1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[from 2014]The return of Kyle Lowry?? Espn article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 45souf, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Well the package that acquired Rondo was:
    1) Brendan wright (solid back up center but not starter quality)
    2) nelson and crowder (bench players and salary filler)
    3) 2015 protected 1st (projected 18-22 at the time of trade)
    4) 2016 second round pick

Now I like Lowry loads better than rondo but I think they're value is comparable amongst league GM's.

1) Jones = Wright in value.....close but I might give a slight nod to wright since centers are harder to come by.
    2) Bench players and salary filler is about the same
    3) 18th pick is better than what the pick dallas gave up was projected to be
    4) our NY second is better than the one dallas gave up

The package surrounding Jones, salary filler, the 18th and 32nd pick is better than what the celtics got for Rondo. Now the main difference is the celtics were facing a Rondo FA where as the raptors have Lowry locked up. So it would probably need to be an even better deal unless the raptors are forced to trade because of a disgruntled Lowry.

Put Dmo in instead of Jones and that should do the trick but at that point the rockets are better off keeping DMo and just trying to get another PG without having to give up as much. There are certainly more options for the rockets to consider which is exactly the position they should be in. That way they can't be leveraged by trade partners to overpay for a PG when they don't need to be.

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I completely disagree. There is no way GMs value them the same. Lowry will and should fetch way more than Rondo. Rondo was coming off a big injury and was playing like crap in Boston. Lowry is healthy and coming off a great all star seaaon. Not even close.

3. Rox>Mavs

Also Dragic yielded a distant 2021 1st and another first from now until then from Miami and salary filler. Again dragic was a pending FA like rondo and Id say that haul for dragic was worse than the one for Rondo. DM also wouldn't give up Dmo for dragic and though that has partly to do with dragic being a UFA as well as not being sure if he'd resign, but I think a lot still has to do with how DM values a big like Dmo vs a PG in this league. Just my opinion....

4. Rox>Mavs

Lowry is coming off injury and is coming off a bad year as well....

5. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I kinda get the feeling he's still sour with our organization. I'd love to have him back though

6. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Lowry played 70 games this year and he made the all star team averaging 17-4-6. If this is a bad year than sign me up I would that production

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

While I agree with this we have to remember that the market for PGs is limited most teams except the Rockets have a solid starter or young promising player already. Not to mention you've got potential staters coming in via the draft on Thursday in Russel, Mudiay, etc.

A Dmo however is a unique talent as an athletic big man post scorer on a cheap contract.

If a team has to move a Lawson or a Lowry asap how many teams are we really competing against?

8. J Hard

J Hard Member

Yes indeed. Not sure what he saw but the Raptors were a top 2-3 team in the east for most the year and then the wheels just came off for whatever reason. Didn't follow them much, but maybe some of Drake's lameness rubbed off. lol

9. Play07

Play07 Member

I would do DMO+Jones+18th pick if they would take it for lowry+ppat.

I know people love dmo but he's on a expiring. no guarantee we will be able to keep him even with cap going up. He's not getting star money for morey

10. Rox>Mavs

Rondo played 68 so that's a wash. Rondo was 9-5.5-8
    Higher assist and rebounding while averaging 9 points of 9.5 FGA a game and a TS% of 42.2%

Lowry averaged only higher in points but did so off 15 FGA per game and a TS% of 52.6%

So while Lowry is clearly a better offensive threat, rondo facilitates better and is a better defender/rebounder and doesn't look to score nearly as much as Lowry. Lowry had an allstar year but what I meant to say was he had a bad post season and hasn't proved much of anything in the post season. In contrast rondo does have championship experience.

still rondo I think is viewed comparably but has different strengths than Lowry. I without question prefer Lowry over rondo 1) because he's a better fit for this team and 2) rondo's attitude sucks

I just don't think Lowry is valued that much more than rondo in the market and the point of my post was to peg the market rate for what it would take to trade for Lowry using rondo and dragic as the benchmark.

11. Rox>Mavs

that's not saying much....clearly the raptors aren't thinking much of it either if they're looking to blow it up yes?

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I assume you think that someone else might overpay him. You have a point there. My feeling is that he won't be able to achieve more than this season's performance, partly because of the back injury.

Right now, DM will be low balled for D-Mo. He can be traded at the February deadline. If he does show a significant jump, then it's possible that Les/ Morey will re-sign him. Jones is more likely to be dealt right now, in a package with the picks.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

According to raptorshq.com, raptors are exploring trades for Lowry, derozen, and Jonas

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

According to a report by Joe Kotoch at Sheridan Hoops, the Toronto Raptors are actively exploring trades for three core players: Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, and Jonas Valanciunas.

While the source of this report isn't blue chip, it does cite "several NBA executives" and would confirm what Masai Ujiri meant when he referred to the Raptors on Monday as "open for business". Kotoch's sources also mention that Ujiri believes that the Raptors core as it stands today has reached its peak, even in the weaker Eastern Conference.

http://www.raptorshq.com/2015/6/24/8841073/report-raptors-actively-exploring-trades-for-kyle-lowry-demar-derozan

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Give me lowry/ppat for 18/32/dmo/jones/kpap

Edit: actually that would have to include ariza, even Lowry by himself would need more salary to match.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It would impossible to take on both Lowry and Patterson's contracts without giving up Ariza's contract.

Because of Lowry's contract, he'd be pretty tough to trade for, it would literally have to be a 5 or 4 for 1 type of trade. I love to get Lowry back but it looks pretty unrealistic for us.

17. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

agreed, lowry playoff performance sucked ass