And what leads you to believe that he is "receiving even more money under the table"?

That is a bold claim (pun intended). Care to back it up?

8. Cohete Rojo

Uh oh, SpaghettiOs. Looks like someone got kicked out of his own company. Says a lot when your own family don't even want you anymore, after 30 years.