1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets need to sign Hassan Whiteside

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by haoafu, Jan 16, 2013.

1. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure where we don't agree here... I said he only needs 2 out of 3. He has size, he doesn't have IQ. So, the question is does he have a high motor? Does he hustle on most plays, especially rebounds?

If yes, then I hope we sign him. If no, then good luck the d-league kid.

2. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I'm sort surprised the heat aren't interested... They need a center bad. I mean I understand they want a veteran but he has a lot to often in terms of rebounding and block shots. Compared to what they have now I think it's perplexing...side note I'm pretty sure Morey is trying to "hide" him in McAllen.

3. basketballholic

He has not demonstrated a high motor in the games he has played in at RGV. However Jarron Collins and many other big men never demonstrated a high motor either. Yet they played and are playing and earning NBA money season after season. Why? Because that kind of length is rare and by itself is effective enough to get them on an NBA roster.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Morey did an interview this morning and was asked about Blocked shots and what that meant statisticly to him and he said he didn't put as much stock in blocked shots as opposed to rebounds. This makes a whole lot of sense because he loves great rebounders as opposed to great shot blockers. Perfect example is Asik. Morey will take a tweener with a motor PF before a tall low motor center

5. basketballholic

Agreed. Anybody that has played basketball is aware of the buffoon guy out there jumping around trying to block everything and is so focused on getting his blocks that he is easy to fake out of position and get inside offensive rebounding positioning on him. I've played with guys like that and I've coached guys that were stupid like that and I've coached against guys that were stupid like that.

That's not the case with Hassan. Watch the game before against Iowa from a couple nights ago where he had the 6 blocks. Just watch him play. He patrols the paint, doesn't bite on very many fakes and he alters a tremendous number of shots with his length that are never seen in the box score. In addition, his rebound rate is very good down there.

Now, I will say this, he's not an elite rebounder in spite of his good rebounding rate, simply because he does not board fundamentally. He's simply the longest guy on the floor and he goes right to the lip to board. He doesn't box out in a classic sense....which he should.....which every NBA player should....which only about 10% of them do. Hassan reacts when the shot goes up just like the overwhelming majority of players do. He gazes at the shot trajectory and step in towards the rim instead of looking around and finding an opponent to put a body on before relocating the ball in the air and then rebounding it. So, he is not fundamentally sound on the boards...just like 90% of NBA players aren't fundamentally sound on the boards. However, he does not have a significant problem being out of position because he whiffed trying to block a shot.

Hassan does use his length very well defensively in the paint area. It's the best thing he does. But his rebounding is more than adequate for the D-league. If he were given 30 minutes a night, he'd average about 18 boards down there. Some of that translates to the NBA level.

Don't take my word for it. All the games are youtubed. You can watch every minute he has played down there.

6. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Now it's too late... Triple double in less than 30 minutes on national TV...

7. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Good stuff OP.

8. RedNation97

RedNation97 Member

Well. That was a solid prediction.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cheaper than Howard -

:)

DD

10. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Maybe you are the real Murray

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How did he do in the playoffs?

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Laughed at this. It took him awfully long to have a good season. (Hassan)

13. DaDakota

Yes clearly his attitude changed, good for him.

DD

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

We'll see, he showed the same idiotic behaviour in the last weeks for Miami and teammates like Wade had some very critical words about him not being fully in it or not being a professional.

15. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

You are mind-numbingly ignorant, Cletus.

16. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

I think the guy that was playing ahead of Whiteside isn't even in the DLeague anymore, let alone the NBA.

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

18. DaDakota

Dunno - don't care, plays his role, doesn't kill the clubhouse - have wanted him since the day he came out of college.

But alas, our front office would rather wait for them to prove themselves than develop anything.

DD

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

hit and miss with Morey and Les lol

every year, every time

20. jbasket

jbasket Member

What a timely response. Truly breathtaking quickness.