1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Monitor] Update on Isaiah Canaan from Vipers blog

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by HoopScribe, Jan 21, 2015.

1. HoopScribe

HoopScribe Member

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/rg...cle_44fbedea-6245-11e3-bae2-0019bb30f31a.html

1.22.15 Canaan's ankle feeling good after strong game

Sunday's NBA D-League Showcase game against Reno was the best Isaiah Canaan has felt in a while as he tries to fully recover from an ankle sprain suffered in November.

Canaan scored 29 points in the 160-153 win, the Vipers' fourth in a row, adding 12 assists and five rebounds while hitting 8 of 17 shots. But most telling was his play during the final minute of a two-point game, when he hit two big buckets - a left-to-right crossover behind-the-back move that left his defender on the ground after he drilled a midrange jumper, and then a pull-up long 3 moments later to take the lead from 1 to 4 with 10.9 seconds left.

“It felt good, just to know you start to feel the same way you felt before you got hurt," Canaan said after practice Wednesday. "I try not to make too many excuses, but it did feel good to be able to do some of the things I used to do and get that explosiveness back. I’ll keep working on it and it will all come back sooner or later.

"It’s come a long way, and still has a ways to go but it feels good.”

Sunday's outing came after a poor showing Friday in Canaan's first game back with the Vipers. Against Erie, Canaan had 13 points on 4-for-14 shooting with five rebounds and five assists. He missed six of his eight 3-point attempts.

“He was hesitant in the first game, wasn’t really exploding like he can," Vipers coach Nevada Smith said. "He was a lot better the second game. He was more comfortable, knew where his minutes were going to be and knew where his shots were going to come from. He played great down the stretch.”

Added Canaan: “The first game, there was a little shock to (the ankle) because I really haven’t gone up and down like that in a long time, but the second game felt great. I was proud of how I felt.”

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, Canaan confirms with several quotes in that article that he is recovering from injury.

So much for the cfnet crowd who claims McHale hates Canaan, despite Coach starting him over Terry, when Bev went down.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

While I have no clue how McHale feels about Canaan one way or the other, I will say that starting Canaan "over" Terry had more to do with keeping Terry in his regular rotation role (and otherwise minimally upsetting the pre-Bev injury rotation) than it had to do with some supreme confidence in Canaan being a better player than Terry. We see this often around the league, where a 3rd stringer gets some spot starts during a starter's injury absence, with the primary backup staying in his backup role.

That said, I've been a big supporter of Canaan's and would love to see him get some meaningful minutes for the Rockets once he's fully recovered from his ankle injury (and the rust from not getting minutes when he first came back).